Page 88 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3878838485868788899091929398138 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 3039
    Quote Originally Posted by rapscallion View Post
    I want to enjoy this too but can't get it to install. When I hit install and get the screen with the script dialog, hit ok and it starts like it's going to install then gives me "error installing (4)

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    im having the same problem....i just doctored my fone from 1.2.1 to 1.2...then updated to 1.2.1 and cant install the VK anymore
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

alright this is the error messages that i get when trying to install the VK...

Error: mismatch md5sums
    expected 2ec28f4c3ee55232ccf8b1f142fb92bb
    calculated 3b9234603542b061354cd273c688ed91
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

3.    #1743  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    alright this is the error messages that i get when trying to install the VK...

Error: mismatch md5sums
    expected 2ec28f4c3ee55232ccf8b1f142fb92bb
    calculated 3b9234603542b061354cd273c688ed91

This couldn't have been the first error you got after a doctor. The calculated md5sum indicates that the framework files is currently patched with the keyboard.

I'm going to guess that the first time you tried to install it you got a rare error about remounting (which is something we need to track down although it is difficult to reproduce and only been reported in rare circumstances). In this situation the patch was applied, then the remount read-only failed. If you then tried to install again before restartin/updating feeds in preware you'll get this error message and the post-install script will remove the ipk.

This can be solved via linux commands. Get access to a terminal and do the following:

Code:
    ipkg -o /var install org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard

This should install the keyboard without running the post-installation script. You should then be able to restart preware and see the keyboard as installed. This will allow you to uninstall if you choose, but it should be functional.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Is there an effort underway to get the keyboard to resize the scene instead of overlaying and/or auto correct working?

If both of those happen, this thing is going to be killer. Hell, you guys would have done all the work for Palm to make a full touch screen phone on WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    This couldn't have been the first error you got after a doctor. The calculated md5sum indicates that the framework files is currently patched with the keyboard.

I'm going to guess that the first time you tried to install it you got a rare error about remounting (which is something we need to track down although it is difficult to reproduce and only been reported in rare circumstances). In this situation the patch was applied, then the remount read-only failed. If you then tried to install again before restartin/updating feeds in preware you'll get this error message and the post-install script will remove the ipk.

This can be solved via linux commands. Get access to a terminal and do the following:

Code:

This should install the keyboard without running the post-installation script. You should then be able to restart preware and see the keyboard as installed. This will allow you to uninstall if you choose, but it should be functional.
    yeah it worked the terminal way...how come it didnt work b4 then i dont understand..thank u by the way
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Code:

i actually got the mount error while in preware trying to reapply the tweaks and yes this was all after the doctor
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

7.    #1747  
    yeah it worked the terminal way...how come it didnt work b4 then i dont understand..thank u by the way

Under the hood of installing advanced homebrew is to do the ipkg -o /var install command and then run the post-install script. The post-install script for they keyboard will fail and then run an ipkg -o /var remove command if the md5sums are mismatched. So it removes itself when the script encounters an error basically.

Simple homebrew (mojo applications) do not have post-install or pre-remove scripts and thus just need this ipkg -o /var install command. This install command basically unpacks/extracts the ipk and sets up the control information that allows the package to be seen as installed. So by doing it on the command line as I had you do, the postinst script was not run. You would have to do that manually on the command line, in which case you would have seen the same error and the package would have been removed.

I don't recommend doing these commands manually in the future unless instructed by an experienced dev. This worked in this specific case because a previous run of the postinst script completed successfully but a remount error caused the install to "stop" in preware. A second install attempt ran the postinst script against patched files (thus failing md5sum check) causing it to fail. The script then removed the package control data because of the failure, but the original install attempt already patched the files. Thus this workaround was to simply get the ipkg control data back to the "installed" state.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Under the hood of installing advanced homebrew is to do the ipkg -o /var install command and then run the post-install script. The post-install script for they keyboard will fail and then run an ipkg -o /var remove command if the md5sums are mismatched. So it removes itself when the script encounters an error basically.

Simple homebrew (mojo applications) do not have post-install or pre-remove scripts and thus just need this ipkg -o /var install command. This install command basically unpacks/extracts the ipk and sets up the control information that allows the package to be seen as installed. So by doing it on the command line as I had you do, the postinst script was not run. You would have to do that manually on the command line, in which case you would have seen the same error and the package would have been removed.

I don't recommend doing these commands manually in the future unless instructed by an experienced dev. This worked in this specific case because a previous run of the postinst script completed successfully but a remount error caused the install to "stop" in preware. A second install attempt ran the postinst script against patched files (thus failing md5sum check) causing it to fail. The script then removed the package control data because of the failure, but the original install attempt already patched the files. Thus this workaround was to simply get the ipkg control data back to the "installed" state.
    oh ok thats cool and a lot of info...how am i gonna be able to install patches not from preware...in the preware thread i put the error that i got and it specifically states a mount error....how do i go about to do a workaround?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

9.    #1749  
    oh ok thats cool and a lot of info...how am i gonna be able to install patches not from preware...in the preware thread i put the error that i got and it specifically states a mount error....how do i go about to do a workaround?

A phone reboot should help get rid of the remount errors if you are getting them constantly right now. If you get the remount error during install, restart preware and see if it actually did install. If you get the remount error during removal, the files will probably be unpatched but the ipkg data will remain saying it is installed.

We'd have to do more digging/debugging to verify the exact state of the files. As long as you don't do anything with regards to manually editting the files, we should be able to get you out of any sticky situation you get into with patch errors. Join us in #webos-internals IRC channel on freenode.net for easier debugging.

-Eric G

Donate
    A phone reboot should help get rid of the remount errors if you are getting them constantly right now. If you get the remount error during install, restart preware and see if it actually did install. If you get the remount error during removal, the files will probably be unpatched but the ipkg data will remain saying it is installed.

We'd have to do more digging/debugging to verify the exact state of the files. As long as you don't do anything with regards to manually editting the files, we should be able to get you out of any sticky situation you get into with patch errors. Join us in #webos-internals IRC channel on freenode.net for easier debugging.
    nm...patches r finally working after the vk incident...no more mounting errors...that was weird but thank u so much for ur assistance!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

The on-screen keyboard is rather useless once you get used to using the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjkratz View Post
    not really...but thats my opinion
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

i am writing rthis using the virtual keyboard on my 1.2.1 Pre. Installed via Preware. When are we fgertting the backspace burrtton to work on this browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjkratz View Post
    why would you bash this, many people including myself wanted this very much and emoney spent ALOT of time on this, so if you think it is not useful, keep it to yourself and enjoy all of the other apps and patches that have been developed...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Has the problem where the VK images [under /media/internal/virtual-keyboard] were showing up in the Photo App been resolved?
    Quote Originally Posted by rapscallion View Post
    I want to enjoy this too but can't get it to install. When I hit install and get the screen with the script dialog, hit ok and it starts like it's going to install then gives me "error installing (4)

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    when u get the error install 4 can u tap on the ipkg log and show us the error?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    Has the problem where the VK images [under /media/internal/virtual-keyboard] were showing up in the Photo App been resolved?
    yes after the latest update.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    So what is teh proper way [official way] to go about installing it?

Preware or Command Line?
    I believe either preware or web os quick install
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    WOSQI doesn't have an option to install, only configure. Let me double check.

yea, I don't see it...

I am gonna use the PreWare....

edit: I stand corrected...it was under the webOS internals (all) feed. I was looking under tweaks
    Last edited by drewp; 10/04/2009 at 10:13 PM.