Page 31 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132333435364181131 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deck82 View Post
    So is version 1.2 of VK on Preware an update to the release from 8-26 pm listed on the first post of this thread? I added the VK yesterday via command line and wanted to know if I should now install the version on Preware now. When I look at "Installed Applications" it is not listed so I can not see what version I currently have but it now shows up under "Availible Patches" and shows it was added at 1:30 this morning.
    The version in Preware is the absolute latest version, and Eric has said that he will only be publishing new versions in the ipkg format going forward (since then people get automatic update notifications through Preware, and it safely removes the old version and installs the new version).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Great thanks Rod! You guys have done an amazing job with Preware! In a short amount of time you have created an App store that is smoother and easier to use than the official App store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deck82 View Post
    Great thanks Rod! You guys have done an amazing job with Preware! In a short amount of time you have created an App store that is smoother and easier to use than the official App store.
    Not that short a time - we've been planning and designing the Preware open standard package feed ecosystem since day 1, but we had to make sure that we had all the infrastructure and workflows correctly functioning before bringing out the installer app. Function before form is our motto.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    phones rebooting right now, hoping when its up it has the keyboard!

you guys are AMAZING!!!!!
    the keyboard works so well..has a bit of a lag but dtill types everything fast!!!
    I LOVE THIS!! Worked in seconds for me!!

One hopefully, quick question, where is the file location/name for the background image file for this? I want it a bit darker so I can see it better.
    OK just thought I'd give a quick explanation of how I installed it. I know when I was reading all this I was pretty unsure of what to do...

NO ROOTING

I opened preware and saw updates for preware and the installer service..

So I opened quickinstall and removed both preware and service and installed latest version.

then from preware downloaded the keyboard patch that showed up under available patches.

and that was it! VERY SIMPLE now. before i was confused as to if i had to download the patch service or whatever it was.. and there wasnt much direction on how to do it.
    Keyboard config question?

To change to one of the included themes?

Is all I have to do , is edit the kb_config.json file

{
    "haptic": 0,
    "clickFile": "",
    "theme": "remix_ice"
    }

and change to say

{
    "theme": "remix_classic"
    }

save, and the new theme will appear?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I think the key here is to make sure you have the latest version of Preware and the Package Manager installed.

After that I had no issues installing the keyboard.

On another note..

It's a wonderful thing to have smart, and dedicated developers who don't mind taking time out of there schedule to help someone out.

Thanks to all who have invested time and effort in all the apps and patches.
    can't wait to get home so that I can instal preware and the keyboard on my phone.
    Yes sir

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post

{
    }

and change to say

{
    }

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdejavux View Post
    thanks for the theme i love the look maybe you can make a glossy look one \?
    I'll see what I can do. I actually got started on a nice glossy see-through keyboard, but I'm not sure I'll have it up today. I've got a couple of ideas for keyboards, but tomorrow morning I'm on vacation for 2 weeks, so if nothing else, when I get back there will be more themes.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

{
    }

and change to say

{
    }

Thanks!
    Yep just change the theme to whichever one you like. There are 3 themes available as part of the patch.

If you want sound when you hit a key just type in "click1.wav" after clickFile, and if you desire haptic feedback then just input any number between 1-100 after haptic.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Just updated via Preware as I had installed the keyborad yesterday using Putty. Ran into one small problem though. When istalling the patch I was given an error message that it failed. I did a hard rest (pulled the battery) and after the phone turned back on I went to try installing the patch again and it now tells me it is installed even though I received an error message stating it did not install and the keyboard is now listed under my installed apps. So if anyone has any problems try pulling the battery and see it that takes care of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
    Yep just change the theme to whichever one you like. There are 3 themes available as part of the patch.

If you want sound when you hit a key just type in "click1.wav" after clickFile, and if you desire haptic feedback then just input any number between 1-100 after haptic.
    AWESOMELY COOL!

All done!

Now IF I want a different look, all I have to do is change the images in one of the themes huh?

Can I include a whole new theme dir? will the config file see it?

Thanks to EVERYBODY for making this just THEEE MOST fun, one can possibly have with a cell phone heheh
    What happens if you forget to uninstall before a OTA update?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    AWESOMELY COOL!

All done!

Now IF I want a different look, all I have to do is change the images in one of the themes huh?

Can I include a whole new theme dir? will the config file see it?

Thanks to EVERYBODY for making this just THEEE MOST fun, one can possibly have with a cell phone heheh
    As an example I downloaded Eazy123 first theme (which is a few pages back). I downloaded the zip file then unzipped it.

Then I made a new folder and put it on my desktop and sent all the files in the zip folder over to my new folder.

I then put my Pre in USB mode and opened up the virtual keyboard folder. I then drug my new folder into the themes folder.

Lastly open up the kb_config.json with your text editor and just input the name of the folder you drug into the themes folder.

I named my new folder eazys_theme so after I was done my commands looked like this:

{
    "haptic": 50,
    "clickFile": "click1.wav",
    "theme": "eazys_theme"
    }

and everything worked great.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I guess you could also tweak the .png files to whatever you want and install it the same way you would the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOE-GUNZ View Post
    What happens if you forget to uninstall before a OTA update?
    The absolute worst case that can happen for any patch is that you need to use the webOS Doctor to recover. But that's an extremely unlikely (but non-zero possibility) case.

Now, with that disclaimer out of the way, we can discuss the likely outcomes.

The most likely outcome is if Palm updates the luna framework files, then it will change version number, and the keyboard will no longer work, and will no longer install either (we are very careful to do MD5SUM checks of the files we are patching to make sure that they are in a pristine state and are the exact files we are expecting to patch). Then you just need to wait for Preware to tell you about the keyboard update that will come shortly afterwards (when we update the patch and ipkg file) and install that to get your keyboard back.

The second most likely outcome is if Palm does not update the luna framework files. Then the keyboard will continue to work as it nothing happened.

-- Rod
    Guys i have one very important question. When palm releases a new update, how do i uninstall the virtual keyboard patch??.....will the preware application be able to remove the patch for me, or will i have to uninstall Preware. Please i need a detailed step-by-step instruction. I want to know what to do when that time comes.

Thanks in advance