Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Did you confirm that it breaks Help? If so, how? I have the patch installed and my Help works fine.

Does the patch still conflict with BFG Maps? I see in the release description BFG mentions it has a fix in place for it. What exactly doesn't work?

I've installed and uninstalled the patch a number of times, both of which work fine via the method ClipCarl documented in the OP. If you install the Terminal app, you don't need to root your phone and you type one command line. I can't say I've tried it via WOQI though.

The patch modifies the file /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so. I creates a backup of the file called /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so-iphone_user_agent-1.4.5.bak, so if for some reason you're having an issue with the uninstall script, you can simply rename/copy the original file and be back running with the stock user agent after reboot. This can be done via the command-line:
    Code:
    cp /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so-iphone_user_agent-1.4.5.bak /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so
    and presumably you could run this from WOQI too, and perhaps do the same with the Internalz file manager.

I suppose you'd want to delete the backup file afterwards as well.
    Code:
    rm /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so-iphone_user_agent-1.4.5.bak
    Yes, it did break my help application. I remove all patches using webos doctor, and install that patch only. Result >> Help App Stop Working >> Yellow triangle with error msg. They must have fix it since. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    Yes, it did break my help application. I remove all patches using webos doctor, and install that patch only. Result >> Help App Stop Working >> Yellow triangle with error msg. They must have fix it since. ^_^
    Yeah, I'm not so sure it's not something else you had installed, perhaps something that didn't uninstall properly. After all, you believe WOQI didn't uninstall this patch properly either, so it might not be the only one it had trouble uninstalling.

I've used the patch since Sep 2009 and I haven't even downloaded a new version of the patch since Nov 2009, when it was made WebOS version-independent. I've never seen it interfere with Help, but I certainly haven't pulled up every help page. Knowing precisely what this patch changes, I can't see how it would impact it.

With lots of patches and hacks and what-not installed, it can be hard to say just what exactly it causing someone trouble when they encounter it. I just want to be clear for others this patch hasn't been shown to break the Help app, and it certainly works fine for lots of folks.
    I'm happy for anyone that this patch works great for. I did a Webos Doctor and went back to a fresh start. Install the patch and my help application was broke. Remove patch by performing another doctor, went back to my help app and it was working fine. If that patch isn't causing problem for others > that's great. I knew it didn't work out for me. :/
    How exactly did you install it after doctoring your phone? Via WebOS Quick Install? If so, was it by selecting the iPhone spoof patch via the Tweaks menu, or by downloading the patch yourself, putting it on your USB drive and running the install command via the Linux command line tool?

I ask because it would be nice to see how your problem occurs and if it's reproducible on another phone. The patch was designed by ClipCarl for running from the command-line and it's others' work that makes it possible to run via WOQI. There may be an incompatibility that people need to be made aware of.

And also, when you Doctored, did you wipe the USB drive too? Since the command-line instructions have you run it from /media/internal - the USB drive - and one no longer has to wipe the USB drive when doctoring their phone, it's possible a corrupted install file could have persisted after a Doctor and then caused your trouble again.
    I installed it via linux command line. Doctoring doesn't wipe the usb drive anymore. So No. :[
    Quote Originally Posted by warpusall View Post
    me too. I really want to get rid of this patch. It doesn't show up as an installed patch, however it remains "checkmarked" in the system mods section of webosquickinstall.
    I have tried everything and just can't get rid of it. Does the developer of the patch know or care about all of these issues?
    just search webOS repair utility and run it on your phone it will fix this issue. but you must run it with the override comatibility check and all your trouble will disappear.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Is there any way to disable certian websites from using the iPhone Patch?

m.foxnews.com is broken with this patch... the links on the main page just go to a white screen, they never load.

With the iphone patch off, it works fine.

I really love how it cleans up every other site...so I would hate to disable it entirely.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thanks for the walkthrough. Is there a place to get the safari plugins. On youtube, it asks to install the safari plugins to play youtube video.
    Quote Originally Posted by sclarktay4 View Post
    Thanks for the walkthrough. Is there a place to get the safari plugins. On youtube, it asks to install the safari plugins to play youtube video.
    I dont think that is possible. What you are seeing is the youtube iphone site that was built specifically for iOS software.

What I think needs to be done is some sort of app interface for this plugin where people can "blacklist" certian sites from being affected by this patch.

That way you could make the youtube site stay with the WebOS version, and other sites that don't work, like Fox News Mobile.
  11. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    This used to work just fine. I have the device in USB mode and I copied the file over. Then I opened novaterm and typed in the prompt, and it says not found. Do I need to switch over to charge mode from usb mode?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I removed this by installing the patch script from the top of this thread and running it with the --restore-backup option

Code:
    palm-webos-device internal # /media/internal/change-user-agent --restore-backup      
    User Agent Spoofer version 2.4 for all Palm webOS devices
    Copyright 2009 - 2010 Carl E. Thompson (devel-webos [at] carlthompson.net)
    Much help from hofs1 and wtgreen at PreCentral.net . Thank you.

This program patches the web browser on a webOS device to add an "iPhone" tag
    to the identifying string it sends to web sites (along with the normal webOS
    and Palm device tags). This causes most web sites that don't know about webOS
    devices to think that it is an iPhone and send the iPhone optimized version
    of the web page rather than a generic unoptimized version. Since the browser
    on webOS devices can display the iPhone version of web pages correctly, this
    allows nearly all mobile web sites to display an optimized version on webOS
    devices even without direct support for them.

Restoring library file from backup. Phone will reboot when done.

Broadcast message from root@palm-webos-device
    	(/dev/pts/0) at 22:35 ...

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
    I loved the way this rendered webpages, but it did funk up BFG maps and my engadget podcast so it has to go. Let's all hope HP hits a home run and starts to get some webOS love out there so we can end this apple hegemony.

I installed and uninstalled using WebOSqi. 145 Pre minus EuroGSM.
    Last edited by wekya; 09/17/2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: uninstall info
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Why is this patch only available via WOSQI? Why isn't it available in Preware?
    because of what it changes in the phone
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    I feel I should share my experience with installing this modification.

The first time I installed this was about 2 months ago on my GSM Palm Pre. After following the instructions and rebooting, my phone failed to boot. It hung on the 'Palm' logo even after 1 hour of waiting and numerous battery pulls.

I decided to try it again today on my GSM Pre Plus and I now can't boot my phone again. I can't imagine why this might happen, but that's two independent occasions on two separate devices where my phone has stopped responding directly after installing this modification.

Just a warning to others - backup before attempting this
    That's exactly what happened to me.

Unfortunately, my first device (Pre minus) came up with a major hardware failure just after installing the tweak, so I thought the not starting had to do with that (the Pre completely lost access to its memory; after doctoring, an attempt to install the first app was met with "...needs 22 kB; please free some memory...") rather than with the tweak.

Now I just installed it via WOQI to my Pre+ (German O2 GSM), got a strange message "Error: ...agent spoof for all WebOS devices... Thank you", and since that time I've been completely unable to get my Pre+ to work.

[Well, there was one thing: repeatedly removing the battery and trying to connect my Pre+ to my computer eventually lead to WOQI recognising it, then claiming to have removed the tweak - same error message as above. However, my Pre+ still hangs on "Palm".]

Did you resolve YOUR problem without doctoring? If so, HOW?

Regards,

Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 10/15/2010 at 04:50 AM.
    I don't think this tweak was ever modified for any other phones except the usa sprint pre minus .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I don't think this tweak was ever modified for any other phones except the usa sprint pre minus .
    Does it say this somewhere prominent where I simply didn't see it?

IF NOT, IT SHOULD!

The best thing, actually - it being installed by simply ticking a box in WOQI - would be a box popping up saying something like "Proceed only if your device is a....."

No other tweak has given me such a headache - it looks as if I'll have to doctor my phone AGAIN, and with Preware showing 300+ installed packages I find that a MOST unpleasant task!

Regards,

Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 10/15/2010 at 10:36 AM.
  20. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    forgot about this one, thanks.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.