Page 1 of 152 1234561151101 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please visit the Wiki for all instructions/information.

On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals

Report Issues

All donations are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for the support, and I hope everyone enjoys the keyboard.

New Thread Here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ancements.html
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/05/2010 at 09:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Looks Great! I saw that you were working on this in the IRC chat, good to see that youre making progress

Some comments/questions:
    • Since you have 4 rows you could make one of them a number row
    • the column on the far left seems to get cut off. for example the " p" doesnt have the rounded corner like the "q"
    • does webos's autocorrect work?
    • is there any way to skin it?
    • does it open automatically when you are in a textbox or do you have to you the syb key?

overall, great job. just have just made a lot of pre owners VERY happy.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    How about just simply making the onscreen keyboard exactly the same as the slider keyboard, layout and functionality. That way we don't have to get used to two different keyboards on one phone. Makes sense. Ten across, and four down. That'll also solve your symbols question. Have the Sym button to pull up the symbols over the normal keys. I like this!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ...maybe you could give it some preferences also, like being able to associate sounds to the button pushes like an old typewriter or haptic feedback so the phone sort of vibrates with the key pushes or just to be able to turn this off altogether.

I also agree that this shouldn't pull up if the slider keyboard is opened, but there should be a way to bring it up if need be even if it is open. Maybe a hotkey on the slider keyboard either by default or user defined.

The more that you could make the keyboard look like the one on the pre now, the better. Instead of the plain grey boxes with red letters. Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac923 View Post
    How about just simply making the onscreen keyboard exactly the same as the slider keyboard, layout and functionality. That way we don't have to get used to two different keyboards on one phone. Makes sense. Ten across, and four down. That'll also solve your symbols question. Have the Sym button to pull up the symbols over the normal keys. I like this!
    Me, too. Great idea.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    This looks great. However there is one problem. Its not on my Pre. Lol
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    i think multi-lang support would out of the question for now, right?

another idea is to add navigation keys (arrow keys)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    Looks Great! I saw that you were working on this in the IRC chat, good to see that youre making progress

Some comments/questions:
    • Since you have 4 rows you could make one of them a number row. - There needs to be room for space, shift etc...

• the column on the far left seems to get cut off. for example the " p" doesnt have the rounded corner like the "q" - The column on the far left is how it should look, the far-right column should be extended to the end (and not show the right border line). Thanks for pointing that out, must be a calculation error on my part.

• does webos's autocorrect work? - Auto-correct 'should' work when I add the space bar, I'll be sure to verify when I do.

• is there any way to skin it? - No easy way to skin it yet, exporting that ability to the user is an item for down the road. For now I will write up a detailed explanation of the CSS items effecting the skin.

• does it open automatically when you are in a textbox or do you have to you the syb key? - You must tap the gesture area to open it, while inside a text box.

overall, great job. just have just made a lot of pre owners VERY happy.
    Responses above in red.

Tmac, that is the plan: to have the layout of the onscreen keyboard mimic the actual pre keyboard layout. I do not like the single symbol only method of the actual keyboard's symbol button popup, but using the onscreen sym button to bring in the sym characters onscreen is a good idea.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    It sounds awesome. But again, since everyone is already familiar with the slider keyboard and used to it's look and function, the closer you can mimic that, the better! Even the shape, buttons, colors, etc...I wouldn't mind if the keys were exact. I would prefer it actually.

Oh, and if you do make sounds that are incorporated into the buttons being pushed, make sure you make one that sounds like your stepping on a wet sponge. That's kind of like the buttons on the keyboard now. Not the sounds but the feel. LOL
    I think it would be a good idea to add vibrate on touch but also add the ability to turn it off.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    This is great! Can't wait to try it out.
    Hmm. Installed and applied. Changes my sym characters red, but no on screen key board appears.
    Holy crap could it be real... Someone pinch me... Do you have a donate link?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    So this is already in a version that's ready to test out? Is rooting required?
    Rob Robinson
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtemple33 View Post
    Hmm. Installed and applied. Changes my sym characters red, but no on screen key board appears.
    Did you restart LunaSysMgr? (initctl stop LunaSysMgr && initctl start LunaSysMgr)

Or you can reboot the pre.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Please read the following in order to install the patch:

Applying Patches - WebOS Internals

The patch should be found (on Pre) in:

/opt/src/modifications/frameworks/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch

It appears that rooting is required for this at this time.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac923 View Post
    It appears that rooting is required for this at this time.
    That's understandable. I will watch with interest until 1) I become braver or 2) non-rooting functionality is a possibility.
    Rob Robinson
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    Did you restart LunaSysMgr? (initctl stop LunaSysMgr && initctl start LunaSysMgr)

Or you can reboot the pre.
    Yes I did all of the above.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflores View Post
    Holy crap could it be real... Someone pinch me... Do you have a donate link?
    Sure (Added to first post)

Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    That's understandable. I will watch with interest until 1) I become braver or 2) non-rooting functionality is a possibility.
    2 will probably not happen because there is no way from the app-level to control what happens in other apps widgets (e.g. textfields). Although hopefully Palm will incorporate this functionality into future releases.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtemple33 View Post
    Yes I did all of the above.
    Hmmm Ok I would like to work with you. Did you follow all of the steps in the wiki above? Did you receive any errors?
Page 1 of 152 1234561151101 ... LastLast