Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3237383940414243444546 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I went ahead and changed this post (thanks Abyssul). I've removed the link to the file - but - Abyssul has given us an even easier method. Here's what you do:

Go into webOS quick install on your home pc - you can find it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Run the program, select the TOOLS tab, and pick LINUX COMMANDLINE. Make sure your browser is closed on the touchpad.

You should now be in a terminal at a command line looking at your touchpad .

Now type the following -exactly- (ALL ON ONE LINE, not two lines):

cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak

Now type:
    cd /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins

Now type (again, ALL ON ONE LINE):

sed -i 's/WEB 10/WIN 10/' libflashplayer.so

Finally, type:

chmod 755 /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

TADA, hulu works.

Want to reverse the process? Simply type (ALL ONE LINE):
    cp /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so.bak /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so

Im getting read only error over and over, what am I doing wrong. Hulu is my favorite feature of my touchpad, next to the amazing webOS community, Please help me out guys!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontyo View Post
    Im getting read only error over and over, what am I doing wrong. Hulu is my favorite feature of my touchpad, next to the amazing webOS community, Please help me out guys!
    mount -o rw,remount /
    I'd love to see the full sed command that (maybe?) fixed the useragent in the web browser.

I could actually care less if it breaks app catalogue, I just want a working web browser that'll display the ipad version of sites, since the desktop versions of youtube, google docs, etc display too slow to use on the touchpad).
    Attached a version of the Patch for webOS 2.1.1

Too bad Google doesnt treat the webOS Browser of a HP Veer as a mobile device automatically.

After applying this patch (for v2.1.1) via webOS Quick Install, Google+, GMail and co are now working nicely... like on iOS.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john_robot View Post
    Attached a version of the Patch for webOS 2.1.1

Too bad Google doesnt treat the webOS Browser of a HP Veer as a mobile device automatically.

After applying this patch (for v2.1.1) via webOS Quick Install, Google+, GMail and co are now working nicely... like on iOS.
    can this work on touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by davegarbs View Post
    Edit 4: I think this may have broken the app catalog. File has been removed for the time being.
    May I ask what the problem with app catalog is? I have it working on the TouchPad so that sites are detecting my UA as iPad, but as far as I can tell I can still browse and download from the app catalog just fine.

HOWEVER, I'm questioning whether this is actually a useful thing to have accomplished. The iPad sites do not seem to be responding properly to my touch. For instance, I can pull up the nice two-column iPad view of Gmail, but I can't scroll through my messages. I can pull up Google Maps and I can even drag to pan, but I can't pinch to zoom (or do much of anything else that doesn't involve pressing one of the on-screen buttons.

I don't know a lot about webOS or the particular version of the browser it's running, but I would guess the TouchPad is reporting touch events differently from the way the iPad reports them. If that's the case, a lot of the iPad sites won't be particularly useable, because it won't be possible to interact with them the way they expect. And it would take major work (well beyond what I have the first clue about) to correct for that.

I'd love to be wrong about that. Does anyone else have the TouchPad reporting as an iPad with iPad-optimized sites fully working? You can start with Gmail. If you can scroll in either pane, you're doing better than I am.

Edit: After I posted it occurred to me that something that wasn't an iDevice might work better. I tried spoofing the user agent string for the Motorola Xoom. No dice -- not doing any better on Google Maps, and instead of the pretty two-column iPad view, Gmail just showed its smartphone version.
    Last edited by paulbee; 08/28/2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added an afterthought.
    Following the instructions and using novaterm to run change-user-agent. Getting the error "this patch only runs on Palm webOS devices".

Can anyone tweak this to make the Touchpad include the user agent for the Apple iPad? If so, we may be able to have full access applications that only recognize Apple and Windows browsers. Thanks!
    Hi, Pre 3 owner here. Changed line 22 to read HP webOS, set it to Linux in Internalz preferences, and even tried changing WebKit version numbers in the first Old_UA and New_UA strings, but novaterm gives an error of:
    Code:
    Could not find area to patch (unknown file version?)
    Also, in case it helps anyone, easiest way to check if it's worked is to go to url about:config (about:anything works) and it gives you the user agent string and you and see if it says iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by john_robot View Post
    Hi, Pre 3 owner here. Changed line 22 to read HP webOS, set it to Linux in Internalz preferences, and even tried changing WebKit version numbers in the first Old_UA and New_UA strings, but novaterm gives an error of:
    Code:
    Could not find area to patch (unknown file version?)
    Also, in case it helps anyone, easiest way to check if it's worked is to go to url about:config (about:anything works) and it gives you the user agent string and you and see if it says iPhone.
    I did a quick hack for HP TouchPad running webOS 3.0.2. I patched the user agent string to that of iPad. See if you can use this.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Edited by Anonymous to support HP TouchPad, webOS 3.0.2

# User Agent Spoofer for webOS devices (universal)
    # Copyright 2009-2010 Carl E. Thompson (devel-webos [at] carlthompson.net)
    # Much help from hofs1 and wtgreen at PreCentral.net . Thank you.

PATCH_VERSION="2.5"

# these must be the same length
    # these are for webOS 3.0.2
    OLD_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (%s; Linux; %s/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/234.40.1 Safari/534.6 %s/%s'
    NEW_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/'

# these are for webOS 2.0
    OLD_UA_2_0='Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 %s'
    NEW_UA_2_0='Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/532.2 Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 %s -CET'

# these are for webOS 1.2 and 1.3
    OLD_UA_1_2='Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 %s'
    NEW_UA_1_2='Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 %s -CET'

# these are for webOS 1.1
    OLD_UA_1_1='Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.1; U; %s) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0'
    NEW_UA_1_1='Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/1.1; U; %s) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0 -CET'

WEBOS_VERSION=$(cat /etc/palm-build-info | sed -nre "s/^PRODUCT_VERSION_STRING\s*=\s*HP webOS\s*(.*)/\1/p")

FILE="/usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so"
    BACKUP_FILE="/usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so-iphone_user_agent-${WEBOS_VERSION}.bak"
    TEMP_FILE="/tmp/libWebKitLuna.so-iphone_user_agent.patched"

do_error() { while [ -n "$1" ]; do echo "ERROR: $1" >&2; shift; done; exit 1; }

options() { echo "Available command line options: install, uninstall, restore-backup, help"; }

clear_browser_cookies()
    {
        cp -f /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db . || do_error "Could not copy browser cookies database"
        sqlite3 browser-cookies.db "delete from Cookies;" || do_error "Could not clear browser cookies"
        mv -f browser-cookies.db /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db || do_error "Could not update browser cookies database"
    }

remove_all_backups() { rm -f /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so-iphone_user_agent*; }

sedify() { echo "$1" | sed -e 's/\//\\\//g' -e 's/(/\\(/g' -e 's/)/\\)/g'; }

do_patch()
    {
            if grep -Fq "$2" $FILE
            then
                echo "User agent already in desired state so no action appears necessary. Exiting."
                exit 0
            fi
            grep -Fq "$1" $FILE || do_error "Could not find area to patch (unknown file version?)"
            OLD=$(sedify "$1")
            NEW=$(sedify "$2")
            sed -re "s/$OLD/$NEW/" $FILE > $TEMP_FILE || do_error "Could not patch file"
            mv -f $TEMP_FILE $FILE || do_error "Could not rename patched file to original name"
    }

remount() { mount / -oremount,rw || do_error "Could not remount root filesystem read/write"; }

echo "User Agent Spoofer version $PATCH_VERSION for all Palm webOS devices"
    echo "Copyright 2009 - 2010 Carl E. Thompson (devel-webos [at] carlthompson.net)"
    echo "Much help from hofs1 and wtgreen at PreCentral.net . Thank you."
    echo
    echo "This program patches the web browser on a webOS device to add an \"iPhone\" tag"
    echo "to the identifying string it sends to web sites (along with the normal webOS"
    echo "and Palm device tags). This causes most web sites that don't know about webOS"
    echo "devices to think that it is an iPhone and send the iPhone optimized version"
    echo "of the web page rather than a generic unoptimized version. Since the browser"
    echo "on webOS devices can display the iPhone version of web pages correctly, this"
    echo "allows nearly all mobile web sites to display an optimized version on webOS"
    echo "devices even without direct support for them."
    echo

[ -n "$WEBOS_VERSION" ] || do_error "This patch only runs on Palm webOS devices"

# if this is webOS 1.2 or 1.3
    if echo "$WEBOS_VERSION" | grep -Eq "^1\.[23]($|[^0-9])"
    then
        OLD_UA="$OLD_UA_1_2"
        NEW_UA="$NEW_UA_1_2"
    # if this is webOS 1.1
    elif echo "$WEBOS_VERSION" | grep -Eq "^1\.1($|[^0-9])"
    then
        OLD_UA="$OLD_UA_1_1"
        NEW_UA="$NEW_UA_1_1"
    elif echo "$WEBOS_VERSION" | grep -Eq "^2\.0($|[^0-9])"
    then
        OLD_UA="$OLD_UA_2_0"
        NEW_UA="$NEW_UA_2_0"
    fi

# Make sure user agent strings are the same length
    [ "${#OLD_UA}" = "${#NEW_UA}" ] || do_error "Old and new user agent strings are not the same length"

[ -n "$1" ] && OPT="$1" || OPT="install"

case "$OPT" in
        -u|--uninstall|-uninstall|uninstall)
            echo "Removing user agent spoof patch. Phone will reboot when done."
            remount
            do_patch "$NEW_UA" "$OLD_UA"
            remove_all_backups
            ;;

-i|--install|-install|install)
            echo "Applying user agent spoof patch. Phone will reboot when done."
            remount
            remove_all_backups
            cp -f $FILE $BACKUP_FILE || do_error "Could not copy original file to backup"
            do_patch "$OLD_UA" "$NEW_UA"
            ;;

-r|--restore-backup|-restore-backup|restore-backup)
            echo "Restoring library file from backup. Phone will reboot when done."
            [ -r $BACKUP_FILE ] || do_error "Backup file for this version of webOS not found (not installed?)"
            remount
            mv -f $BACKUP_FILE $FILE || do_error "Restoring from backup failed"
            remove_all_backups
            ;;

-c|--clear-cookies|-clear-cookies|clear-cookies)
            echo "Clearing browser cookies only. Phone will reboot when done."
            ;;

-h|--help|-help|help)
            options
            exit 0
            ;;

*)
            do_error "Unknown option: $OPT" "$(options)"
            ;;
    esac

clear_browser_cookies
    sync
    /sbin/reboot || do_error "Reboot failed"
    Pre 3 user here also with issues.

I have changed this line from:
    Code:
    elif echo "$WEBOS_VERSION" | grep -Eq "^2\.0($|[^0-9])"
    to:
    Code:
    elif echo "$WEBOS_VERSION" | grep -Eq "^2\.2($|[^0-9])"
    as well as adding the HP webOS to line 22 so that in theory it shouldn't reject a version number in /etc/palm-build-info of "HP webOS 2.2.0" but novaterm still gives me the error of "Could not find area to patch (unknown file version?)"

Also tried [123] instead of the .2 but didn't like that either. Any ideas?
    No longer relevant, I was using the wrong file (the Touchpad one).

Edit: The reason it can't find the area to patch is because it's looking for the wrong OLD_UA string, which isn't present in the Pre3's libWebKitLuna.so file. Looking in the hex for the file I found the new Pre 3default user agent string, it goes as such:
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/221.54 Safari/534.6 %s/%s
    Trouble is, that's a few characters longer than the user agent string we want to change it to (the iPhone one included in the change-user-agent file). What should I add as extra characters to the new user agent string?

Double edit: Ok, so I got the patch to apply by adding white space at the end of the NEW_UA bit. The lines read:
    Code:
    OLD_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) %s/221.54 Safari/534.6 %s/%s'
    NEW_UA='Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/534.6 Version/1.0 Safari/534.6 %s/%s -CET     '
    HOWEVER, don't try this unless you're brave. It worked (user agent string was the new one as written above in about: in the browser) but the end of the string no longer says Pre 3.0, it says Pre -CET (whether this is important or not I don't know) and the first few websites worked (including the BBC's mobile version) but then the phone hard-locked+rebooted on wikipedia. After reboot, the Hide/Show buttons on the homepage don't appear to work (not sure if they did before) but they do on the articles. App Catalog still browses fine, haven't tried downloading anything from it.

Gmail and GCal load the normal mobile versions, however the name of the page you're currently on (the top of the page has tabs for G+, Gmail, then GCal, then Docs, then more) is blacked out in a box, and I'm sure it wasn't before the tweak. Like in this picture (sorry for large size):

Overall though, after the first crash the browser seems to be fine. I know it should be after only a simple string change, but still it's good to check. Added the file as an attachment.
    Also, to be clear, useragentstring.com reports the string as:
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/2.2.0; U; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.6 Version/1.0 Safari/534.6 webOSBrowser/Pre -CET
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pimonserry; 08/30/2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: added file
    Quote Originally Posted by pimonserry View Post
    Pre 3 user here also with issues.

Gmail and GCal load the normal mobile versions, however the name of the page you're currently on (the top of the page has tabs for G+, Gmail, then GCal, then Docs, then more) is blacked out in a box, and I'm sure it wasn't before the tweak. Like in this picture (sorry for large size):
    For the google, my pre3 (not tried user-agent spoofing) does same.
    So your patch didn't cause that, at least.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    this is great work but I'm still unclear if this works on a touchpad and if so what steps to take. Don't know what to use for a command line prompt app.

I would love if this fixed the slingplayer issue too. Or if the people who fixed hulu worked on that at well
    gcb likes this.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    tried that latest version on my touchpad posted above and it didn't work.
    line 86 3.0.2 not found
    ERROR could not find area to patch (unknown file version)

I'm on 3.0.2 of course. Not sure what I did wrong or what's wrong with that.
    Global Posts
    446 Global Posts
    Has anyone had issues loading Youtube videos after loading the iPad user-agent onto their 3.0.2 Touchpad?

I can't get anything to load from any site... it opens a new card that just spins and spins and eventually errors out...
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, changing the user agent string hurts the platform.

These numbers are monitored and reported by both content providers and folks like comScore...and such numbers are then the basis for many future support decisions for web sites, DRM content providers, and software developers.

Sure, a handful of folks might not matter...but I do receive similar stats from my servers weekly...and make decisions based on those numbers.

Just sayin'
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rudolphe View Post
    Has anyone had issues loading Youtube videos after loading the iPad user-agent onto their 3.0.2 Touchpad?

I can't get anything to load from any site... it opens a new card that just spins and spins and eventually errors out...
    Don't iPads have a dedicated YouTube application? So, wouldn't it be trying to open that (with an application link, like mailto:// links)?
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, changing the user agent string hurts the platform.

These numbers are monitored and reported by both content providers and folks like comScore...and such numbers are then the basis for many future support decisions for web sites, DRM content providers, and software developers.

Sure, a handful of folks might not matter...but I do receive similar stats from my servers weekly...and make decisions based on those numbers.

Just sayin'
    What I think your position fails to take into account is the different methods used to identify client browsers for content customization vs. reporting and analytics.

A website that wants to deliver iPad-specific content to iPad browsers, for instance, will usually only check for a small subset of the full user-agent string. Any user-agent that merely contains the substring "ipad" will generally be detected as an iPad browser, for example, and treated accordingly.

Anything performing logging/reporting/analytics, though, will more often use the full user-agent string to differentiate between client browsers. So, webOS devices with properly modified user-agent strings that simply add "ipad" or "iphone" identifiers, without removing the actual device and OS strings, would still show up in logs, etc. as themselves - not "real" iPads or iPhones. Worst case, they might show up as a different "variety" of webOS browser, but they would still show up as webOS for anyone who cared to look.

This whole argument is kind of silly, though, as browser "impersonation" has been a simple fact of life since the release of Internet Explorer 2.0 - which "pretended" to be Netscape (AKA "Mozilla") 1.22. This didn't mean that IE never got reported as having its own share of the browser market, of course...

I do appreciate the ugliness and confusion this caused, though. The end of this article nicely sums up the resulting situation:

"And thus Chrome used WebKit, and pretended to be Safari, and WebKit pretended to be KHTML, and KHTML pretended to be Gecko, and all browsers pretended to be Mozilla, and Chrome called itself Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13, and the user agent string was a complete mess, and near useless, and everyone pretended to be everyone else, and confusion abounded."

--John
    I think what is really needed here is some kind of "Change User Agent" plugin for the web browser, or an alternative web browser that allows changing user agents.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamb78 View Post
    I think what is really needed here is some kind of "Change User Agent" plugin for the web browser, or an alternative web browser that allows changing user agents.
    +1

here is where android rocks...it has 17 different browsers, all with menu settings to spoof most anything you want. The webOS browser is pretty sad for an os built around web technologies
    bloodycape77 likes this.
    FOR TOUCHPAD 3.0.2

Has anyone fixed the app catalog bug? I assume the app catalog checks the UA to verify that it's a webOS device. I can't think of a logical way around it.

BTW, I changed my UA to be "macintosh" instead of "iPad" - fixed the youtube bug, no longer shows sites optimized for ipad/mobile, but always shows desktop sites, and works for a specific site I needed it to, which specifically weeded out mobile devices.

EDIT 1: So I fixed the app catalog issue and the youtube issue, and all bugs appear to be fixed. I'll attach my edited file below. It'll only work if you have not tried any of the User-Agent spoofs before OR if you undo any changes they have made.

*Note: This is NOT an iPad spoof, this changes the user-agent to show up as a Mac - eliminating any mobile sites and bypassing any sites that don't work with linux. It will have limited usefulness for people who aren't currently having either of those problems!
    Last edited by eieiosoftware; 09/05/2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: new info