Page 34 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2429303132333435363738394484134 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    READ THE WIKI

REALLY. READ IT

PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE!! RTFM. We went to all the work to make a NICE manual for you. Really.... :-)

On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals
    My english skills are above par, no need to be rude about it. Jumping to conclusions is fail and though my input for an alpha product would have been useful

I resolved the problem by removing the patch, restart, apply patch, restart, enjoying. I do have other stuff running that prolly conflicted with the initial install.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetreoguys View Post
    My english skills are above par, no need to be rude about it. Jumping to conclusions is fail and though my input for an alpha product would have been useful

I resolved the problem by removing the patch, restart, apply patch, restart, enjoying. I do have other stuff running that prolly conflicted with the initial install.
    Fair enough. and I apologize.

RIck
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    My first NEW KB theme, and some info to maybe help others..

OK, it really was very easy..

Just did a glossy blue, for now

Attachment 28957

Just 2 small things to remember..

first, which is obvious, make sure you change that kb_config.json to reflect the folder name of your new theme. That file is located in:

/media/internal/virtual-keyboard/

I called mine glossy_blue, and uploaded it via WinSCP (also had to run a putty session to get rw perms) to the

/media/internal/virtual-keyboard/themes

I just added the whole new folder with the new images

Now HERE is what snagged me for a few seconds..

NOT only do you have to have ALL the new images IN that new folder, that your reference in kb_config.json , but you need the image/index file, which is theme_config.json. you can really just make a copy of this from any of the existing theme folders as its just a key - image mapping file

Hope that helps someone..

I really REALLY need to be doing some $$ creating WORK now.. ughhh , tho Id sure MUCH rather be doing more PRE PLAYING!

Look at you!!!!!..
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Fair enough. and I apologize.

RIck

Keep on rockin it!
    Okay guys one last question. I have just installed the keyboard using preware, and it works great!!...but i have a quick question: when i installed the preware using webos quick install, it also installed something called Package Manager Service. this package manager service showed up on my launcher. BUT when i installed the keyboard and my phone restarted, i can no longer see the Package Manager Service!!...is this normal??
    yap pockage manager service only stays on until u restart the phone
    thanks man!!..so i guess everything is set for me...great work guys!
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Amazing work. Is it normal for the backspace button to not work in landscape mode in the browser?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Ok, last theme from me for a couple weeks:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I LOVE THIS!! Worked in seconds for me!!

One hopefully, quick question, where is the file location/name for the background image file for this? I want it a bit darker so I can see it better.
    I need it darker in each case as well. Transluscent is beautiful but too hard for me to read.

I know that you are working out functionallity but could a less transparent theme be an option?

[Edit] I just went back to the webOS instructions and see how to change the theme myself!

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/28/2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    When I tried to edit a contact's email address, the cursor jumps to the end of the line after each character entered.

For example, I had the contact's email address as test@test.com, and wanted to change it to testlastname@test.com. When I move the cursor after the 2nd t and entered l, the cursor moved to end of com after entering the letter l. I had to move the cursor back after each character entered.
    Can you install themes without root access
    Sounds like there's still a few kinks to work out. Is this listen in the first post here? See if we can get the OP to list this just so people know / fixes can be worked on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_FTW View Post
    Can you install themes without root access
    As long as you've got the Keyboard already installed (not sure if the no-root-needed way is out already) yes you can. Connect in USB mode, open virtual-keyboard/kb_config.json & change the theme to one of the folder names in virtual-keyboard/themes. For new ones, just drop them into the theme folder.

An attempt to make the installation instructions a little clearer:

Theme Selection:
    01. Connect your Pre in USB mode & open up the drive.

02. Open the virtual-keyboard folder & you will see "sounds" "themes" & "kb_config.json".

02a. To view your theme choices open the folder & take a look at what the keys will look like.

02b. After making your selection, go back & open the "kb_config.json" with Notepad / Text Editor depending on your OS.

03. Go to the line that says ""theme": "remix_ice" & replace it with the folder name of the theme you want.

ie:
    Code:
    {
      "haptic": ##, // Zero for NO vibration, 50 for slight feedback, or 100 for a more forceful feedback, however many people said that 100 tends to lag.
      "clickFile": "click1.wav", // This will play a sound when you press each key.  To stop this just delete click1.wav so the quotes are empty.
      "theme": "THEME_Name" // Insert the name of the theme folder to change the look of the keyboard
    }
    [[ Note: The italicized text shouldn't be in your kb_config file, i just put that there to explain the values / what each line does. ]]

04. Save the file, place it back on the Pre (if you took it off to edit), & eject the USB drive. The next time you open the keyboard the changes should have taken effect.

To INSTALL A Theme:
    It is very easy to install themes. Just download & extract them, & simply drop the folder into /virtual-keyboard/themes while your Pre is in USB Mode. Then just follow the info above to select the new theme.

Hope this can help some people out.
    Last edited by Veritas06; 08/28/2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Clearer Instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    As long as you've got the Keyboard already installed (not sure if the no-root-needed way is out already) yes you can. Connect in USB mode, open virtual-keyboard/kb_config.json & change the theme to one of the folder names in virtual-keyboard/themes. For new ones, just drop them into the theme folder.
    What do you suggest I download to do this? Putty?
    To install the keyboard or the theme? My suggestion for the keyboard is to do it through Preware, if you cannot get that working (recently the Preware Patch Utility [now GNU Patch Utility] has been updated to fix issues) then use quilt to patch it. For the themes, all you need is notepad & your computer.
    To choose themes without root access see the webOS instructions.

It states that you can use any editor. I strongly urge that you do not use Word or other normal editors as it can automatically format quotation marks etc.

In Notepad the virtual-keyboard/kb_config.json file contents may look like this:
    Code:
    {☐  "haptic": 0,☐  "clickFile": "",☐  "theme": "remix_ice"}☐
    I wanted it to vibrate when I typed and the darker keys so I changed it to:
    Code:
    {☐  "haptic": 50,☐  "clickFile": "",☐  "theme": "remix_glossy"}☐
    The ☐ symbols are for carriage returns. Do not change them.

I tried adding click1.wav as the click file and it really seeming to slow down the response so I took it back out.

- Craig
    After the install with preware I noticed I had about 3 patches in quilt series that weren't applied so I just push -a again. Anyone else have that issue? Maybe I did something wrong.
    Any way for ease of access to get all the themes created placed on the first page, or somewhere in the wiki. I have been trying to keep up with them all but now we have so many throughout all the pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsuphi1490 View Post
    Any way for ease of access to get all the themes created placed on the first page, or somewhere in the wiki. I have been trying to keep up with them all but now we have so many throughout all the pages.
    I'm on my Pre & forgot to check, who is the OP? Maybe he/she could add to the first post? Or we just start a new topic with all of them.