Page 38 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888138 ... LastLast
    EDIT: There is a newer version of this theme, and more themes, that I've created. Click here to see and download the new themes!!!

The onscreen keyboard is awesome, but I needed something legible... so I created a skin. It's named after my cat Enjoy!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/15257/LucasPapaya.zip

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by un_designer; 08/29/2009 at 07:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmprenutt View Post
    ive had a few prblems with this patch. when i installed this patch it does not allow me to get any of my alerts for txts and emails unless my pre is on and not in standby or sleep mode. is there a way to fix this problem?

i had to undo the patch to make the problem go away so im sure its the patch. i like the keyboard but i cant keep missing txt messages. the only way i know i have them is if i keep checking my inbox every few mins. thats very annoying. thanks
    What other software have you installed? What other patches have you installed? What other changes have you made?

NOTHING that this patch touches. Nothing at all has anything to do with recieving messages of any kind. It just does not mess with those files. Just doesn't.

And no one else has reported the problem, and I, in particular have not had it. So, it MUST be an interaction with your software. What else ya' got?
    I just tried sleek_light. Looks great except when I hit the Sym key all the characters that are listed below the keyboard are just dark text. No background and you really cannot read them.

I cannot wait until someone adds the capability to change the themes on the fly right from the Pre ii

Next feature is hepatic keys. ii

GREAT work guys, seriously great work on all of this...
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    What other software have you installed? What other patches have you installed? What other changes have you made?

NOTHING that this patch touches. Nothing at all has anything to do with recieving messages of any kind. It just does not mess with those files. Just doesn't.

And no one else has reported the problem, and I, in particular have not had it. So, it MUST be an interaction with your software. What else ya' got?
    wow lol... ive got a few patches like the timestamp patch and a couple others. i did notice when i installed this particular patch my pre went out of wack a lil bit.

not sure what caused it. have you heard of preware?

i see that application has a patch for a virtual keyboard but i cant seem to figure out how to do it. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I just tried sleek_light. Looks great except when I hit the Sym key all the characters that are listed below the keyboard are just dark text. No background and you really cannot read them.

I cannot wait until someone adds the capability to change the themes on the fly right from the Pre ii

Next feature is hepatic keys. ii

GREAT work guys, seriously great work on all of this...
    Unfortunately, all themes are currently like this. There has not been a system setup to give it a background as far as I know. I checked the default theme to make sure, and it was the same way. Remember though, this is an early stage in the project!

BTW, I haven't seen any mention of this, is there going to be updates to the landscape keyboard? Meaning, a way for it to pull an entire different key set instead of stretching them out. Another thing I haven't seen is if there's plans or even possible to just push the app up instead of covering the screen and putting the keyboard at different positions depending on where the text field is. Sort of like the iPhone, Hero, etc. handle it.
    Loving the virtual KB....install was so simple.
    There's no greater feeling than riding a Hayabusa going 180+ on an open road!
    Thank you!

Almost working perfect =)

my keyboard looks funky though on the bottom line...!?

(blank key) (up arrow) (@) (blank key) (.) (Sym) (blank) (.) (upside down ?) (degree symbol)

also, when I click shift, it actually types "shift" on the screen, and the sym button types "sym"...lol

it's the same skin as in the How-To preview video.

any ideas? I installed with Preware. Canadian phone. WebOs 1.1.0

Can't wait to get it working!
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    quick install does it now. Go to the wiki. Read. No rooting required.

Really. Go read the wiki.
    I'm sorry to ask but can you send a link to the "wiki"? or where its at?
    super easy installation! kudos!!!
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdethree View Post
    super easy installation! kudos!!!
    can ou help me out and tell me what you did?? For some reason I'm not finding it so easy... I do not have preware setup or anything but the quick install.... Some one commented that I could use quick install but I guess I can't see how....
    Robdmau: make sure you have quickinstall 2.0.1.. then on the screen you first see when you open it, press the third button down on the left.

Once the new screen opens, click the dropdown box at the top where it currently says "PreCentral App Gallery Feed"

It should give you multiple feeds to pick from.
    Click the "WebOS-Internals Feed(all)"

Now check virtual keyboard, and install it..

To set up preware is just as easy, and allows you to do all that one your device with a simple GUI to use.

From the "WebOS-Internals Feed", check "Preware" and "Package Manager Service"

Then install them..

WA BAM, you have preware and can install the virtual keyboard/update it when updates are available all on your device.
    It's as easy as 1) creating new keyboard json files and 2) creating new theme images files reflecting those and 3) dropping them into the correct folders.

Do not, however, dismiss the complexity of (1) which is "tricky."
    Ok, so if the developers could help us by publishing 2 zip files:
    1. With the keyboard json files we need to change
    2. With the Photoshop/GIMP etc. source files for the main themes

We could start *trying* to create "language packs".

I could try to find out which json files to tamper with myself, but it would take longer and I'd probably break something in the meantime, so pleeeeeeaaasee?
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    For anyone whose interested I installed via root, then uninstalled with preware when the preware method came out. I got an error when I tried to install again with preware. I had to wipe the Pre with WebOS Doctor afterwords I was able to get a clean virtual keyboard install without issue. I think since my first install was via root when I unistalled something may have been left over that prevented me from reinstalling. Not the best fix. Once WebOS Doctor was finished it took about 30 minutes to reload everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robdmau View Post
    I'm sorry to ask but can you send a link to the "wiki"? or where its at?
    On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals

Which has been pointed to on perhaps 25 of the 37 pages in this thread.

I know it's hard to read back and back and back. That's WHY we set up the wiki

When you have questions about WebOS

GO THERE FIRST

Do a search, and you will probably find your answer. If not, THEN post inthe forums or visit the IRC.
    The .json files are not really difficult at all. The config one is just a few lines that point to the theme folder to be used, configure a haptic (vibration) length, and a sound file, if desired when clicked.

the other .json file, from what I can tell, is just a index to image key mapping and and can just be duplicated within the theme folder.

Here are both files. To edit them, they are JUST text files, so TextPad, or Notepad, or word pad should be just fine to edit.

Just make sure you keep a copy of the theme_config.json file in the folder with your images.

As for the photshop files, well you really have to just look at one of the existing ones and copy the dimensions.

Basically the letter keys are 31x48 pixels, resolution of 72ppi. some of the other keys are a bit different. Use a working existing one as a size template. Also they need to be saved as transparant .png files.

Also probably a good idea to use monospace font styling.

Its not really hard if you have some basic PhotoShop, or Gimp, or Fireworks skills,. just time consuming,.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    The onscreen keyboard is awesome, but I needed something legible... so I created a skin. It's named after my cat Enjoy!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/15257/LucasPapaya.zip

The nicest theme
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    The .json files are not really difficult at all. The config one is just a few lines that point to the theme folder to be used, configure a haptic (vibration) length, and a sound file, if desired when clicked.

the other .json file, from what I can tell, is just a index to image key mapping and and can just be duplicated within the theme folder.

Here are both files. To edit them, they are JUST text files, so TextPad, or Notepad, or word pad should be just fine to edit.

Just make sure you keep a copy of the theme_config.json file in the folder with your images.

As for the photshop files, well you really have to just look at one of the existing ones and copy the dimensions.

Basically the letter keys are 31x48 pixels, resolution of 72ppi. some of the other keys are a bit different. Use a working existing one as a size template. Also they need to be saved as transparant .png files.

Also probably a good idea to use monospace font styling.

Its not really hard if you have some basic PhotoShop, or Gimp, or Fireworks skills,. just time consuming,.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I don't think changing those json files would help. In fact I know it wouldn't cos I've tried it.

The "theme_config.json" file maps keys to png files, but I don't think it actually controls what character gets inputted. This is controlled in the other json files of the patch which are:

In folder /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/191.15/resources:
    kbchars_fulltable.json

and in subfolder en_us (or whateve the locale):
    kbchars_fulltable.json
    kbchars_fulltable_qwertz.json
    kbchars_table.json
    kbchars_table_azerty.json
    kbchars_table_qwertz.json

But I don't really understand why there are 6 files or what each one does, that's why I asked if a developer can point us to the right direction, or even better, provide a small explanation of what each of these does.

EDIT: To keep the forums clearer, maybe update the wiki "Technical Background" page with a bit more info on character mapping?
    Last edited by symos; 08/29/2009 at 08:45 AM.
    I'll let Eric post the details, and you're right, they need to be there.

But the short version today is yes, the kbchars json files do control the mapping between keypresses and what you get.

qwertz is a mapping that uses the european standard where the top row has a Z in the 6th position instead of Y
    azerty provides the mapping if the keyboard selected is the francophile standard where the top row reads azerty
    the kbchars_table.json table controls a standard qwerty keyboard selection
    Fullchars has all the symbols in addition and is the file you get when you press the soft sym key.

Fullchars then provides the info you need to remap the others. :-)

good luck
    I'll let Eric post the details, and you're right, they need to be there.

But the short version today is yes, the kbchars json files do control the mapping between keypresses and what you get.

qwertz is a mapping that uses the european standard where the top row has a Z in the 6th position instead of Y
    azerty provides the mapping if the keyboard selected is the francophile standard where the top row reads azerty
    the kbchars_table.json table controls a standard qwerty keyboard selection
    Fullchars has all the symbols in addition and is the file you get when you press the soft sym key.

Fullchars then provides the info you need to remap the others. :-)

good luck
    Thanks!
    I'll play around based on what you've said and if there's no success I'll wait for the full details.
    Ahhh my bad,,, I mis read what was wanted, re the json files. I see NOW he was wanting the REST of the json files to be able to create other character sets, ok.. ya, thats more than just copying the standard one IN the theme folder.

Ok, so to redeem my mis speaking I created a new KB theme. This one is called Autumn for its hues and colors, also its one of my Dogs names (ya got the idea from the cat name one)

Enjoy!

If I have more time a bit later I may do one for my other dog.. Denali, and have a ice white background with some blue lettering... we'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files