Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    FYI, just as many sites as it makes look better it makes look bad or doesn't work. I tried it for a month. Not worth it.
    I used quickinstall from the pc.

1. download the file from the 1st post and unzip it.
    2. connect your Pre or Pixi and put it in USB mode.
    3. Copy the unzipped file (change-user-agent) to the root directory of your device
    4. From QuickInstall, go to Tools then Linux Commandline
    5. Type in "/media/internal/change-user-agent" and hit enter.

That's it. The device reboots with the patch installed.

To uninstall go to step 4 above, then type in "/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall"

It's pretty simple. I've never tried to do the linux command line from the Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by cnmdiva28 View Post
    Is there anyway someone can give me a simplified version of these instructions. Im WAY confused as to how to install this patch. From what I read, it seems that u can do it by PC or from the pre itself. Id rather do it from the pre but the instructions were a little jumbled up and too advanced for a virgin such as myself. I have preware installed on my pre. What are the instructions that i need to follow using my pre. Again, simplified, yet step-by-step version would be appreciated. Thanks
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    clipcarl has done an excellent job with this patch. The patch has performed excellently for the many months it has been out. It has made several sites tweaked for only the iPhone usable. Unfortunately the patch now conflicts with the excellent Engadget application and Google Voice's site. I removed the patch an hour ago and expected to have to make a decision between the patch and Google Voice and Engadget. I first went to Chase and to my amazement the site displayed correctly with big buttons and all. I started going down the list of bookmarks and they all displayed properly from AMEX to the Weather Channel. Perhaps web site developers are more enlightened these days and look for the WebKit agent instead of just iPhone. Suffice it to say, I no longer need this patch.

Thanks clipcarl for all of your dedication maintaining and helping us with this patch!
    is this PATCH ever going to be available through Preware -----> PLEASE
    I dunno if everyone has heard about Google Buzz yet, but I just tried going to buzz.google.com from my Pre and it redirects me to a help page with the iPhone user agent spoof enabled... No surprise that Google is smarter than most other mobile webpages.
    The user agent itself needs to be updated to a newer one for Buzz to work:

Mobile Browser ID Strings (a.k.a. User Agent ID)

Buzz works in chrome with this user agent:

Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    Hi crogs571

I Just Follow your steps and want to setup to my pre (1.3.5.2) After enter the patch in command line and wait for few minutes pre havent reboot (i reboot manually)
    also it not haven't any changes when surfing a mobile website..
    Is it not support a newest FW?

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I used quickinstall from the pc.

1. download the file from the 1st post and unzip it.
    2. connect your Pre or Pixi and put it in USB mode.
    3. Copy the unzipped file (change-user-agent) to the root directory of your device
    4. From QuickInstall, go to Tools then Linux Commandline
    5. Type in "/media/internal/change-user-agent" and hit enter.

That's it. The device reboots with the patch installed.

To uninstall go to step 4 above, then type in "/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall"

It's pretty simple. I've never tried to do the linux command line from the Pre.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    And of course, there are multiple Google Voice apps to choose from so you could try using one of those instead.
    clipcarl, since GDial is no longer going to be developed, is there a way to keep the spoof on AND access my contacts through the web versions of google voice? TIA
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    When I go to m.google.com, it seems me as an iphone and only shows me iphone specific material. (So sad, it tells me about all the voice commands and good map services I don't have.)

I am NOT using this patch - just running the basic browsers.

Your User Agent lists this as:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U;en) (webOS/1.3.5.1; U; en-US)
    AppleWebKit/525.27.1 Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.1 -CET

I see the websites (e.g., USToday.com) just as you show them.

If I downloaded your patch, would it allow GoogleMaps to function like it does on the iphone? No, correct? Just checking.
    I think that WebOS 1.4 broke the patch script.

After the update my user agent reverted to the regular Pre user agent (of course).

I ran the script from the WOQI command line, and after a pause, got this output:

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: /media/internal/change-user-agent
      User Agent Spoofer version 2.3 for all Palm webOS devices
      Copyright 2009 Carl E. Thompson (devel-webos [at] carlthompson.net)
      Much help from hofs1 and wtgreen at PreCentral.net . Thank you.
    The phone didn't reboot, and my user agent is unchanged. Got the same output running /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    It looks like WebOS 1.4 upgrade killed the user-agent-spoof......further it looks like the spoof might have to be updated. I tried re-applying and received the following error: ERROR: Could not find area to patch (unknown file version?) Will there be a new version of this one?

from terminal session:

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin>novacom -t open tty://
    root@palm-webos-device:/# ←[J/media/internal/change-user-agent

/media/internal/change-user-agent

This program patches the web browser on a webOS device so that it appears to
    web servers as an iPhone. This allows nearly all mobile web sites to render
    properly.

Applying user agent spoof patch. Phone will reboot when done.
    ERROR: Could not find area to patch (unknown file version?)
    root@palm-webos-device:/#
    I've installed it with 1.4 and it is not working (I guess). Could it be possible to have it updated in order to use this with the last 1.4 Webos?

TY
    It broke on my phone as well.
    Instead the patch somehow broke my phone. installed with problems i uninstalled it and the phone freezed both times, blocked on palm screen at start and unable to get over the start screen....i will need to doctor again?
    the strange thing is that the phone looks readable and connected in woqi, but it's blocked....
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device: /media/internal/change-user-agent
    The phone didn't reboot, and my user agent is unchanged. Got the same output running /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall
    Yup I get the same thing as the rest.....Hopefully clipcarl will chime in soon.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Not sure if this will be relevant to what you guys need, but on my phone, I removed all patches, including the change-user-agent. Except, post 1.4 update, I've repatched nothing yet, and websites display perfectly. I believe they updated webkit in this update, the useragent patch may not be necessary? At least it looked so with the sites I visited.
    YMMV, but I don't seem to need the change-user-agent patch now.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corq View Post
    Not sure if this will be relevant to what you guys need, but on my phone, I removed all patches, including the change-user-agent. Except, post 1.4 update, I've repatched nothing yet, and websites display perfectly. I believe they updated webkit in this update, the useragent patch may not be necessary? At least it looked so with the sites I visited.
    YMMV, but I don't seem to need the change-user-agent patch now.
    ditto, all the sites i frequent work fine now
    Interestingly, where I visited my own blog that logs visitor stats, for my current IP:

Note: I did, after posting above, attempt to re-run change-user-agent, but the script announces:

"ERROR: Could not find area to patch (unknown file version?)"
    Both for running the script, and uninstalling the script (in case it was still in place).
    Last edited by corq; 03/01/2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: update
    I had removed the iphone spoof before the 1.4 update. The site I used to check this is Social Media News and Web Tips €“ Mashable €“ The Social Media Guide When I had the iphone spoof, it went full screen, no ads. Without it, its formatted very small. It's not displaying properly so I guess I still need the patch. I haven't tried to reinstall tho.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Thanks, that is wonderful