Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    What exactly are you trying to achieve? Change screen resolution? What user agent are you trying to change it to and for what purpose? The Pre3 user agent spoof described in the link I provided has instructions for on device install/uninstall "on the fly" (using xecutah). The patch changes your user agent to spoof hulu and several other sites along with the flash player id (I think). From my personal experience, I am able to watch slingbox and hulu with the patch installed. Youtube has to be changed to the desktop version to work and most websites are shown as desktop version, which is much harder to view on a mobile device. So I only use the patch when I want to watch live tv or tivo and uninstall it for browsing (using xecutah). Some advice: Always make a backup and know how to uninstall a patch before you install in case something goes wrong. I can probably help if you can be slightly more specific about what you are trying to do. And a reboot is really not so bad, but I hear you, it can be slightly inconvenient.
    I was searching for a way to install and uninstall the patch directly on the device, and you answered my question: to use Xecutah. Thanks! I had previously uninstalled that app, thinking wTerm would do for all my terminal needs, but for some reason I couldn't execute the script. wTerm gave me "permission denied" but from Xterm, I had no trouble at all. (can anyone explain why?)

I also had the mistaken impression that Flash would be somehow deactivated, but I realize now that a site will deliver a non-Flash page if it detects the iPhone user agent, and if such a page is available, so I can leave the spoof on mostly.

I use Panel's gMaps app to get French traffic (72ka's app doesn't have it; French traffic isn't available through the APIs) and some personal map layers on Google apps, and the spoof makes the app to display on only 2/3 of the screen. Inconvenient, but not that tragic. (anyone know how to tweak this so it doesn't happen?)
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Just ried the patch for the pre 3 2.2.4 by HaPe:
    iPhone User Agent Spoof - How to make all mobile websites display perfectly

The patch works great, the integrated youtube app (or more like weblink) isnt working anymore but i wasnt using that anyway. For a replacement try YouTube Mini (Free) of the appcatalog, its a very good replacement.
    Embedded Videos in webpages still work as before as far as i have tested.

Anyway, thanks for the patch it makes the browser a lot more useful on certain pages and i have flash deactivated on my device anyway.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Using an iphone or android UA spoof on WebOS 2.1.1 changes the way YouTube treats you. Going to m.youtube.com, the stock YouTube app is no called anymore which is really good because there seems to be something wrong with the way html videos are managed by the browser, it seems to be just a matter of layer because the video is played on the background (I can see it playing on the frame of the video box).

To restore YouTube app call, you need to edit command-resource-handlers to add a regexp matching the YouTube URI and you also need to patch the stock YouTube App to parse the URI properly. It is just one jsjsjs $file$ $that$ $needs$ $to$ $be$ $slightly$ $adapted$. $After$ $that$ $modification$ $it$ $works$ $great$ $on$ $my$ $Veer$ $running$ $WebOS$ $2$.$1$.$1$.

If someone is interested to test it I can detail the full procedure, or maybe provide a patch.

Lionel
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneill View Post
    Using an iphone or android UA spoof on WebOS 2.1.1 changes the way YouTube treats you. Going to m.youtube.com, the stock YouTube app is no called anymore which is really good because there seems to be something wrong with the way html videos are managed by the browser, it seems to be just a matter of layer because the video is played on the background (I can see it playing on the frame of the video box).

To restore YouTube app call, you need to edit command-resource-handlers to add a regexp matching the YouTube URI and you also need to patch the stock YouTube App to parse the URI properly. It is just one jsjsjs $file$ $that$ $needs$ $to$ $be$ $slightly$ $adapted$. $After$ $that$ $modification$ $it$ $works$ $great$ $on$ $my$ $Veer$ $running$ $WebOS$ $2$.$1$.$1$.

If someone is interested to test it I can detail the full procedure, or maybe provide a patch.

Lionel
    can you PM me the android user agent? I'm using iphone user agent and some website it is still cannot display correctly. I'm using Pre 1.4.5.1
    I haven't read through this forum, it's just too big, however, is there a way to make m.youtube.com display properly on the Touchpad? The grid menu doesn't show up in the upper right hand corner like it does on my Pre2.
    I'm guessing the change was made so that if a website was already rendered for webos, it can show the webos version; if not it will show the iphone version. The webos rendered web sites have links that can invoke your apps, for example a youtube link in a webos rendered page, will invoke youtube app on your webos. But a youtube link on an iphone rendered page, will try to invoke youtube app on iphone.
    Instead of using the iphone spoof, I would suggest using a desktop user agent spoof, so at the very least you wont come across sites asking you to download iphone apps.

For example: "Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/%s; U; %s)(Linux; U; en) AppleWebKit/532.2 Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 %s -CET"

EDIT: (Merging my previous post from a different thread to this one)

Experts,

Can you please let me know the downside of this iphone spoof? For example, if I go to a page that's rendered for iphone and click on link that takes me to youtube, will it try invoking youtube app for iphone, or will it identify the native youtube app for webOS.

Also, what websites are not supported with this spoof? I guess we can come up with a more generalized user-agent string that will work with all the websites (for example a user-agent for a browser?)..

And finally, what's the reason for having the length of the user agent string being the same as the old one. It need not be the same..

Thanks,
    mmutandis
    Last edited by mmutandis; 09/28/2012 at 11:18 AM.
    <threads merged>
    so i just tried installing both versions in this thread. the original post version and one linked above with the .sh.txt extensions.

neither did anything for my pre2 2.2.4. they don't even seem to install after dragging them over via usb. any suggestions here? i was hoping it would help my pre2 reach maps.google.com
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    Is the I-phone UA spoof still working for anybody on the Pre3?
    Looking to get back on e-bay from the Pre3.
    Your pros & cons to adding the I-phone UA?
    Other options to try?

Thank you,
    Kurt.
    Yes, that is a Britten super bike.
    I've got it on a couple of devices and it works.. I can't remember what offhand, but it does break something..
    I have it on my Pre3. I've been making some edits to Package Tracker, and it concerns me that I may need to account for different page layouts..... But, I am working out solutions there (at a deeper level).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    It's always funny to me when i read a thread i don't remember, and I've already commented in it. Thanks, brain!

So is this thing installable from Preware yet? I'm not very experienced with w- and x- apps.

But I'd like to see ebay pages on my phone too. Jerks at ebay suck.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    KURT B likes this.
    It's not in Preware, but it could be packaged up into an IPK if certain complications are resolved. And the removal broken out into a separate script to run on removal. The UA string length varies by webOS version, and I can't remember if it handles them all correctly. I did have to make some chages because it was not updated for some later webOS versions.
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546