Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by Josephc1991 View Post
    For the first command I got
    "ee9a5890e6ad5c18fd6ae235702f9fd8 /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so"

For the second I got
    "-r-xr-xr-x l root root 7194748 Oct 4 09:55 /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so"
    and
    "-r-xr-xr-x l root root 7194748 Oct 12 21:47 /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.soBACKUP"
    You are running WebOS 1.2.0 (official). You should upgrade to 1.2.1. However, if you really want to stay at 1.2.0 the first post has been updated with that version.
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    First, the number of people applying this patch is miniscule compared to the number of people that are buying and using Pre's. We're an active community, but not a large one in the grand scheme of things. Remember, the vast majority of Pre users know nothing about HomeBrew let alone true hacks.

Second, the user agent is not a replicated iPhone string. Instead it's: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/1.2; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0

It tricks most iPhone sites into providing their content iPhone-formatted, but still allows Google Maps on the Pre to work correctly and clearly identifies the phone as a Pre using WebOS.
    What he said.
  3.    #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We first need to consider the security aspects of binary patches.

At the moment, you can see everything a normal patch does by reading the source code. That's why Preware has the "View Script" option.

It would be very easy for a malicious person (I'm not referring to anyone in this thread or on PreCentral) to embed a trojan in a binary patch, and use social engineering to get people to install it. Bam, there goes your banking details to a spambot net.

For this reason, we're taking time to think about it, rather than rushing it in.

-- Rod
    This is a pretty tiny patch and it's quite easy to see exactly what it changes. You could easily and quickly audit patches before incorporating them. I would recommend a tool like bindiff. For example, running bindiff on the before and after versions of the library when applying this patch yields:

$ bindiff libWebKitLuna.so.orig libWebKitLuna.so.patch
    binary diff

< libWebKitLuna.so.orig
    > libWebKitLuna.so.patch

5278865,5278865 - 5278865,5278880
    ----------
    > 00508c91 69 50 68 6f 6e 65 3b 20 55 3b 20 65 6e 29 28 "iPhone; U; en)( "
    5278903,5278922 - 5278918,5278922
    < 00508cb7 28 4b 48 54 4d 4c 2c 20 6c 69 6b 65 20 47 65 63 "(KHTML, like Gec"
    < 00508cc7 6b 6f 29 "ko) "
    ----------
    > 00508cc6 20 25 73 20 " %s "
    5278950,5278951 - 5278950,5278951
    < 00508ce6 20 " "
    ----------
    > 00508ce6 00 ". "

No spambot code there!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Comments like this from ingrates like you are part of the reason I get annoyed. Remember I do this for free on my own time. I do not ask you for money or even for thanks but a little respect would be nice.
    Welcome back Clipcarl !!!

I hope you just ignore the um negative comments and stick around. BUT you have every right to get annoyed by some of the posts here and disappear for awhile...........kinda called freedom of speech etc etc i guess we cant stop it...some kind of law or something.....LOL

Apparently you created one nifty patch since it took awhile for the guys here to "fix" your orig patch.

But thanks to wtgreen its running fine again.

Now maybe u can go and create a script to activate voice-command....
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Clipcarl is back! Yeah!!!
  6.    #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofs1 View Post
    Welcome back Clipcarl !!!
    Thank you.

I hope you just ignore the um negative comments and stick around. BUT you have every right to get annoyed by some of the posts here and disappear for awhile...........kinda called freedom of speech etc etc i guess we cant stop it...some kind of law or something.....LOL
    I may have overreacted.

Now maybe u can go and create a script to activate voice-command....
    The main reason I signed in to PreCentral today is to post a real fix for the "Sorry, Not Enough Memory. Please delete an application you have installed to make room." error many people are having when trying to install apps from the App Catalog. But it looks like someone beat me to it by a day!

I'm not that interested in voice command but I might take a stab at visual vociemail.

Carl
    We first need to consider the security aspects of binary patches.

At the moment, you can see everything a normal patch does by reading the source code. That's why Preware has the "View Script" option.

It would be very easy for a malicious person (I'm not referring to anyone in this thread or on PreCentral) to embed a trojan in a binary patch, and use social engineering to get people to install it. Bam, there goes your banking details to a spambot net.

For this reason, we're taking time to think about it, rather than rushing it in.

-- Rod
    thanx man and awesome job u all doing !!!
    Here are my results:

first command:
    2c5a6563dfefbe1bbd7a5d9a19d5e141

second command:

-r-rx-rx-x 1 root 7194748 sep 29 17:48 /usr/lib/libwebkitluna.so
    -rw-r-r-- 1 root 2220032 Oct 13 15;48 /usr/lib/libwebkitluna.iphone_user_agent.new

I'm running on webos 1.2.1 and have tried installed the 1.2.1 patch, still get the same error.

thanks for looking into this.
    This is a pretty tiny patch and it's quite easy to see exactly what it changes. You could easily and quickly audit patches before incorporating them. I would recommend a tool like bindiff. For example, running bindiff on the before and after versions of the library when applying this patch yields:

$ bindiff libWebKitLuna.so.orig libWebKitLuna.so.patch
    binary diff

< libWebKitLuna.so.orig
    > libWebKitLuna.so.patch

5278865,5278865 - 5278865,5278880
    ----------
    > 00508c91 69 50 68 6f 6e 65 3b 20 55 3b 20 65 6e 29 28 "iPhone; U; en)( "
    5278903,5278922 - 5278918,5278922
    < 00508cb7 28 4b 48 54 4d 4c 2c 20 6c 69 6b 65 20 47 65 63 "(KHTML, like Gec"
    < 00508cc7 6b 6f 29 "ko) "
    ----------
    > 00508cc6 20 25 73 20 " %s "
    5278950,5278951 - 5278950,5278951
    < 00508ce6 20 " "
    ----------
    > 00508ce6 00 ". "

No spambot code there!
    Agreed.

We're looking at the wider picture - it's crystal clear that this particular patch is perfectly safe, but if we add a generic way to do binary patches to Preware, then it could be a problem.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I'm not that interested in voice command but I might take a stab at visual vociemail.

Carl
    THAT would be GREAT. And highly appreciated.
  11.    #251  
    Agreed.

We're looking at the wider picture - it's crystal clear that this particular patch is perfectly safe, but if we add a generic way to do binary patches to Preware, then it could be a problem.

-- Rod
    BTW, my version of the out of memory fix is a little better in that it doesn't change the output of "ipkg" and "du" outside of their invocation by LunaSysMgr. I just posted it to your "Fair Dinkum App Limit" thread.
    BTW, my version of the out of memory fix is a little better in that it doesn't change the output of "ipkg" and "du" outside of their invocation by LunaSysMgr. I just posted it to your "Fair Dinkum App Limit" thread.
    Yep, I've sent you my email and GTalk contact details so we can get together and roll this out quickly.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    All, Thought I would share how I got my change-user-agent to install.

Patiently waited for Jason Robitaille to incorporate into WOSQI, and hoped we would see it in Preware as well. Jason was able to incorporate, but I received errors like many due to having a version prior to the one wtgreen put out. While I thank Jason for including, the real beauty was his incorporation of command line within WOSQI and the troubleshooting by wtgreen that made this work.

Here's what I went through, and what I did to make it all work (and work it does THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU both clipcarl and wtgreen. And note I will use

1. I tried to install the 'iphone spoof agent' via the latest WOSQI v2.81 (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-7-beyond.html)

2. I received an error that, while I didn't capture it within WOSQI, it was similar to that seen recently of:
    "Applying patch. Phone will reboot when done.
    ERROR: Unknown file version
    ERROR: Installer exited abnormally"

3. I then went back to this forum thread and reviewed what wtgreen said.

4. I thought I would try the webOS Repair Utility by jason r. (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html)

5. Ran the utility but it didn't find anything to fix.

6. Went back to the WOSQI and ran the following command lines (from wtgreen) to see what I was dealing with:
    ls -l /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.*
    md5sum /usr/bin/libWebKitLuna.so

What it showed me was there was a backup file, an old version of a backup presumably created when I installed the iphone spoof agent the first time via WOSQI tweaks, and checksums that were not correct for the current v1.2.1 (but rather the checksum that wtgreen identified as a version of iphone spoof agent [or change-user-agent] copy already installed - just the wrong version. See posts #228 - #232 in this thread. The trouble was, my backup was new and I knew it wouldn't be the right backup version.

7. I then went back to webos repair utility and used the 'Restore a single file' (I think that was the option) within the webos repair utility. Restoring /usr/bin/libWebKitLuna.so

8. Then, (and there's probably a few resets of LUNA through these steps that I didn't mention), went back and downloaded the modified change-user-agent posted by wtgreen.

9. used the steps in the first post within this thread by clipcarl. where I needed to use commandline, I simply used WOSQI (I am sure most of you have easier ways, but that was pretty easy, and I could cut and paste just fine).

10. but couldn't get it to run - said /media/internal/change_user_agent: not found

11. Went back and looked at the name of the file I had copied to my pre via USB and saw the name was actually /media/internal/change-user-agent

12. Of course revised the command line to read:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent install

And voila! it worked, after a quick automatic restart by Luna, I have the iphone spoof agent once more and can enjoy the sites such as PGA Mobile, AP news, USA Today, and others in a much better method.

clipcarl, wtgreen, and jason - thank you all. we appreciate what you do.

Rod - we appreciate your caution in adding patches for preware to deliver and look forward to the incorporation of iphone spoof agent (the change-user-agent) patch to be added to preware as well.

Now, gents - is there a way to easily automate checking to see if some of us goofed and tried to put the old iphone spoof agent on v1.2.1 and then correct the file OTA or via WOSQI without having to be hooked up and accessing webOSDoctor?

Thanks again,
    Joe
  14.    #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by jghacker View Post
    1. I tried to install the 'iphone spoof agent' via the latest WOSQI v2.81 (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-7-beyond.html)

2. I received an error that, while I didn't capture it within WOSQI, it was similar to that seen recently of:
    "Applying patch. Phone will reboot when done.
    ERROR: Unknown file version
    ERROR: Installer exited abnormally"
    6. Went back to the WOSQI and ran the following command lines (from wtgreen) to see what I was dealing with:
    ls -l /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.*
    md5sum /usr/bin/libWebKitLuna.so

What it showed me was there was a backup file, an old version of a backup presumably created when I installed the iphone spoof agent the first time via WOSQI tweaks, and checksums that were not correct for the current v1.2.1 (but rather the checksum that wtgreen identified as a version of iphone spoof agent [or change-user-agent] copy already installed - just the wrong version. See posts #228 - #232 in this thread. The trouble was, my backup was new and I knew it wouldn't be the right backup version.

What you are saying is that somehow you got an old version of libWebKitLuna.so on your device after upgrading to WebOS 1.2.1. That cannot happen with this script. This script will refuse to install or uninstall anything if run on the incorrect version of WebOS and the upgrade to 1.2.1 will overwrite any old patched version.

If I had to take a wild guess, this is what I'd say happened:

1. You installed this patch via WOSQI on an older version of WebOS.
    2. You upgraded to 1.2.1 without first uninstalling the old version of this patch via WOSQI.
    3. You went into WOSQI to reapply the patch but saw that the checkbox was already checked because WOSQI did not realize that your updated version of WebOS removed your old version of the patch.
    4. You told WOSQI to remove the patch that it thought was already applied. This script would have been fine with that. It simply would refuse to remove a patch that was no longer there.
    5. Here's the part where I'm guessing but it's the only thing I can think of to cause your problem. I suspect that WOSQI makes its own backup of the library when it installs the patch. Then when you uninstall the patch it blindly restores the backup without checking to see if the WebOS version matches the backup which is very, very bad. This would break lots of stuff on the Pre.
    6. You then tried to get WOSQI to install the new patch and it wouldn't install giving you the error you documented.

Step 5, above, is the key. If WOSQI is truly doing that then Mr. Robitaille should fix that immediately or lots of his program's users will get hosed Pres.

I recommend that people refrain from installing or uninstalling this patch via WOSQI until whatever issues it has get worked out. You've been warned.
    What you are saying is that somehow you got an old version of libWebKitLuna.so on your device after upgrading to WebOS 1.2.1. That cannot happen with this script. This script will refuse to install or uninstall anything if run on the incorrect version of WebOS and the upgrade to 1.2.1 will overwrite any old patched version.

If I had to take a wild guess, this is what I'd say happened:

1. You installed this patch via WOSQI on an older version of WebOS.
    2. You upgraded to 1.2.1 without first uninstalling the old version of this patch via WOSQI.
    3. You went into WOSQI to reapply the patch but saw that the checkbox was already checked because WOSQI did not realize that your updated version of WebOS removed your old version of the patch.
    4. You told WOSQI to remove the patch that it thought was already applied. This script would have been fine with that. It simply would refuse to remove a patch that was no longer there.
    5. Here's the part where I'm guessing but it's the only thing I can think of to cause your problem. I suspect that WOSQI makes its own backup of the library when it installs the patch. Then when you uninstall the patch it blindly restores the backup without checking to see if the WebOS version matches the backup which is very, very bad. This would break lots of stuff on the Pre.
    6. You then tried to get WOSQI to install the new patch and it wouldn't install giving you the error you documented.

Step 5, above, is the key. If WOSQI is truly doing that then Mr. Robitaille should fix that immediately or lots of his program's users will get hosed Pres.

I recommend that people refrain from installing or uninstalling this patch via WOSQI until whatever issues it has get worked out. You've been warned.
    Well, there were also some issues with the first version of WOSQI which had this patch, version 2.5? maybe. You could not uninstall the patch correctly (by unchecking it in WOSQI). Jason fixed that in the next update, version 2.6? It's possible that's related as well.

I personally installed it via the first version of WOSQI, and even though I thought I had it removed prior to updating software to 1.2.0 and 1.2.1, my phone got hosed when I tried to reinstall it via WOSQI 2.8. Ran webos doctor to get back up and running and the patch is working fine now installed via WOSQI 2.8.

jghacker, did you install this hack previously via WOSQI?

And clipcarl, I'd also like to say thanks for the patch and welcome back.
    Quote Originally Posted by kqnjml View Post
    Here are my results:

first command:
    2c5a6563dfefbe1bbd7a5d9a19d5e141

second command:

-r-rx-rx-x 1 root 7194748 sep 29 17:48 /usr/lib/libwebkitluna.so
    -rw-r-r-- 1 root 2220032 Oct 13 15;48 /usr/lib/libwebkitluna.iphone_user_agent.new

I'm running on webos 1.2.1 and have tried installed the 1.2.1 patch, still get the same error.

thanks for looking into this.
    Not totally sure, but it looks like you have an old backup file that might be interfering. Perhaps the patch wasn't uninstalled before the 1.2.1 update was applied?

In any event, the checksum matches the original 1.2.1 file. So delete libwebkitluna.iphone_user_agent.new ("rm" for remove) and then run the patch again. It should work.
    Welcome back, Carl.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    @stflush, yep I installed via WOSQI first time, second time, third time (my pre is a victim of mutliple webOS updates happening automatically as others experience in http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-updating.html)

@clipcarl, you are probably right on as to how it happened, which is why I posted the experience.

Good or bad, I take the risk and appreciate the developers we have in this forum. I am positive the feedback and input will be used by each other to improve.

Again - I sincerely thank you all and recognize the risk I take and happily do so with a few of you.

- and now I rush to remove all tweaks as my phone just notified me it is installing webOS v1.2.1 for it's FOURTH time since release.

I love my Pre...
    I hate my Pre..
    I love my pre...
  19.    #259  
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Not totally sure, but it looks like you have an old backup file that might be interfering. Perhaps the patch wasn't uninstalled before the 1.2.1 update was applied?

In any event, the checksum matches the original 1.2.1 file. So delete libwebkitluna.iphone_user_agent.new ("rm" for remove) and then run the patch again. It should work.
    Oops. The script should overwrite an old backup file without erroring out if necessary. I'll fix that and post a new 1.2.1 version.

Thanks kqnjml and wtgreen for pointing that out.

-Carl
  20.    #260  
    Oops. The script should overwrite an old backup file without erroring out if necessary. I'll fix that and post a new 1.2.1 version.

Thanks kqnjml and wtgreen for pointing that out.

-Carl
    No, my mistake. The patch should work just fine the way it is. What problem exactly were you having, kqnjml? I suspect you are simply not installing the right version of the patch for 1.2.1. I know you said you were, but can you download it again to be sure?
    Last edited by clipcarl; 10/13/2009 at 10:32 PM.