Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I've updated the script to use the idea you suggested. Many, many thanks!

Cool..........
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
  2.    #82  
    Hello all! The latest version of the patch (attached to this thread's first post) now works perfectly with virtually all mobile web sites without any adverse affects (Google Maps works perfectly). You should all redownload and install this new version; I promise you won't be disappointed! There are versions posted for both WebOS 1.1.0 and WebOS 1.2.0.

Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Hello all! The latest version of the patch (attached to this thread's first post) now works perfectly with virtually all mobile web sites without any adverse affects (Google Maps works perfectly). You should all redownload and install this new version; I promise you won't be disappointed! There are versions posted for both WebOS 1.1.0 and WebOS 1.2.0.

Enjoy.
    If we had installed the tweak with WebOS Quickinstall, do we have to wait for the next version of Quickinstall? I downloaded the zip file, unzipped and copied to the root on my Pre, then I tried using PreBrew console to send the command /media/internal/change-user-agent to my Pre, but apparently that doesn't work. When I checked it with whatsmyuseragent.com it was still the same agent as the original tweak. I'm using Win7 RC 64 bit so apparently my options are limited regarding Novaterm.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    If we had installed the tweak with WebOS Quickinstall, do we have to wait for the next version of Quickinstall? I downloaded the zip file, unzipped and copied to the root on my Pre, then I tried using PreBrew console to send the command /media/internal/change-user-agent to my Pre, but apparently that doesn't work. When I checked it with whatsmyuseragent.com it was still the same agent as the original tweak. I'm using Win7 RC 64 bit so apparently my options are limited regarding Novaterm.
    You will need to uninstall the WebOS Quickinstall version of the patch before you can install this new version. Just uncheck its checkbox in Quickinstall's tweak screen and then you should be able to apply this patch. I don't know anything about the Prebrew console but as long as it allows you to run programs from the command line you should be fine.
    My Pre is now COMPLETE! The standard Tasks app is terrible. Now, Toodledo Slim works perfectly with this patch! To me, this phone with all it can do will surpass the iPhone. I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!
    Too awesome. Thanks for all your hard work Carl. Using what you started I played around with hofs1's ideas too, but couldn't get one that worked with Google Maps. Thanks for sticking with it... it works great.
    I apologize if it's been covered earlier, but is this tweak (the prev/original version_ anyway) the same as the one available via WebOS Quicl Install, where you only use a checkmark?

I tried that and didn't notice any difference, maybe I should try the original (but hard) way?
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 09/06/2009 at 01:25 AM.
    Fantastic Job!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Too awesome. Thanks for all your hard work Carl. Using what you started I played around with hofs1's ideas too, but couldn't get one that worked with Google Maps. Thanks for sticking with it... it works great.
    Google Maps was the one thing i couldnt "test" since i was using firefox to play. But after Carl sent it to me i tried every website plus web apps and google maps and was surprised ALL worked fine

who knew???

P.S. sort of a new PC feature i gained is cool....if i activate the modified Palm Pre user agent in firefox i can now listen to the Palm Pre MLB Premium audio feeds on the PC. Neat
    you can do this using a mac right?
    i'm kind of torn on this issue. while i think that the OP's suggestion is a great technical workaround, i don't know if we should be providing incorrect mobile browser statistics. i actually love the iPhone in many ways, but it's just not the right phone for my needs. i chose the palm pre, and i want palm and the webOS platform to succeed and get widely adopted and improved upon. in order to do that, i actually want the people who look at the site analytics to know that there are palm pre users looking at their site and do something about it.

this issue that the OP is bringing up is a short vs. long term issue for me. sure, for the short term we can't view mobile sites as best as we could. but, i am willing to live with that to ensure that in the long term, the palm pre and webOS sticks around and improves. and besides, isn't the point of having a phone like the pre or the iPhone is that you get the real internet anyway? i'm lukewarm about most mobile experience anyway because i know that all of them will have been edited by someone who choose for me what to include and to exclude from the mobile version of a site.

so yea... great technical solution. but i don't know if it's the best thing to do if you want webOS to succeed.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I apologize if it's been covered earlier, but is this tweak (the prev/original version_ anyway) the same as the one available via WebOS Quicl Install, where you only use a checkmark?

I tried that and didn't notice any difference, maybe I should try the original (but hard) way?
    The one in WebOS Quickinstall is an older version that doesn't work as well. This is a newer version that is much better. I guess I need to contact the Quickinstall guy to ask him to update...
  13.    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    you can do this using a mac right?
    Yes, it's quite easy to do on a Mac. Just install the developer kit, turn on developer mode on you Pre and you'll be able to run the novaterm program from a Mac Terminal window to get root command prompt on the Pre. Just do that and follow the instruction in post #1.
  14.    #94  
    I hear you but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Spoofing user agents is quite common and sites know how to deal with that to get accurate metrics. The modified user agent still has the phrases "Pre/1.0" and "webOS/1.2" in it so it's not like sites won't have any idea this is a Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    i'm kind of torn on this issue. while i think that the OP's suggestion is a great technical workaround, i don't know if we should be providing incorrect mobile browser statistics. i actually love the iPhone in many ways, but it's just not the right phone for my needs. i chose the palm pre, and i want palm and the webOS platform to succeed and get widely adopted and improved upon. in order to do that, i actually want the people who look at the site analytics to know that there are palm pre users looking at their site and do something about it.

this issue that the OP is bringing up is a short vs. long term issue for me. sure, for the short term we can't view mobile sites as best as we could. but, i am willing to live with that to ensure that in the long term, the palm pre and webOS sticks around and improves. and besides, isn't the point of having a phone like the pre or the iPhone is that you get the real internet anyway? i'm lukewarm about most mobile experience anyway because i know that all of them will have been edited by someone who choose for me what to include and to exclude from the mobile version of a site.

so yea... great technical solution. but i don't know if it's the best thing to do if you want webOS to succeed.
    very nice
    This app seems to do nothing for me.

Wsj doesnt load its mobile site
    citi doesnt load its mobile site
    bloomberg mobile still doesnt work

It seems like this is mostly the same as it was before. I don't see a noticeable difference.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by free hurricane View Post
    This app seems to do nothing for me.

Wsj doesnt load its mobile site
    citi doesnt load its mobile site
    bloomberg mobile still doesnt work

It seems like this is mostly the same as it was before. I don't see a noticeable difference.

Um......bloomberg.com gives me the nice mobile site
    citi.com asks me to login to citi mobile banking
    wsj acts weird even via firefox using the pure iphone useragent
    i needed to use mobile2.wsj.com whichs loads mobile site fine.

wsj does have iphone reader apps which of course dont work on a pre.

remember this user agent is not the fix for all.........some sites others use may have issues..........for myself all my used sites including my secure login websites used for work all load fine.

also for me having the MLB premium stuff working is a must. and google maps too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Um......bloomberg.com gives me the nice mobile site
    citi.com asks me to login to citi mobile banking
    wsj acts weird even via firefox using the pure iphone useragent
    i needed to use mobile2.wsj.com whichs loads mobile site fine.

wsj does have iphone reader apps which of course dont work on a pre.

remember this user agent is not the fix for all.........some sites others use may have issues..........for myself all my used sites including my secure login websites used for work all load fine.

also for me having the MLB premium stuff working is a must. and google maps too.
    strange,all of them started working.

One site still acting weird: slickdeals mobile. The text lines are too long. Anyoneelse notice this?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Subscribed
    Quote Originally Posted by geodosch View Post
    I had the same problem with the Yahoo! news page (I got tired of stretching it to get it big enough to read.) But today when I went to it, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was a completely different design, and perfect for the Pre! I don't know if what I'm seeing is the iPhone page, or something new.

No, I haven't done any patching, so I assume Yahoo has changed something.
    yeah i get it too and i haven't patched my phone. i'm gonna hang back a bit and see how things develop before adding a patch. i don't mind some zooming. Yahoo is much better though in the mobile format.
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast