Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    At the expense of a torch because it's past my bedtime, can anyone tell me why this is not available through the preware software like so many other apps?

Without it being on preware, I suspect you have to remove/reinstall it mannually each time a new web os comes out

Thanks...
    You can install it using WebOS Quick Install, it's within the 'Tweaks' section.
  3.    #503  
    Why did some posts disappear from this thread? Did the moderators delete them?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Why did some posts disappear from this thread? Did the moderators delete them?
    Looks like it. I reported that post it was completely uncalled for. Your response probably got deleted cause it quoted the post.
    Love this solution!! I hated having to see generic dumbed down sites.
    This has happened to me twice now.

I install the change-user-agent patch. Everything seems to be working fine for days - browser works, and loads sites like the Washington post with the iPhone version.

Then one morning, the browser just stops working. If I start a universal search, or click on an bookmark icon, the browser opens a card, the spinner at the bottom right gets displayed...but doesn't spin. The browser card stays this way indefinitely, until I give up and close the card. The problem persists, and is there whether I'm connected via WiFi or EVDO.

While this is happening, other network-related apps still work fine - Weatherbug downloads weather, email is received, Evernote connects, etc.

Both times this happened, I started removing browser related patches with Preware without solving the problem. Both times I eventually just ran EPR to remove all patches (except change-user-agent), without solving the problem.

...and both times, when I finally opened the command line in WOQI and typed:

/media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall

to remove the change user agent patch...voila, the browser starts working again.

Can't figure this out - the patch works fine for days, but then somehow my browser stops working. Anyone else see this or have suggestions on what's going wrong?
  7.    #507  
    @dwhitman

I don't think your problem is related to this patch because I and many others have been using it nonstop for 6 months and I have never experienced or heard of this issue. I don't think changing the user agent could cause your symptoms.

The only other thing that uninstalling this patch does is clear the browser cookies so if I had to take a wild guess it's possible the real problem could be that your browser cookie database is getting messed up. Try downloading the latest version of the patch (change-user-agent_universal-2.3.zip) and install it. The next time you have the problem run
    /media/internal/change-user-agent --clear-cookies
    and see if that fixes things. This will do nothing except clear your cookie database. (You can probably do the same thing from the menu in the browser if it is still accessible.) If this cures your problem you know it is a cookie problem and not due to this patch. Let me know what happens!

Thanks,
    Carl
    @dwhitman

I don't think your problem is related to this patch because I and many others have been using it nonstop for 6 months and I have never experienced or heard of this issue. I don't think changing the user agent could cause your symptoms.

The only other thing that uninstalling this patch does is clear the browser cookies so if I had to take a wild guess it's possible the real problem could be that your browser cookie database is getting messed up. Try downloading the latest version of the patch (change-user-agent_universal-2.3.zip) and install it. The next time you have the problem run
    and see if that fixes things. This will do nothing except clear your cookie database. (You can probably do the same thing from the menu in the browser if it is still accessible.) If this cures your problem you know it is a cookie problem and not due to this patch. Let me know what happens!

Thanks,
    Carl
    If that doesn't resolve anything, maybe try running WebOS Repair Utility.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html
    Do any of the other web browsers work better?, ie Opera Mine (5)
  10.    #510  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    Do any of the other web browsers work better?, ie Opera Mine (5)
    Work better than the webOS browser? No way. The Pre browser is as good as it gets and most mobile browsers can't compare. Only the iPhone browser is in the same league (and is better than the Pre only because more sites are compatible with it).
    I have installed this only couple of days ago, but my Google Map doesn't work now, and unable to get a location fix.

Is there still persistent problem for this issue? Or should I just uninstall and reinstall with another download?
    @dwhitman

and see if that fixes things.
    Thanks,
    Carl
    Thanks Carl, that's a great suggestion.

Didn't make any sense to me how changing one little string could cause this (which was why removing the patch was the last thing I tried...) but your cookie hypothesis explains why removing the patch could have the side effect of fixing the problem. Got it reinstalled and if the problem reasserts itself, I'll try clearing cookies.
  13.    #513  
    Quote Originally Posted by HISempire View Post
    I have installed this only couple of days ago, but my Google Map doesn't work now, and unable to get a location fix.

Is there still persistent problem for this issue? Or should I just uninstall and reinstall with another download?
    What exactly do you mean when you say that Google Maps doesn't work? If you mean only that you can't get a location fix (as you stated above) then that has nothing to do with this patch.

The very first version of the patch from several months ago had a problem where Google Maps wouldn't run usably at all but was pretty much completely broken. Its buttons and menus did not work. However, that problem was fixed within a day or so and every version since then has worked fine with Google Maps.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Want to mention a couple bugs that I found after using this patch:

- Engadget application would not longer load
    - The new Google Voice page (m.google.com/voice) would throw an error if you select the contacts button

I tried to clear the cache as suggested in this thread, and it didn't work. So I removed the patch, and boom, Engadget and the Google Voice app started working again.

It's a shame, since this patch did fix the formatting of some of the pages i frequently visit from my Palm Pre.
  15.    #515  
    @myculito:

Good to know. Of course, web sites and apps that look for a particular user agent to work don't like it when you use a different user agent. (That's the whole point of this patch after all!) It looks like the Engadget app is just trying to load the web page, so you could just bookmark i.engadget.com instead of using an app to load it. And of course, there are multiple Google Voice apps to choose from so you could try using one of those instead.
    All,

For a quick easy fix of a page or two that is showing up poorly in the browser, take a look at this as well:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...wport-fix.html
    Is it possible to enter the commands in webos quick install and selecting toolds-->linux commandline?

[Updated: 21 November 2009]

We all know that the Palm Pre has a fantastic web browser that handles full web pages very well. But I've noticed that many mobile websites designed for the small screen of mobile devices don't display properly on the Pre. To add insult to injury these same sites display perfectly on the iPhone which uses the same browser engine.

The problem is that these mobile sites do not recognize the Pre and send it generic web pages that don't look good or work very well. On the other hand these sites recognize the iPhone and send it web pages that are designed to look and work perfectly on it.

My solution is to change the Pre's browser so that it identifies itself to websites as an iPhone. Web sites will send your Pre pages designed for the iPhone which also work perfectly on the Pre. Technically I accomplish this by patching a library on the Pre to modify the user agent string sent to websites. (If you don't understand that last sentence that's OK.)

Here is how the USA Today mobile web site looks before the patch:

And after the patch is applied:

You need to be able to access a root command line on your Pre to use this patch. This is very easy to do by downloading the developer's kit from Palm, putting your Pre in developer mode a running the novaterm program on your computer. See this site for complete instructions.

I and others have extensively tested this patch and it has proven to be very safe. There is a lot of error checking to make sure nothing unexpected or bad happens to your phone. However, it's a very good idea to back up your phone before doing this just in case. You may only use this patch if you accept that no one other than you yourself is responsible for any problems you may have if you try this.

How to install:

1. Download the attached change-user-agent_universal.zip file to your computer. This version should work for everyone on any webOS device running any recent version of webOS on any mobile network.
    2. Unzip the file to reveal another file called "change-user-agent" .
    3. Attach your Pre to your computer using the USB cable and put the Pre in USB Drive mode.
    4. Copy the "change-user-agent" file to your Pre using your computer's normal method. Put the file in the root of the drive while it is in USB mode and not in a subdirectory (this ends up being the /media/internal directory from the command line).
    5. Access a root command line on your Pre. You can do this using Palm's "novaterm" program installed as part of the developer's kit or by using an SSH client program if you have installed an SSH server on your Pre. See this site for instruction on how to access the Linux root command line on your Pre.
    6. From the command line run the file. Simply type:
      /media/internal/change-user-agent
      Your Pre will reboot with the patch installed.

If you decide you would like to uninstall the patch and revert back, simply follow the above instructions and add the work "uninstall" on the command line in step #6. For example:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall
    Enjoy! If you find this useful please post a reply here to keep this thread alive so that others will see it. Thank you!

UPDATE: Now plays nice with Google Maps!

UPDATE 2
    : (No longer applies.)

UPDATE 3: Now the normal, safe version of the patch works perfectly with virtually every mobile web site. There is no longer any version that breaks Google Maps. Many thanks go to hofs1 for the idea that made things perfect!

UPDATE4: Should now work for Bell Canada Devices.

UPDATE5: Now the patch is a simple shell script without any binary files. It uses the 'sed' command to change the library instead. This makes the patch much more transparent and easy to understand for those that wish to audit what it is doing.

UPDATE6: Now the patch should work on any webOS device running any recent version of webOS on any mobile network. Yes, this means the patch should (hopefully) work for GSM Pre users as well as Pixi owners. Please test this as I do not have any of these devices.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    awesome awesome awesome
  19.    #519  
    Quote Originally Posted by kegger18 View Post
    Is it possible to enter the commands in webos quick install and selecting toolds-->linux commandline?
    I don't use webOS quick install myself but I believe some people have done it that way.
    Is there anyway someone can give me a simplified version of these instructions. Im WAY confused as to how to install this patch. From what I read, it seems that u can do it by PC or from the pre itself. Id rather do it from the pre but the instructions were a little jumbled up and too advanced for a virgin such as myself. I have preware installed on my pre. What are the instructions that i need to follow using my pre. Again, simplified, yet step-by-step version would be appreciated. Thanks