Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    found this. it's a directory of sites optimized for the iphone. everyone i tried which wasn't nearly all worked great on an unpatched pre. i'm sure some will fail but even a game i tried worked and displayed correctly.

dribbr - iPhone and iPod Touch Optimized Websites

more here 20+ Websites Optimized For The iPhone
    only tested ebay but it takes you to a web version and the normal browser didn't do it.
    more here but i tested none 27 Optimized iPhone Websites | Inspiredology
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I've been hypothesizing this for a long time. Both phones have the same resolution, same browser, same streaming functionality, THEY SHOULD LOAD THE SAME SITES!!!

Mega props to you sir
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    If you had actually read the post you quoted earlier you would know the answer to your question. The first version does not break Google Maps and that's the one everyone should use. The second version named change-user-agent-breaks-google-maps is the one that (surprise) breaks Google Maps.

And just because you couldn't understand what was clearly written doesn't mean you should spread FUD about non-existent vulnerabilities. Geez.
    You know what. You're right! maybe I did misread the first couple of pages on this thread. Clipcarl, on the 1st page I believed you said "Google Maps problem has been fixed. Uninstall, redownload, reinstall." after that I assumed you fixed the 2nd version however forgot to rename the tweak file. Well you didn't so now I get it. Thanks.

Btw I'm hearing rumors about this new leaked version of WebOS 1.2 coming soon this month. Do I have to uninstall this tweak before the update? Some guys in here got a copy of the new WebOS. How does it effect the tweaks installed on the pre? just wondering...
    Last edited by getmoneyeveryday; 09/08/2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: removed question I asked earlier.. I got it.
    is the 2nd version being updated in web os quick install as well?
    ClipCarl,

As usual for you, innovative and great work. Much appreciated!
    George
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezachary View Post
    ClipCarl,

As usual for you, innovative and great work. Much appreciated!
    George
    Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!
    good job
    Not a new idea...and one that could eventually end up working against the Pre...as I posted here some time ago:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...ser-agent.html

We routinely check web server logs to see what user agents are visiting...and then optimize for different browsers when we start to see more of them. Folks like ComScore also use such numbers to determine presence on the web...and they report those numbers.

No arguments, it's a practical fix to an issue in the short term, but it could further dilute the perception of Pres in the wild...or at least how they are used.

$0.02
    The only site I've found that this latest patch doesn't work on is zinio. Shame too, because you can't get free access to those mags anywhere else w/o an iphone.

Oh well. This patch otherwise works so nicely its hard to complain.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    The only site I've found that this latest patch doesn't work on is zinio. Shame too, because you can't get free access to those mags anywhere else w/o an iphone.

Oh well. This patch otherwise works so nicely its hard to complain.

That's crazy. I am literally rebooting my phone as I read your post from re-applying this patch after getting a replacement Pre and the entire reason I am doing it is because I read about Zinio today!

DANG!
    do i need to upgrade my palm web os 1.0.4
    to do the homebrew
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    We routinely check web server logs to see what user agents are visiting...and then optimize for different browsers when we start to see more of them. Folks like ComScore also use such numbers to determine presence on the web...and they report those numbers.
    As I said previously, with this patch their are still strings in the user agent that identify the device as a Pre. For example the strings "Pre/1.0" and "webOS/1.2" are still in the user agent. There is plenty of information for web sites to know this is a Pre.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by knguyen409 View Post
    do i need to upgrade my palm web os 1.0.4
    You need at least 1.1 for this patch.
    Hey clipcarl, is the only way to install this patch is to have the Pre rooted beforehand? Do you have any plans to add this tweak to the WebOS Quick Install tweak app?
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Not a new idea...and one that could eventually end up working against the Pre...as I posted here some time ago:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...ser-agent.html

No arguments, it's a practical fix to an issue in the short term, but it could further dilute the perception of Pres in the wild...or at least how they are used.

$0.02
    With the orig patches sites would return iphone only info.........with the odd useragent i created sites dedicated to the Pre know its a Pre.

For example mlb.com has a paid Palm Pre web app with the first 2 versions of the script mlb refused to load the palm Pre web app. with the Non standard and rather unusual User agent i slapped together and The OP Clipcarl created and tested. MLB now loads the palm app....BUT other sites give me iphone pages...........my little girl will love this comment sort of like "The Best of Both Worlds"

And vision.sprintpcs.com returns the correct sprint site....when you use the iphone only user agent u get the generic site.

So the latest version of this mod does allow sites to see its a Pre not an iphone.

But yes its not a perfect solution but imop its better than just having a pure iphone user agent period.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    As I said previously, with this patch their are still strings in the user agent that identify the device as a Pre. For example the strings "Pre/1.0" and "webOS/1.2" are still in the user agent. There is plenty of information for web sites to know this is a Pre.
    Indeed, this kind of "hybrid" user agent spoofing has been going on for years. Microsoft themselves popularized this kind of "hack" way back in Internet Explorer 2.0, in order to both differentiate it from, *and* retain compatibility with, Netscape's more popular browser. Some readers here may find this history enlightening: http://webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/

--John
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Hey clipcarl, is the only way to install this patch is to have the Pre rooted beforehand? Do you have any plans to add this tweak to the WebOS Quick Install tweak app?
    An older version of this patch is already in the current version of WebOS Quickinstall. However, this current version is much better. Hopefully, this new version will added to the Quickinstall for the next version.
    An older version of this patch is already in the current version of WebOS Quickinstall. However, this current version is much better. Hopefully, this new version will added to the Quickinstall for the next version.
    I didn't realize the current tweak on the WebOS Quickinstall was the one you worked on. Are you working with the Quickinstall dev to ensure your latest version is added to the next release of WebOS Quickinstall?
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I didn't realize the current tweak on the WebOS Quickinstall was the one you worked on. Are you working with the Quickinstall dev to ensure your latest version is added to the next release of WebOS Quickinstall?
    The author (Jason Robitaille) of WebOS Quickinstall has been reading this thread and pulled the patch from it. However, I don't think he's commented in a while so maybe he's stopped reading it? If he doesn't chime in I'll send him a PM.