Page 50 of 152 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 3039
    one enhancement that i think would be really nice to have, is for the keys to swap out when clicking the orange palm button. what this means is that we'd just need two sets of keys. in standard mode, the letters are larger, and when the orange palm button is pressed, swap the keys out for the version when the letters get smaller and the secondary symbols are displayed larger.
  2.    #982  
    I'm back, and wow has this thread taken off! I've read mostly everything and just want to let everyone know I am making mental notes of all the issues/requests I see. I will probably have to back over everything so I can write them down and officially update the known issues section.

First off, awesome job with the themes already everyone! I may not be the most artistic person in the world and if it weren't for remix, I shudder to think what I would have come up with on my own! . I'm glad that I could implement at least a fairly easy way of creating skins/themes for the keyboard and will absolutely continue to work on giving designers more options/control over the look. Options, options, options... as long as functionality remains and complexity doesn't get out of hand, I will continue to try and give users as many options as possible.

I would love to work with others on creating language packs for languages other than English. I am thinking automatic language pack based on localization as well as user choice. I hope to talk with symos at some point to see how his Greek language pack has come along.

I see there was a small hiccup in the install for a few hours, which led to a lot of confusion. I just wanted to clear up a small point here with regards to the keyboard patch. The virtual-keyboard/ folder in /media/internal is supposed to be separate from the patch itself, in the sense that it shouldn't effect the underlying functionality of the keyboard. The way it sounds from the comments is that a bug in something like kb_config.json will cause the keyboard to not render at all. I will work on fixing this, because I want the keyboard to come up in at least all text regardless of the state of the virtual-keyboard folder. However I will also be changing the user-configurable options to use database instead of a hand-edited .json. Hopefully a lot of those type of issues can be resolved. And we will eventually have a separate user application to make changing options and themes easier and less error-prone.

The way the install works, if virtual-keyboard/ folder is not there after install that means the patch portion of install failed. (Most likely due to md5sum mismatch on files the patch would like to touch). Manually extracting the virtual-keyboard folder to its correct place should not have any effect in this case.

With regards to the md5sum checking, anyone who has used quilt or another method to install the alpha patch in the past must REVERT before installing using preware or webos quick install. I will not be supporting the quilt method going further, although anyone with linux and patch knowledge can choose to use whatever method they desire as the patch will always be open and freely available.

The backspace/enter bug in webview is something that I want to wait for the next webos update before exploring deeply. Since the next update should be relatively close, I am holding out small hopes that the browser adapter may be extended to support accepting deleting/submits.

Sorry for the long winded post, as most of you know I was away for the weekend. As always Rick and Rod have been amazing at helping everyone here, while continuing webos-internals design and development. Also thanks to Diane and others for their generous assistance of others installing the keyboard and themes. The wiki is awesome thanks to all who contributed there as well.

I apologize if I missed any issues, and you should be able to find me in the irc chat (egaudet) frequently for anything you want to discuss or troubleshoot with the keyboard.
    Hey man i know i have said thanks in this thread many times but here is one more and also letting you know 10 bux coming your way!!!! You deserve i all!!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    Hey man i know i have said thanks in this thread many times but here is one more and also letting you know 10 bux coming your way!!!! You deserve i all!!
    I second all of this. Eric, you've done an amazing job here in a short amount of time. Thank you!

Rob

P.S. I sent my $10 donation a few days ago, too.
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    I would be willing to help with the language pack for spanish. That would be extremely usefull for me! Is there any update on the status of autocorrect? Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdaviso View Post
    Just tried downloading after the fix for the first time and I get error message " an error occured while attempting to run/var/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.virtual-keyboard.postinst (err1). Any ideas??? I have windows Vista 64 bit; have already used the tweaks and they work fine.
    I don't know if you found the solution, and I still have four pagesof this thread to read through, but never-the-less I will jump in on this one.

When you get this message it means that your WebOS Mojo Framework file has been modified from the state that the keyboard insists on having to install.

Keyboard will NOT install on a framework file with even ONE CHARACTER of difference from a brand spanking new file from Palm.

This isn't because we can't slip it into a modified file. We can. But this is still beta-grade software and we are afraid of breaking other things. So, you will need to remove your other "tweeks" first.

Or, you can extract the framework file from the webos doctor and replace it using quick install.

The file in question is \usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\builtins\palmInitFramework191_15.jsjsjs

That file MAY NOT be modified prior to installing the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    I'm back, and wow has this thread taken off!...
    Like MazdaManiac, since I've installed the OSK my Sprint connection is nonexistent. I couldn't even launch Preware in order to uninstall the OSK until I got on Wifi. Constantly have the "x" icon, "R", or no bars.

I don't have any "tweaks", patches, or anything like that installed. Only a few Homebrew apps. This Pre is only about 4 days old (refurb).

Uninstalling the OSK, followed by a restart, fixed all my connection issues so I'll be passing on this one.

Good work anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna00 View Post
    Like MazdaManiac, since I've installed the OSK my Sprint connection is nonexistent. I couldn't even launch Preware in order to uninstall the OSK until I got on Wifi. Constantly have the "x" icon, "R", or no bars.

I don't have any "tweaks", patches, or anything like that installed. Only a few Homebrew apps. This Pre is only about 4 days old (refurb).

Uninstalling the OSK, followed by a restart, fixed all my connection issues so I'll be passing on this one.

Good work anyway.
    That is very very strange.

The _only_ file that the keyboard patches is the framework jsjsjs $file$.

And framework has almost nothing to do with operating the radios.

Weird.

If you would be willing to re-install, verify that they keyboard works and your radios do not work, then, use webos quickinstall to get the framwork file out of your pre, and zip it up and send it to us, then, uninstall, verify that the radios DO work, and zip the GOOD copy of framwork up and send it to us, that would be very very kind.

Thanks.

Rick
  9.    #989  

Good work anyway.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with your sprint connection. The patch does not touch the connections however, and only adds functionality at the scene's framework level.
    This keyboard is awesome... Thanks so much for the time and effort... question, does anyone find themselves not even using the existing keyboard on the pre anymore? I barely open mine. I have the onscreen keyboard set up in default (similar to iphone), with haptic feedback..its a bit buggy here and there, but generally, i can type much faster than on the physical keyboard...and the landscape is excellent! so much better for browsing the web...thanks so much for this!!
    Is it possible that sprint is doing this because they've detected that the phone is patched?

Thanks for the reply Rick, I'm willing to perform your test but it may take me a day or so as I need a reliable connection tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    I'm back, and wow has this thread taken off! I've read mostly everything and just want to let everyone know I am making mental notes of all the issues/requests I see. I will probably have to backover everything so I can write them down and officially update the known issues section.

First off, awesome job with the themes already everyone! I may not be the most artistic person in the world and if it weren't for remix, I shudder to think what I would have come up with on my own! . I'm glad that I could implement at least a fairly easy way of creating skins/themes for the keyboard and will absolutely continue to work on giving designers more options/control over the look. Options, options, options... as long as functionality remains and complexity doesn't get out of hand, I will continue to try and give users as many options as possible.

I would love to work with others on creating language packs for languages other than English. I am thinking automatic language pack based on localization as well as user choice. I hope to talk with symos at some point to see how his Greek language pack has come along.

I see there was a small hiccup in the install for a few hours, which led to a lot of confusion. I just wanted to clear up a small point here with regards to the keyboard patch. The virtual-keyboard/ folder in /media/internal is supposed to be separate from the patch itself, in the sense that it shouldn't effect the underlying functionality of the keyboard. The way it sounds from the comments is that a bug in something like kb_config.json will cause the keyboard to not render at all. I will work on fixing this, because I want the keyboard to come up in at least all text regardless of the state of the virtual-keyboard folder. However I will also be changing the user-configurable options to use database instead of a hand-edited .json. Hopefully a lot of those type of issues can be resolved. And we will eventually have a separate user application to make changing options and themes easier and less error-prone.

The way the install works, if virtual-keyboard/ folder is not there after install that means the patch portion of install failed. (Most likely due to md5sum mismatch on files the patch would like to touch). Manually extracting the virtual-keyboard folder to its correct place should not have any effect in this case.

With regards to the md5sum checking, anyone who has used quilt or another method to install the alpha patch in the past must REVERT before installing using preware or webos quick install. I will not be supporting the quilt method going further, although anyone with linux and patch knowledge can choose to use whatever method they desire as the patch will always be open and freely available.

The backspace/enter bug in webview is something that I want to wait for the next webos update before exploring deeply. Since the next update should be relatively close, I am holding out small hopes that the browser adapter may be extended to support accepting deleting/submits.

Sorry for the long winded post, as most of you know I was away for the weekend. As always Rick and Rod have been amazing at helping everyone here, while continuing webos-internals design and development. Also thanks to Diane and others for their generous assistance of others installing the keyboard and themes. The wiki is awesome thanks to all who contributed there as well.

I apologize if I missed any issues, and you should be able to find me in the irc chat (egaudet) frequently for anything you want to discuss or troubleshoot with the keyboard.
    ↲I would love to help you with a swedish layout im a student from sweden and all my pre freinds would also love this if you want to be surtain that i see your answer email me or im me on msn on alioooop@live.se but i am following this thread so hopefully i will se it anyways great work btw
    So I tried to use the latest OSK during a game of WordAce (to chat)...

1. The screen froze and I was unable to click on anything,
    2. The OSK did not show up

(after exiting the game and reopening the app) all program defaults for Word Ace came back...

3. My avatar was gone
    4. My earnings were gone
    5. My XP's were set back to 0
    6. My username was changed to 'NewUser'

After a reboot... Everything went back to normal.

Just a heads up
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    @rboatright, et al -

FWIW, regarding Bigtuna00's OSK/reboot issues. IMHO, it's a coincidence.

I recently took a trip to upstate New York, so I was in and out of the Sprint network, and out of coverage range at times.. When returning to the New York City area, I could get no Internet access (via WiFi or cell network) UNTIL I powered down and restarted my Pre. Reboots did not help. There seems to be a particular condition that is not helped by an OS restart. This may have been something similar.

HTH,
    -JerryG
    Last edited by JerryG; 08/31/2009 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    @rboatright, et al -

FWIW, regarding Bigtuna00's OSK/reboot issues. IMHO, it's a coincidence.

I recently took a trip to upstate New York, so I was in and out of the Sprint network, and out of coverage range at times.. When returning to the New York City area, I could get no Internet access (via WiFi or cell network) UNTIL I powered down and restarted my Pre. Reboots did not help. There seems to be a particular condition that is not helped by an OS restart. This may have been something similar.

HTH,
    -JerryG
    FWIW, I wasn't traveling anywhere, doing the same thing I've done with my Pre since launch and I've *never* seen this happen.

I'd also done more than one restart since installing the OSK so I don't think the restart is what fixed it.

I'm not saying a coincidence isn't possible but the analogy you've made is pretty far away from my scenario.
    FWIW, I wasn't traveling anywhere, doing the same thing I've done with my Pre since launch and I've *never* seen this happen.

I'd also done more than one restart since installing the OSK so I don't think the restart is what fixed it.

I'm not saying a coincidence isn't possible but the analogy you've made is pretty far away from my scenario.
    BigTuna, I have seen similar behavior WITHOUT moving, both with, and without theOSK installed. GOing into and out of airplane mode has always fixed it for me, and I have concluded it is a palm bug.

However, I am interested in seeing your files when you have time.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    That is very very strange.

The _only_ file that the keyboard patches is the framework jsjsjs $file$.

And framework has almost nothing to do with operating the radios.

Weird.

If you would be willing to re-install, verify that they keyboard works and your radios do not work, then, use webos quickinstall to get the framwork file out of your pre, and zip it up and send it to us, then, uninstall, verify that the radios DO work, and zip the GOOD copy of framwork up and send it to us, that would be very very kind.

Thanks.

Rick
    Rick and team, first of all thanks for the hard and great work you are doing for all of us end users, really appreciate it!!

- I've had my Pre since week One
    - about 50 homebrews installed
    - no patches except for OSK

I had the previous version of OSK installed; it worked fine without side effects. After I upgraded this morning (upgraded only OSk and Music Player Remix) here are the issues I have had:

- I was not in developer mode
    - battery did not charge anymore, but actually drained pretty quickly (100% to 15% in 6 hrs without much activity)
    - plugging it in would give me the usual bell sound, the battery symbol changed to charging, but it the % kept dropping
    - I made a couple of longer calls without a hitch early, then at approximately 40% to 30% I had connection issue, no network connection, showing a X instead of bars, no EV symbol, showing R, even though I was well within normal range. The symbols were changing, but I had consistently no network
    - 13% battery I started to panic and uninstalled OSK with Preware without a problem
    - I turned off the phone b/c I thought I might have to reboot to reinitiate the charging
    - After pushing the red TURN-OFF button I saw it booting (blicking white PALM symbol), but instead of powering down, the Pre came back on (maybe it booted down and up by itself)
    It's been charging ever since. The OSK appears to be uninstalled.

I am planning to reproduce this behavior and will post the results again.

Hope this may help iron out any kinks. Please let me know if I can do anything else.

9/1 update: installed OSK again, battery charging and network connectivity appear fine so far.
    Had an issue this morning: adding a contact with OSK, the cursor jumped up into the previous field and showed the newly typed characters. When tapping again in the next field, only the first charater of the sequence showed up, all other character were gone.
    When switching to real keyboard, Pre acted normal, switching back to OSK same issue again. I had to close Contacts to make the problem go away and was not able to reproduce it again.
    Last edited by liggy; 09/01/2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Update
    anyone got any ideas to if we will get a vertical keyboard, like when we have the phone tilted to view a wider screen?
  19.    #999  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismoses View Post
    anyone got any ideas to if we will get a vertical keyboard, like when we have the phone tilted to view a wider screen?

Do you mean landscape mode? The keyboard already works in landscape
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liggy View Post
    Rick and team, first of all thanks for the hard and great work you are doing for all of us end users, really appreciate it!!

- I've had my Pre since week One
    - about 50 homebrews installed
    - no patches except for OSK

I had the previous version of OSK installed; it worked fine without side effects. After I upgraded this morning (upgraded only OSk and Music Player Remix) here are the issues I have had:

- I was not in developer mode
    - battery did not charge anymore, but actually drained pretty quickly (100% to 15% in 6 hrs without much activity)
    - plugging it in would give me the usual bell sound, the battery symbol changed to charging, but it the % kept dropping
    - I made a couple of longer calls without a hitch early, then at approximately 40% to 30% I had connection issue, no network connection, showing a X instead of bars, no EV symbol, showing R, even though I was well within normal range. The symbols were changing, but I had consistently no network
    - 13% battery I started to panic and uninstalled OSK with Preware without a problem
    - I turned off the phone b/c I thought I might have to reboot to reinitiate the charging
    - After pushing the red TURN-OFF button I saw it booting (blicking white PALM symbol), but instead of powering down, the Pre came back on (maybe it booted down and up by itself)
    It's been charging ever since. The OSK appears to be uninstalled.

I am planning to reproduce this behavior and will post the results again.

Hope this may help iron out any kinks. Please let me know if I can do anything else.
    It did the same thing to my phone, kept saying phone offline, no ev. Phone was going crazy, after i uninstalled it the phone works like normal again so far as i can tell. I think i will wait to put this back on my phone when there are not as many issues, i like being able to have the keyboard but for now i will stick with what palm gave me. Good work on these though everyone.