Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Battery Icon and Pecent Description:

This will add a color-coded percent number with the battery icon in the top bar. Charging = Teal. 100%-70% = Green. 69%-45% = Yellow. = 44%-20% = Orange. 19%-0% = Red.

Up in the top right we have the battery icon, is it or would it be possible to tweak the OS to show us a percentage % of battery life instead of the icon?

I am somewhat willing to root and tweak the OS in vi and all but do not have the knowledge to see if this could be done. Just wondering if it could! And possibly how! Thanks!

Edit: So nesl247 has a working patch for the % in place of the battery icon with color!!!

Go to thread post #98 for the master of all posts! "One post to rule them all!" It is spelled out perfectly and easy for all to see!

Pics of this in technicolor can be found here!!! And proof it's running in 1.1.0

More tweaking!
    So if one is willing to "tweak and hack" a little more in root go to post #325 (wow this thread has taken off!) and you can make it so the percentage is Blue while being charged! Pretty neat tweak (thank the appropriate people) but it does require some serious rooting! Pictures their to prove it also!
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/12/2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added description and screenshot - hope that is OK
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    That would be way more useful than the current icon, hopefully Palm changes this for non-rooted Pres!
  3. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    +1 for % meter instead of the icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndz View Post
    +1 for % meter instead of the icon.
    ditto that
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Working on it, and almost have it done I think. Problem is everytime I need to test it, I have to restart the pre which takes about 3 minutes. Anyone know a way to restart the UI?
    /sbin/initctl stop LunaSysMgr

then

/sbin/initctl start LunaSysMgr
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    What's the easiest way to give links to the 2 patches needed (2 files). I can't post links yet because of my post count.

It does work for me (using it on my pre), but it might not be the prettiest. It's the same looking text as the time, and without more space, I can't fit a % sign in there. But the number does display properly.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    nesl247, I'm at the same point. Just put a URL without the h t t p : / / part. Then people can copy and paste the URL if they really want it.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Or you could post it over at the webOS internal Wiki Main Page - WebOS Internals
    I would sure love this info.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Sorry was at work when I got the email about removing http... Anyway, here's the info:

The following two links contain the patches needed for this to work.

pastebin.com/f3497f51d - /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css
    pastebin.com/f44115c2e - /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs

It worked for me, though I didn't test the patch after pastebin'ing it.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Sweet, Now I suppose I should be the first one to try since I asked, haha. So while in root just copy/paste each line or do I need to 'cp' the lines? (Sorry for the lack of knowledge)
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Remount root as rw: rootfs_open -w

Copy and pate the first to /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css.diff and the second to /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.$diff$

Then:

cd /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets
    patch < systemui.css.diff
    cd /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers
    patch < bar-assistant.jsjsjs.$diff$

Try that and see if it works. It should, but again I'm not 100% sure since I modified the file by hand.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I keep getting
    Code:
    /bin/sh: patch: not found
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Have you setup ipkg-opt and the repository? If so, as root:

ipkg-opt update
    ipkg-opt install patch
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Thanks, installed the ipkg-opt update and all now:
    Code:
    patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
    patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.
    This is how I am doing it all. I copy the file over to the USB I then
    Code:
    cp /media/internal/(file name) /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css.diff
    cp /media/internal/(file name) /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.$diff$
    I then do the write up you have for the patch, I cd / over the the directory and try the patch <

What am I doing wrong? Is there a file name wrong somewhere? Thanks for your patients!
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Any ideas?
    Well, I can tell you the code seems to work. I edited the files manually and everything looks good so far. It shows the % of charge instead of that battery icon. I'm not sure if I really like how it looks, but its there.
    However, now the screen locks while it is charging. That's not normal is it? I thought it stayed unlocked while charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by nesl247 View Post
    Working on it, and almost have it done I think. Problem is everytime I need to test it, I have to restart the pre which takes about 3 minutes. Anyone know a way to restart the UI?
    Thanks this works is there any way to put a percent sign behind the numbers?
    Also looking at this code it appears that the low battery alert is here, do you know how to go about nulling it or giving it another class?
Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast