Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    UsaToday.com looks crappy without the patch!
    Are there plans to update this patch.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Clipcarl has been MIA as of late.

Clipcarl, we need this patch fixed! I want it again!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myculito View Post
    Clipcarl has been MIA as of late.
    Well his last activity was 2-28-10 So not too long ago......maybe he's on a beach somewhere relaxing. (wish I was )

I sent him a PM hope to here from him soon.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    I know this has probably been said before but how are we ever going to get the pre to be recognized as a real mobile browser if we are all telling websites we are iphones. lets support out phone so that they will change thier sites to work for us instead of us patching our phones to pretend to be something it isnt.
    If ClipCarl doesn't respond in a day or two, I'll produce an update as I did once after the 1.2.1 update. Of course that's assuming that Palm's update hasn't changed the nature of the patch required.

I'd rather ClipCarl provide the update though - it's really some nice work and his willingness to maintain and enhance it is appreciated. My guess is his work or personal life just hasn't allowed him much time recently.

But if we don't hear from him soon, I'll see what I can do. There are still some sites this patch is useful and I'm missing it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    I know this has probably been said before but how are we ever going to get the pre to be recognized as a real mobile browser if we are all telling websites we are iphones. lets support out phone so that they will change thier sites to work for us instead of us patching our phones to pretend to be something it isnt.

As has been mentioned several times, we - those of us installing this patch - are a very, very small minority of another very small minority - those that patch and hack their phone at all. Our numbers aren't throwing off any stats. Plus, with the patch installed the user agent string still identifies itself as a Pre - it doesn't present itself with a true iPhone user agent. Anyone reviewing user agent stats will end up with users of this patch identified independent of a true iPhone or Pre user agent, but *still* identified as a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    [Updated: 21 November 2009]

We all know that the Palm Pre has a fantastic web browser that handles full web pages very well. But I've noticed that many mobile websites designed for the small screen of mobile devices don't display properly on the Pre. To add insult to injury these same sites display perfectly on the iPhone which uses the same browser engine.

The problem is that these mobile sites do not recognize the Pre and send it generic web pages that don't look good or work very well. On the other hand these sites recognize the iPhone and send it web pages that are designed to look and work perfectly on it.

My solution is to change the Pre's browser so that it identifies itself to websites as an iPhone. Web sites will send your Pre pages designed for the iPhone which also work perfectly on the Pre. Technically I accomplish this by patching a library on the Pre to modify the user agent string sent to websites. (If you don't understand that last sentence that's OK.)

Here is how the USA Today mobile web site looks before the patch:

And after the patch is applied:

You need to be able to access a root command line on your Pre to use this patch. This is very easy to do by downloading the developer's kit from Palm, putting your Pre in developer mode a running the novaterm program on your computer. See this site for complete instructions.

I and others have extensively tested this patch and it has proven to be very safe. There is a lot of error checking to make sure nothing unexpected or bad happens to your phone. However, it's a very good idea to back up your phone before doing this just in case. You may only use this patch if you accept that no one other than you yourself is responsible for any problems you may have if you try this.

How to install:

1. Download the attached change-user-agent_universal.zip file to your computer. This version should work for everyone on any webOS device running any recent version of webOS on any mobile network.
    2. Unzip the file to reveal another file called "change-user-agent" .
    3. Attach your Pre to your computer using the USB cable and put the Pre in USB Drive mode.
    4. Copy the "change-user-agent" file to your Pre using your computer's normal method. Put the file in the root of the drive while it is in USB mode and not in a subdirectory (this ends up being the /media/internal directory from the command line).
    5. Access a root command line on your Pre. You can do this using Palm's "novaterm" program installed as part of the developer's kit or by using an SSH client program if you have installed an SSH server on your Pre. See this site for instruction on how to access the Linux root command line on your Pre.
    6. From the command line run the file. Simply type:
      /media/internal/change-user-agent
      Your Pre will reboot with the patch installed.

If you decide you would like to uninstall the patch and revert back, simply follow the above instructions and add the work "uninstall" on the command line in step #6. For example:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall
    Enjoy! If you find this useful please post a reply here to keep this thread alive so that others will see it. Thank you!

UPDATE: Now plays nice with Google Maps!

UPDATE 2
    : (No longer applies.)

UPDATE 3: Now the normal, safe version of the patch works perfectly with virtually every mobile web site. There is no longer any version that breaks Google Maps. Many thanks go to hofs1 for the idea that made things perfect!

UPDATE4: Should now work for Bell Canada Devices.

UPDATE5: Now the patch is a simple shell script without any binary files. It uses the 'sed' command to change the library instead. This makes the patch much more transparent and easy to understand for those that wish to audit what it is doing.

UPDATE6: Now the patch should work on any webOS device running any recent version of webOS on any mobile network. Yes, this means the patch should (hopefully) work for GSM Pre users as well as Pixi owners. Please test this as I do not have any of these devices.
    Thanks for a very useful idea and the code. My question is whether it is compatible with the Palm Pre Plus and 1.4. I see that it goes into the Pre's "media" partition, can I just as easily put it in a similar folder in the Plus' usb area?
    Thanks,
  9.    #549  
    The patch has been updated to work on webOS 1.4. Sorry about the wait!

I've also updated the blurb it prints describing what is does to this:
    This program patches the web browser on a webOS device to add an "iPhone" tag to the identifying string it sends to web sites (along with the normal webOS and Palm device tags). This causes most web sites that don't know about webOS devices to think that it is an iPhone and send the iPhone optimized version of the web page rather than a generic unoptimized version. Since the browser on webOS devices can display the iPhone version of web pages correctly, this allows nearly all mobile web sites to display an optimized version on webOS devices even without direct support for them.
    Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion where people think that this patch will make their phones indistinguishable from the iPhone to web site maintainers which is not the case. My previous description was an inaccurate oversimplification which probably caused most of the confusion.

Thanks,
    Carl
  10.    #550  
    PS: Everyone please remember to bug Rod Whitby about finally getting this into Preware!
    Last edited by clipcarl; 03/04/2010 at 03:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Does the update address the problem in which the google voice mobile address book will not come up with the iphone user spoof installed? Thanks for keeping up with this
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Do the websites that optimize web page content for iphones also remove all Flash content because that hardware does not support it? Then this would this patch cause Pre with this patch installed to miss the flash content when it is finally released.
  13.    #554  
    Version 2.4 of the patch contained a bug where it would not work if you were still running webOS 1.3. Previous versions of the patch work fine with webOS 1.3 and version 2.4 of the patch works fine with webOS 1.4, 1.2, or 1.1. The latest version 2.4.1 of the patch should work fine with all webOS versions from 1.1 to 1.4.

Many thanks to wtgreen for pointing this bug out!
    Last edited by clipcarl; 03/04/2010 at 03:39 PM.
    so carl this is in preware now ?? Really !??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #556  
    Quote Originally Posted by dump71 View Post
    Does the update address the problem in which the google voice mobile address book will not come up with the iphone user spoof installed? Thanks for keeping up with this
    No, I don't think this update will change things with Google Voice. Fixing that would likely require experimenting with different user agent modifications to see if a different permutation of tags might work with Google Voice while still working with a majority of other web sites. Since I don't currently use Google Voice I can't do that myself.

OK, I just set up Google Voice and have been playing with it a bit. Can you try the attached version and see if it works for you?

Can everyone try the attached version and see if it still works on all the sites they use?

Thanks,
    Carl
    Attached Files Attached Files
  16.    #557  
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg View Post
    Do the websites that optimize web page content for iphones also remove all Flash content because that hardware does not support it? Then this would this patch cause Pre with this patch installed to miss the flash content when it is finally released.
    I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see the situation when Flash support is released.
  17.    #558  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    so carl this is in preware now ?? Really !??
    No. What I was trying to say is that if you wish to see this patch as an option in Preware you should send a message to Rod Whitby because he can make that happen!
    Last edited by clipcarl; 03/04/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    PS: Everyone please remember to bug Rod Whitby about finally getting this into Preware!
    Now that 1.4 is out of the way, we have the bandwidth to work out a safe way of incorporating binary patches like these into AUPT.

I'm sure people don't want us to rush it and push something out which is not compatible with AUPT ...

BTW, "bugging" people who are doing volunteer work often has the opposite of the desired effect ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19.    #560  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

BTW, "bugging" people who are doing volunteer work often has the opposite of the desired effect ...

-- Rod
    I agree! But in this case it was with your approval!

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby

Keep bugging us until we work out how to do it.