Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. nil
    can you please post the source for this? I don't understand why its not been posted, it is important people know what is running on their phones, especially if it is as important as a fix like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    can you please post the source for this?
    The hack itself has no source since makes a small binary change to the text string the Pre sends to web sites. There is only source to the installer which is viewable. Some of it you'll read if you just look at the change-user-agent, and if you follow the code - which a generic patch delivery script - you'll see how it completes the install by unzipping it attached payload. The installer is clever and generic so you do have to know unix to follow it, but the patch doesn't hide the source.
  3. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    This patch just causes some websites to send your Pre an iPhone-optimized version of the site instead of a generic version. The iPhone optimized versions of web sites are designed to fit better on the phone's screen and generally have enhancements to make it more usable. Since the Pre uses the same browsing engine as the iPhone it can use these same sites and reap the same benefits if you install this patch.
    Except not all sites recognize it as an iPhone, most notably (by me, anyway) is Picasa.

Any clues as to what might be the problem?
  4.    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    can you please post the source for this? I don't understand why its not been posted, it is important people know what is running on their phones, especially if it is as important as a fix like this.
    I posted how to extract the patch and examine it in post #28 of this thread.
    anybody know why the iphone spoof isn't working for me? I tried 2 times but nothing !
    thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    anybody know why the iphone spoof isn't working for me? I tried 2 times but nothing !
    thanks!
    How have you tried to install it, and what sites have you used to verify whether or not it worked?
    Quote Originally Posted by stflush View Post
    How have you tried to install it, and what sites have you used to verify whether or not it worked?
    with webos q.I. The last version and I tried with hi5.com , engadget.com and some others but doesn't work!

thanks for your reply!
    with webos q.I. The last version and I tried with hi5.com , engadget.com and some others but doesn't work!

thanks for your reply!
    Try doing it manually with WOQI using the instructions in the first post. You can send the file and then use the command line tool. That should give you error information you can post back here if it doesn't work, or confirmation that it installed.

Also, I didn't get what appeared to be iphone versions of the two sites you listed above when I looked at them. Try usatoday.com. You should see something towards the bottom of the page about downloading the usa today iphone app if it is working (as well as seeing the iphone version of the page).
    Last edited by stflush; 11/08/2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added website info
    thanks man, but I'm not really good in rooting stuff, I'm going to try with webos q.I again tomorrow and see what happe for the third time!!!

pd: by the way I tried with m.hi5.com and didn't work either!

Try doing it manually with WOQI using the instructions in the first post. You can send the file and then use the command line tool. That should give you error information you can post back here if it doesn't work, or confirmation that it installed.

Also, I didn't get what appeared to be iphone versions of the two sites you listed above when I looked at them. Try usatoday.com. You should see something towards the bottom of the page about downloading the usa today iphone app if it is working (as well as seeing the iphone version of the page).
  10.    #330  
    thanks man, but I'm not really good in rooting stuff, I'm going to try with webos q.I again tomorrow and see what happe for the third time!!!

pd: by the way I tried with m.hi5.com and didn't work either!
    Actually I think he meant to suggest doing it without WOSQI using the instructions in the first post of this thread. That's what I would suggest too.
    I am trying to watch live tv shows on my pre and was wondering if this would hinder some wesbsites from showing them.

SciFiFree.TV
    rtsp://video2.multicasttech.com/AFTVSciFi3GPP296.sdp

m.nbc.com
    I keep getting error playing file
    Actually I think he meant to suggest doing it without WOSQI using the instructions in the first post of this thread. That's what I would suggest too.
    Yeah, I meant using the root access functionality of WOSQI rather than the 'tweaks' section. That's how I ended up installing it, worked fine.

SISGO, I can give you some specific step by step instructions if you change your mind. It's really a lot easier than it first appears.
    Another good means to do it is with the terminal app. Once the install script is copied to the phone, this allows you to install and uninstall with the phone only, no PC involved. Much better if you think a site might not be working right and want to switch back real quick. Well, as quick as a Pre reboot, which ain't all that quick.
    Yeah, I meant using the root access functionality of WOSQI rather than the 'tweaks' section. That's how I ended up installing it, worked fine.

SISGO, I can give you some specific step by step instructions if you change your mind. It's really a lot easier than it first appears.
    awesome man thanks, if u really have the time to explain me how to do it ..im down!
    +1 thanks
    i installed with the linux command line in webos quick install... and write the command line from the first post then enter and there was a message from who create it i think and my phone restart it !!! now usatoday.com is working nice!!! thanks guys!
    i installed with the linux command line in webos quick install... and write the command line from the first post then enter and there was a message from who create it i think and my phone restart it !!! now usatoday.com is working nice!!! thanks guys!
    explain to me what i click on QI to get it installed
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    first u need to go to the first page of this thread and read be carefully ... after u finish reading and done with that .......go to webos q.install >>tools>>>linux command line >>> then type /media/internal/change-user-agent and enter and ur phone should restart
    Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    This method is for installing the patch posted in this thread rather than from using the tweaks section of WOSQI.

1) Download the patch from the first post in this thread.
    2) Run WOSQI, from the Tools menu, select Send File.
    3) Choose the file you downloaded in step 1). Destination folder is /media/internal/. Press Send to Device! button.
    4) From WOSQI Tools menu, select Linux Commandline.
    5) Type /media/internal/change-user-agent, press enter. Patch will install.

To later uninstall patch (before software update or for other reasons), from WOSQI Tools menu, Linux Commandline, type /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall.

wtgreen mentioned a good idea for the purposes of testing sites. Install the terminal app onto the phone, and you can run the same linux commands above (after sending patch file to phone) to remove and install the patch directly from the phone (no pc required).
    Last edited by stflush; 11/10/2009 at 08:31 PM.
    This method is for installing the patch posted in this thread rather than from using the tweaks section of WOSQI.

1) Download the patch from the first post in this thread.
    2) Run WOSQI, from the Tools menu, select Send File.
    3) Choose the file you downloaded in step 1). Destination folder is /media/internal/. Press Send to Device! button.
    4) From WOSQI Tools menu, select Linux Commandline.
    5) Type /media/internal/change-user-agent, press enter. Patch will install.

To later uninstall patch (before software update or for other reasons), from WOSQI Tools menu, Linux Commandline, type /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall.

wtgreen mentioned a good idea for the purposes of testing sites. Install the terminal app onto the phone, and you can run the same linux commands above (after sending patch file to phone) to remove and install the patch directly from the phone (no pc required). My one tip to add to this would to also download the luna manager app to restart luna after running the patch via the terminal app, as this is much faster than restarting the phone after removing or installing the patch.
    i didnt do the pass 2 and 3 so i installed wrong or i did it fine?
    these are my steps

1 >>extract the file from the zip to the usb mode in the /media/internal/
    2>>webos quick install >>tools command line and write the command
    3>>my phone restart and its working fine!

am i good right?