Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Should I still do this manually or use WebOSQuick install? Are they the same now?
    What about the one from Preware? I am just confused on which way to do this.

Man I cannot even cut and paste to/from novacom, lame. ?
    Jason R. tells me he has it loaded in the next release of WebOSQuick Install (WOSQI) and anticipates release in the next few days - but understaning he is a full time college student, would look around the end of the week.

I, personally, am waiting - I like the idea of automated although the directions on the first page of this thread are pretty clear, why not let a failproof script work vs my failing ability to type correctly.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jghacker View Post
    why not let a failproof script work vs my failing ability to type correctly.
    Thats why i still use the novaproxy / putty method which gives me cut/copy/paste ability....... i applied the tweak in 30 seconds.

But to each his own........its not like you cant use the browser as is....LOL
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Anyway remember, ClipCarl did all the hard and clever work. He deserves the credit even if he isn't around to update this for the latest webOS version. I learned a lot myself just by reading his scripts. Enjoy!
    Wow..great work and credit too whoever is do!!! Worked just like I was expecting under 1.21 and browsing CNET.com now defaults to the more iPhone friendly perspective I came used too.

Actually, speaking of CNET...would be cool if we could enable and disable these options on the fly??? That way CNET and other websites that default could also be browsed full screen when needed.

Either way, thanks for the great work!!! Sorli...
    Why do I get
    "Applying patch. Phone will reboot when done.
    ERROR: Unknown file version
    ERROR: Installer exited abnormally"
    When I run the command.
    Same Here..
    I get the same error message..
    Added the updated v1.2.1 script to WOSQI v2.8, with credits to clipcarl and additional credits to wtgreen for the update
    Quote Originally Posted by Josephc1991 View Post
    Why do I get
    "Applying patch. Phone will reboot when done.
    ERROR: Unknown file version
    ERROR: Installer exited abnormally"
    When I run the command.
    That happens when the md5sum value for your existing file doesn't match that of what's known to be the checksum of the 1.2.1 version of libWebKitLuna. Can you run the command "md5sum /usr/bin/libWebKitLuna.so" and post your results?
    That happens when the md5sum value for your existing file doesn't match that of what's known to be the checksum of the 1.2.1 version of libWebKitLuna. Can you run the command "md5sum /usr/bin/libWebKitLuna.so" and post your results?
    It says there's no such file or directory. Is there something I need to install?
    Quote Originally Posted by Josephc1991 View Post
    It says there's no such file or directory. Is there something I need to install?
    Linux is case sensitive. Make sure you execute:
    md5sum /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so

If that still returns an error, can you post the entire error message you receive?

Also, execute:
    ls -l /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.*
    and post the results.

All the same for you too kqnjml.
    Linux is case sensitive. Make sure you execute:
    md5sum /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so

If that still returns an error, can you post the entire error message you receive?

Also, execute:
    ls -l /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.*
    and post the results.

All the same for you too kqnjml.
    For the first command I got
    "ee9a5890e6ad5c18fd6ae235702f9fd8 /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so"

For the second I got
    "-r-xr-xr-x l root root 7194748 Oct 4 09:55 /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so"
    and
    "-r-xr-xr-x l root root 7194748 Oct 12 21:47 /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.soBACKUP"
    Ok, so it appears you have a modified version of the file already installed. Since it's not recognized, the installer halts.

I'm not sure what your backup file is, but run md5sum on it now. If it returns "2c5a6563dfefbe1bbd7a5d9a19d5e141", it's the original 1.2.1 file. And if so, simply run:
    mount / -oremount,rw
    cp /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.soBACKUP /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so
    mount / -oremount,ro

Then run the /media/internal/change_user_agent install again and you should be good to go.

If the backup does not match the original md5sum value, then I'm not sure what to say other than the iphone spoof will have to be applied manually. PM me if that the case.
    Hey guys one simple question; when you going to add this tweak to preware???.. thank you!!
    Guys, bad idea for the mobile browser ecosphere. If devvers see all phones as iphone they will never think of maken sites for the Pre. and we'd be back in the IE6 90% days again.
    Ok, so it appears you have a modified version of the file already installed. Since it's not recognized, the installer halts.

I'm not sure what your backup file is, but run md5sum on it now. If it returns "2c5a6563dfefbe1bbd7a5d9a19d5e141", it's the original 1.2.1 file. And if so, simply run:
    mount / -oremount,rw
    cp /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.soBACKUP /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so
    mount / -oremount,ro

Then run the /media/internal/change_user_agent install again and you should be good to go.

If the backup does not match the original md5sum value, then I'm not sure what to say other than the iphone spoof will have to be applied manually. PM me if that the case.
    Ya it didn't work, I PM'ed you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    Guys, bad idea for the mobile browser ecosphere. If devvers see all phones as iphone they will never think of maken sites for the Pre. and we'd be back in the IE6 90% days again.
    A) <confused>...but if the Pre can display the iphone version anyway, why does it matter if the site is designed for the iPhone?

Site creators are not gong to make an iPhone version, mobile version and Pre version on top of the normal versions... I think we are lucky they do a mobile version for generic phones and an iPhone version that we can utilize.

B) From that I read, they have PRE in the code so it does show up.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    First, the number of people applying this patch is miniscule compared to the number of people that are buying and using Pre's. We're an active community, but not a large one in the grand scheme of things. Remember, the vast majority of Pre users know nothing about HomeBrew let alone true hacks.

Second, the user agent is not a replicated iPhone string. Instead it's: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; en)(webOS/1.2; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0

It tricks most iPhone sites into providing their content iPhone-formatted, but still allows Google Maps on the Pre to work correctly and clearly identifies the phone as a Pre using WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    Hey guys one simple question; when you going to add this tweak to preware???.. thank you!!
    We first need to consider the security aspects of binary patches.

At the moment, you can see everything a normal patch does by reading the source code. That's why Preware has the "View Script" option.

It would be very easy for a malicious person (I'm not referring to anyone in this thread or on PreCentral) to embed a trojan in a binary patch, and use social engineering to get people to install it. Bam, there goes your banking details to a spambot net.

For this reason, we're taking time to think about it, rather than rushing it in.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19.    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    You guys are amazing! Hopefully you guys won't spaz out and run away like clipcarl...
    Comments like this from ingrates like you are part of the reason I get annoyed. Remember I do this for free on my own time. I do not ask you for money or even for thanks but a little respect would be nice.
  20.    #240  
    Excellent work.

Ok, so I've updated the patch for 1.2.1 and it seems to work fine. Follow the instructions included in the first post of this thread. As with any patch, understand things can and do go wrong, so use at your own risk.

The patch is based on ClipCarl's excellent original work. I've simply modified the patch file for the 1.2.1 version of libWebKitLuna.so, updated the scripts to check for version 1.2.1 of webOS and repackaged it. The attached file will not work with later or earlier versions of webOS.

The script updates the file /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so and creates a backup as /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so-iphone_user_agent.bak. When you run the script with the uninstall command, it simply restores the original file.

If you want to be extra careful before installing, you should backup /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so yourself, and it's easy enough to reverse the install without using the supplied script by simply restoring your backed up version of the same file.

Anyway remember, ClipCarl did all the hard and clever work. He deserves the credit even if he isn't around to update this for the latest webOS version. I learned a lot myself just by reading his scripts. Enjoy!