Page 20 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070120 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    If you have the images for all of the keys its just a matter of changing names and editing them to the proper dimensions.
  2.    #382  
    The key dimensions are handled by the keyboard as the CSS uses % to scale the image to the correct size. So they just have to "look" good scaled down to the element size.

The wiki has information on creating themes in the current setup. Please note that the orange, shift, blank (left and right) and sym keys are currently hard-coded to their element indices (i.e. elment at index 20 is assumed to be orange key and will produce orange-key functionality when pressed).

If you want to create/port your own theme, you can follow the format in one of the other themes (e.g /media/internal/virtual-keyboard/themes/remix_ice). But do NOT edit the files in the existing themes, as these will be replaced on each future upgrade. You can create a new directory named whatever you want alongside the default themes. The kb_config.json can then be edited to use that theme name and all should work.

Also note that this is still very raw and the structure of themes may change in the future with regards to the .json and options. The layout of having one image per key (a.png, b.png etc...) will most likely be the same long-term however.
    Since click1.wav is under the /media/internal hierarchy (/media/internal/virtual-keyboard/sounds/click1.wav), it shows up in the Music player application.

Kind of annoying. Support files shouldn't pollute the media catalog.
    is there a hack to show the address bar in landscape mode so that we can use the on-screen keyboard in landscape
    Could you please provide a step-by-step set of instructions of how to do this from beginning to end for those of us who are new to rooting, etc?

thanks!

brian
    Quote Originally Posted by laphotoparty View Post
    Could you please provide a step-by-step set of instructions of how to do this from beginning to end for those of us who are new to rooting, etc?

thanks!

brian
    They did in the first post
    [/QUOTE]scroll to the bottom it shows the different theme names along with sounds and haptic information. Now plug in your pre put it into usb mode, click virtual keyboard than "kb_config" and delete the current theme and put the theme of your choice in its place. here is what mine looks like[/QUOTE]

ok, so I have successfully changed my dialer theme, my boot screen, added pages, got my flashlight working, got the keyboard working, made my launcher transparent, but for the life of me, can NOT get this haptic thing working. PLEASE tell me what i need to do, i am currently at "root@castle:/#" ....what exactly do i need to do from here to get haptic feedback for the keyboard? thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    @dingwall1

What I did was once I plugged my Pre into the computer, I put it into USB mode.
    From there I opened the virtual-keyboard folder.
    I then opened the kb_config file with my text editor (mine is Notepad ++).
    Once you open it with a text editor change the values. From what I heard set the haptic to a tleast 50 to get some response.
    Once you change the values to your liking simply save the file.
    Properly eject the Pre from your computer and open the keyboard. You will see the changes.

Hope this helps, it worked for me.
    ok, then I may be missing something, as I have yet to have to put the phone into USB mode, and am clueless as far as how to open the virtual keyboard folder, nor do use a text editor, i simply go into the command prompt. So now, I'm very confused and worried I've been doing something wrong, even though the changes I've made so far have worked. Thanks for the reply, hopefully you have more in ya, lol.
    boy do i feel silly, one sec, i think i got it....
    Yep, got it!! Thanks alot TCCCCnME. Your guidance finished my mission!! LOL, I can't think of anything left to do now.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm glad it worked.
    How does the haptic feedback feel? What did you set it on?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    That makes sense. I may take a stab at rooting eventually then, but for now I'll just observe from a distance. Thanks for taking this challenge on.
    @emoney_33 So I gave in yesterday, rooted my Pre for the first time and installed the keyboard patch. I love it and am amazed by how much work you've done in such a short timeframe. Well done!

I have two questions:

1) The enter key doesn't work. Is that a known bug? When I hit enter, the keyboard disappears instead of responding correctly.
    2) In Tasks, I see a ghosted layout of the symbols/characters below the keyboard. Is that a glitch or is it intentional?

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
    I'm glad it worked.
    How does the haptic feedback feel? What did you set it on?
    I set it on 50, as you suggested, and it feels as it should, maybe a little too "dim".....if that makes any sense at all.....didn't add the click noise, but I think i will go in and do that to see how annoying it gets. Thanks again.
    @emoney_33 So I gave in yesterday, rooted my Pre for the first time and installed the keyboard patch. I love it and am amazed by how much work you've done in such a short timeframe. Well done!

I have two questions:

1) The enter key doesn't work. Is that a known bug? When I hit enter, the keyboard disappears instead of responding correctly.
    2) In Tasks, I see a ghosted layout of the symbols/characters below the keyboard. Is that a glitch or is it intentional?

Rob

I had seen your response as far as not rooting, and thought to myself how I was in your shoes just a few days before, this really isn't that hard THANKS to the guys and gals doing all the real work here at precentral. Glad you got your stuff up and running......
  16.    #396  

I have two questions:

Rob

1) The only known bug with enter not working is in webview, neither backspace nor enter work in webview pages.

2) Glitch, good find.
  17.    #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan99 View Post
    Since click1.wav is under the /media/internal hierarchy (/media/internal/virtual-keyboard/sounds/click1.wav), it shows up in the Music player application.

Kind of annoying. Support files shouldn't pollute the media catalog.

Thanks for pointing that out, I will work on restructuring the sounds into /var
    how the hell do you apply this patche.....im in root and i tried to apply the keyboard patch and i pasted it into putty....and i get errors like "HUNK #1 FAILED AT 1" "COULD NOT PUSH PATCH" "COULD NOT INSTALL PATCH" and than it says to visit the webos website to learn how to apply patches? anyone got a simple easy steps on how to do this?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    emoney_33, not sure if you have seen this (it's old) but i believe it has some good refernce points for you to help build the keyboard. look at 3:00 in the video, i think that would be an awesome implementation if you could.
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    @eggroks

This is what I do. I'm using Putty. Once I gain root access and type in my name then password make sure you type: sudo su -

After that it will take you to root@castle. From there you want to type: mount -o remount, rw /

Next copy and paste the command posted on the first page of this thread. This will install the keyboard and themes.

Give it a minute to load everything on.

Lastly type in: stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr

This worked for me, it may not work for anyone else. I have setup quilt following the instructions at the Applying Patches Wiki Page.

If this doesn't work then I suggest to gain root access and from root@castle copy and paste each command found on the Applying Patches page.