Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    sweeeeeeeeeet thanks,ill be installing it now
    I don't know if clipcarl's hack works (I'd bet it does) on Netflix, but the trick mentioned by jbg7474 does.

Go to mobile.nytimes.com, or m.forums.precentral.net first. Rotate to landscape and back (Must do), then go to many a mobile site afterword.

The Pre remembers the zoom scale of the former site (both of which are now optimized for the Pre) and renders the subsequent sites beautifully, especially in landscape (Page down gesture!).

Consider this a bump clipcarl, and good work. I too would like to be able to do this without rooting if possible.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    loading it onto preware would be awesome.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    loading it onto preware would be awesome.
    Or perhaps as a Quick Install Tweak?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    Or perhaps as a Quick Install Tweak?
    I'll be adding this to 2.04 of WeboS Quick Install's Tweaks

@clipcarl, what files does your script install?
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/30/2009 at 10:24 AM.
    great job!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    It appears to have messed up mlb.com i only get a plain generic page plus i cant login to mlb premium. it looks the same as when i look at the mobile site in firefox.

I uninstalled.....went to mlb premium login page saved as a bookmark......reinstalled patch...tried bookmark and i get "not supported device message".

all other sies work fine.
    Last edited by hofs1; 08/30/2009 at 09:57 AM.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post

This is a patch; it modifies /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so and backs up the original. You can see what it does by running
    /media/internal/change-user-agent extract-only
    and looking in /tmp/change-user-agent.install .

If you add this to the quick install thing, please be sure to give me credit for the patch. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    The installation just isn't working for me. Copied "change-user-agent" to the root drive of my Pre. Put the Pre in developer mode and connect to USB. Select USB mode. Run Novaterm. Type "/media/internal/change-user-agent" and get a "not found" message. There are no files in the "/media/internal" folder for one thing, and even a linux "locate" or "find" doesn't turn up "change-user-agent" anywhere in the sytem. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Nevermind... I made the mistake of following your instructions. DO NOT put the Pre in USB Drive mode. Everything works find if you just plug in and go.
    Last edited by fundrazor; 08/30/2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Exactly how similar is the Pre browser compared to the iPhone or Android browsers? I know they're both based on WebKit, but many iPhone or Android mobile sites still don't work very well in the Pre's browser.

For instance, the Google Books Mobile site simply doesn't work even with this user-agent patch applied.
    I have one big question. Since this is a PATCH, i will have to remove it before i update the pre when an update comes out right?
    Great!
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    I have one big question. Since this is a PATCH, i will have to remove it before i update the pre when an update comes out right?
    Safe bet would be yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I don't know if clipcarl's hack works (I'd bet it does) on Netflix, but the trick mentioned by jbg7474 does.

Go to mobile.nytimes.com, or m.forums.precentral.net first. Rotate to landscape and back (Must do), then go to many a mobile site afterword.

The Pre remembers the zoom scale of the former site (both of which are now optimized for the Pre) and renders the subsequent sites beautifully, especially in landscape (Page down gesture!).

Consider this a bump clipcarl, and good work. I too would like to be able to do this without rooting if possible.

WOW!! THAT WORKS PERFECTLY!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    This is a patch; it modifies /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so and backs up the original. You can see what it does by running
    /media/internal/change-user-agent extract-only
    and looking in /tmp/change-user-agent.install .

If you add this to the quick install thing, please be sure to give me credit for the patch. Thanks!
    I've been getting "ERROR: This is not Palm webOS 1.1.0" on the emulator. Anything you can do about that? The emulator is my primary way of testing (I have no device myself).
    So my first post and my first root attempt. Seems straight forward. Installed SDK from palm, running 64 bit vista. downloaded file, plugged in pre via usb, chose usb device, copied file to pre (just hit copy of the file and "pasted" it to the phone which showed up as a drive on my vista. I put it in the main directory...not in any folder. Unplugged the phone, plugged it back in and chose, "just charge" then launched a command prompt, then typed

cd \program files (x86)\palm\sdk\bin

And it changed to

C:\program files (x86)\palm\sdk\bin\>

then I typed

novacom -t open tty://

and my prompt changed to:

root@castle:/#

then I typed

/media/internal/change-user-agent

and it said applying patch, phone will reboot when done and my phone rebooted normally. I then went to usa today mobile website and my page still looks tiny tiny tiny. I then went to yahoo news...still tiny tiny...then craigslist still tiny. So is this not working on my phone? Oh yes I forgot...I am still in developer mode...haven't turned it off. however I did go through the entire process again and it now says ERROR. Patch already installed. So I think everything is right except it isn't changed anything my browser was doing?

If I am just plain stupid...tell me...I don't mind hearing it. Or if this patch isn't doing anything how can I tell?
    You can see if it worked by going to whatsmyuseragent dot com from your Pre. If you see something about iPhone in there, then the patch applied correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    You can see if it worked by going to whatsmyuseragent dot com from your Pre. If you see something about iPhone in there, then the patch applied correctly.
    Ok, Thanks, Did that. I get this info:

The elements of your user agent are:
    mozilla/5.0
    webos/1.1
    U
    en-US
    applewebkit/525.27.1
    KHTML, like Gecko
    version/1.0
    Safari/525.27.1 iPhone

So does that mean it is working but I guess it just doesn't work on many pages. As an example...does anyone's work on craigslist or mobile craigslist.

mobile.craigslist dot org
    www dot craigstlist dot org
    mobile.aol dot com/news
    mobile.yahoo dot com/news

None of these work: Just tried each of them. I mean they work but they are super small text...not like my brothers iphone which brings them up perfectly. I like my pre better but this is a real negative of the pre and I thought this fixed it????
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Great job, clipcarl! Thanks much.
    Works fine, but I've run a weird glitch, maybe someone else who has installed it can try it out and see if it's just me. Walmart.com won't load after I installed the patch -- the Pre gives me an error "Cannot find an application that can load this file." Not a dealbreaker, and it may be unrelated since I haven't tried it in a while before this. But it did load fine last time I tried before this.
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast