1.    #1  
    Is there a way to turn off autocapitalization? It's a nuisance when I'm typing in user names, passwords and other things that I don't want capitalized for me. (Some people need this sort of nannying. I don't.)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/06/2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: title change - request by OP
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Agreed, this "feature" is incredibly annoying.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I third this. I like it when doing contacts or maybe in a text field, but not in a username field.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I found by accident that in at least some places when I type and it capitalizes my first letter, hitting backspace converts that to lower case. (Hitting backspace again erases it)
  5.    #5  
    Yes, the user's manual indicates that the backspace key can undo autocapitalization and autocorrect. But I want to turn it off completely. Forever. I've found that it isn't even consistently applied in the WebOS browser. Autocapitalization isn't active at all in some websites. There must be a way to deactivate it for good.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Is there a way to turn off autocapitalization? It's a nuisance when I'm typing in user names, passwords and other things that I don't want capitalized for me. (Some people need this sort of nannying. I don't.)
    Well, I have the opposite problem! The autocapitalization feature is OFF all the time... and I do not know how it happened! I mean, when I write a name in contacts there is no autocap, when i begin a phrase no caps letter...
    I'd like to turn it ON again... any suggestions???
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Capitano69 View Post
    Well, I have the opposite problem! The autocapitalization feature is OFF all the time... and I do not know how it happened! I mean, when I write a name in contacts there is no autocap, when i begin a phrase no caps letter...
    I'd like to turn it ON again... any suggestions???
    I wish I could offer help to turn this feature back on, but that would also imply that I knew how to turn it off. I would *love* to turn auto-capitalization off because I hate it. Has anyone figured that out?

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Turning capitalization off, requires hitting the bck key. As for turning it on it should be on already. If it's not on then run a repair utility on the phone to correct modified, or missing things on the device. Good luck.
    Last edited by rush; 07/02/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Both are mandotory... turning capitalization off, requires hitting the bck key. As for turning it on it should be on already. If it's not on then run a repair utility on the phone to correct modified, or missing things on the device. Good luck.
    Thanks, Rush. I'm wondering whether there is a block of code that can be commented out to disable the auto-capitalization. You're right that this is mandatory without hacking. The backspace-to-undo is annoying.

I've modified the text autoreplace file to remove things like replacing R with "are" and U with "you." I'm just hoping there's a way to manually go in and disable the auto-capitalization, but I haven't found one yet.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    I don't think we can do that... That's a palm thing. Sorry!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    No worries. Thanks for weighing in. I expect that it's probably deeply buried in the code, but it isn't a hill to die on...just a nuisance.
    Rob Robinson
    Well.. 'mandatory' may not be the right word to use, it's just part of the OS. I'm sure you can dig into the code and find a setting to turn this off - I just don't think anyone has felt this as a big enough issue to patch. BUT... if a few people were to request this patch, someone in the Homebrew community would look into it for you. It's just a small section of code for auto-correct and could be a simple patch.

Post a request in in the webOS Patches forum and you can see if one of the patchers/devs would help out (or I can move and rename this thread for you).
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Well.. 'mandatory' may not be the right word to use, it's just part of the OS. I'm sure you can dig into the code and find a setting to turn this off - I just don't think anyone has felt this as a big enough issue to patch. BUT... if a few people were to request this patch, someone in the Homebrew community would look into it for you. It's just a small section of code for auto-correct and could be a simple patch.

Post a request in in the webOS Patches forum and you can see if one of the patchers/devs would help out (or I can move and rename this thread for you).
    Thanks, HelloNNNewman. I searched for instances of the word "autocapitalization" in the copy of the 1.4.1.1 WebOS Doctor I keep on my PC hard drive. It appears that the autocapitalization feature is controlled by the following two files:

\usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\builtins\palmInitFramework338.jsjsjs
    \usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\submissions\338\javascripts\widget_textfield.jsjsjs

There are also comments in the code that indicate that Palm eventually plans to shift from a universal autocapitalization true/false toggle in the code to specific user-selected options. Options like Sentence Case, Title Case and no capitalization are referenced in the code but are not active.

Hopefully this information will give a developer enough of a head start to make a patch easier. If you would rename this thread and move it to the right subforum, that would be great.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I would also love the option to turn this off. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    If you would rename this thread and move it to the right subforum, that would be great.

Rob
    Done
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Done
    Thanks a bunch!

Rob
    Rob Robinson