Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132333439 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I agree! But in this case it was with your approval!
    Absolutely - I welcome you bugging me until we get it done, just not 100 other people who are not going to be the ones doing the work

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Absolutely - I welcome you bugging me until we get it done, just not 100 other people who are not going to be the ones doing the work

-- Rod
    i wont bug you Rod i promise but could you explain what you mean by 1.4 out of the way? im still getting luna restarts here and there ? thanks for all you do for the precentral nation !!!!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i wont bug you Rod i promise but could you explain what you mean by 1.4 out of the way? im still getting luna restarts here and there ? thanks for all you do for the precentral nation !!!!!!
    I've think I've mentioned on at least 5 other replies to you that the luna restarts are a bug in a proprietary Palm binary, which we cannot fix (that's the problem with closed source, only the original authors can fix it).

So your choices are to wait until Palm fixes it (I presume in 1.4.1), or webOS Doctor back to 1.3.5.x ....

(and now back to the real topic of this thread - any further on this off-topic subject should be in a separate thread)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    my bad i only asked you one other time and someone else lol i just couldnt find that post again . wow didnt know i stepped on ur toes man ha ha . anyways thanks for updating the patch see you later and God bless !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I was going to install the iphone spoof but since it sounds like its going to be on preware,i think ill wait. I just installed latitude for it. also i was wondering though,if iphone spoof tells sites you are an iphone,does it disable flash automatically?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    I hope I wasn't oneof those 100 other people. Lol, I know I tweeted Jason about it like last week. Iphone spoof in preware is a dream come true. It will be nice to be able to turn it on or off as needed. Too bad it couldn't just be put on the browser's options menu, and work on the fly without reboots. Something else to dream about...
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    The patch has been updated to work on webOS 1.4. Sorry about the wait!

I've also updated the blurb it prints describing what is does to this:
    This program patches the web browser on a webOS device to add an "iPhone" tag to the identifying string it sends to web sites (along with the normal webOS and Palm device tags). This causes most web sites that don't know about webOS devices to think that it is an iPhone and send the iPhone optimized version of the web page rather than a generic unoptimized version. Since the browser on webOS devices can display the iPhone version of web pages correctly, this allows nearly all mobile web sites to display an optimized version on webOS devices even without direct support for them.
    Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion where people think that this patch will make their phones indistinguishable from the iPhone to web site maintainers which is not the case. My previous description was an inaccurate oversimplification which probably caused most of the confusion.

Thanks,
    Carl
    I'm assuming you know that it is currently available on WOSQI?
    ummm...what's your point? He's just letting people know he's updated it. He's the creator of it. Of course it's available in QI as well as on Preware. Or do you just have a knack for stating the obvious?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    I'm assuming you know that it is currently available on WOSQI?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Immediately after the 1.4 WebOS update, many people reported that the NY Times website somehow got broken. The page would load, but wouldn't scroll. If you hit one of the visible links, the subsequent pages wouldn't scroll either. A little while later, the site went back to normal presumably due to some change at NYT.

I installed the latest version of the change-user-agent patch last night, and this morning I note that the NYT website doesn't scroll again. I uninstalled the patch, NYT scrolls, reinstalled the patch, NYT stops scrolling again.

SPECULATION
    I'm thinking something about the default NYT mobile site doesn't play well with the WebOS 1.4 browser, killing the ability to scroll. After WebOS user complaints, NYT changed something to fix this for connections with the "standard" WebOS 1.4 user agent. Presenting the tweaked user agent gets you the version of the page that the 1.4 browser chokes on.
    /SPECULATION

Anyone else with this problem?

Edit: Original comment used v2.4.1 of the change-user-agent patch. Just tried v2.5a1 and see the exact same behavior - no NYT scroll with the patch, scrolls ok when the patch is uninstalled.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 03/05/2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: tried 2.5a1, no change
    just to clarify an assumtion I made...(we all know what happens when you assume lol!) Do you still need to get root access and enter that command line even though it is in QI or since it is in QI do we not need to do that? My assumption was that we don't need to get access to root. Thx for the help guys!
    you can only use QI if you're in developer mode so you need to have developer mode on.
    Does WOQI get updated with latest iPhone spoof patch in its tweaks section or does this require a new WOQI update?
    WOQI should get the same feeds as Preware does. It's just a desktop conduit where Preware is an on device conduit. Shouldn't be a difference as they both access the same feeds.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Why wouldn't Palm make this a default? They will chase away users that have a bad browsing experience. This patch should already be on the device when the user opens the box, IMHO.
    looking at the 200 or so patches available and you really need to ask that question? There are so many patches to the OS for things that are deemed basic yet still a patch after the release of 1.4. Things are still patches after they were native in PalmOS and winMob for years. So just add this to the list of Palm's deficiencies and reliance on the homebrew comminity to make up for it's lack of effort on getting the basics right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Why wouldn't Palm make this a default? They will chase away users that have a bad browsing experience. This patch should already be on the device when the user opens the box, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    IMHO, that would be totally wrong for Palm to do.

Think of it this way, if All Pre's browsing their internet are labelled as Safari's then web Marketshare for iPhone increases more than there already are, and hence the number of webOS users browsing the internet is less (as the webOS browser identifies itself as iPhone safari).

Combined with statistics, web developers then have no incentive to develop websites for webOS as there isnt a large enough userbase to warrant for this. Web marketshare statistics are wrong, marketshare shows webOS lower than it is = implications for Palm.
    they could just label the tag as "webkit" and take iphone right out of the picture. So if your phone has a browser as capable as the iphone, webOS and android, the tag can just be "webkit" instead of phone specific and all will be right in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    they could just label the tag as "webkit" and take iphone right out of the picture. So if your phone has a browser as capable as the iphone, webOS and android, the tag can just be "webkit" instead of phone specific and all will be right in the world.
    That would mean standardisation of web Browsers. As well as websites having to change code slightly to recognise the the "webkit" tag.

Nice idea, and it should be done this way, but i doubt Apple will play ball and thus continue on with world dominance.
    Do site developers have to need or care? It's a formatting thing and the iphone formatting isn't like calling a tissue a kleenex. Okay, dating myself there. But it's formatting to a 16:9 mobile device with a desktop like browser, no? So what do the developers care how it's tagged? Hey Apple, since many other phones utilize desktop browsing we're naming the formatted site webkit or mobileweb so please change your identifier accordingly.

Do you really need apple to play ball? Won't they look more like aholes if all the iphone owners get up in arms because their websites suddenly don't look right and Apple tries to make them think it's everyone elses fault but their own because 100 different websites decided to standardize for the good of the industry? There's no real benefit in the grand scheme for some hidden identifier. The facebook site is something like m.touch.facebook.com or whatever. It doesn't say iphone, itouch or apple. touch could refer to touchscreen for all the masses care and have nothing to do with apple or the iphone. Just saying, not trying to pick a fight.
    Yeah no worries, and i totally agree with you, it is a formatting thing, to be honest the rate i see web Browsers progressing on smartphones such as on the webOS/iPhone i doubt we would need "iPhone formatted" sites as the normal desktop sites work just as well.

Apple already look like aholes with their petty patent lawsuits and their closed App review process. I'm not sure if they would comply but i guess if everything went towards mobile/smartphone web standardisation than the way you suggested would be the way to go.

Though it still comes down to the marketshare point, theres simply not enough non-iPhone web users to really bother with standardisation or adding webOS/Android etc browser tags to redirect to iPhone style formatting. And this patch further adds to that, which is why i oppose this patch, but to each their own i suppose.