webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > HOWTO - Always enable E-mail app rotation w/ landscape view
HOWTO - Always enable E-mail app rotation w/ landscape view

Old 07/09/2009, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

- UPDATE 07-23-2009 - UPDATED AND CERTIFIED FOR Palm WebOS v1.1.0

THIS HOWTO IS CERTIFIED FOR WEBOS v1.1.0 - DO NOT USE THIS FOR OLDER VERSIONS OF WEBOS!

This HOWTO requires that you already have root access to your phone. If you need more information on how to do that search the forum.

UPDATED JULY 12th, 2009 - NOW INCLUDES BROKEN FORMATTING FIX FOR REPLY/FORWARD E-MAILS
To update or Install just follow the same instructions, the script will restore from the original backup copies first, then make all modifications again.

Click Here to search for my HOWTO's and Answers for the Palm PRE!

NOTES:
This was taken from the original post over at predev.wikidot.com/enable-landscape-viewing - I just put it into a simple script/command set that you can just copy and paste into your ssh / terminal window. Thanks to predev.wikidot.com for the information!

USAGE:
Just open the messaging application and then rotate your Palm Pre! This is the same thing that is enabled when you type the cheat/hidden code "RocknRollHax" in the messaging application, however this enables the feature without having to do that everytime you open the messaging application.

I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

1. Login to your Palm PRE and obtain root access.. (Again look around the forums to see how to do this)

2. Once you are at the "root@castle" prompt COPY and PASTE all of the following code into your terminal / putty / ssh window.. (These commands will make backup copies of the original files, then modify them)

** This will reboot your PRE so be sure to close all of your applications beforehand. **
Code:
#
# ENABLE EMAIL ROTATION - LANDSCAPE MODE
#
mount -o remount,rw /
#
# RESTORE FILES
# 
echo RESTORING ORIGINAL FILES IF AVAILABLE
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/accounts-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/accounts-assistant.js
#
# BACKUP FILES
#
echo BACKING UP ORIGINAL FILES
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js_1-1-0
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js_1-1-0
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/accounts-assistant.js /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/accounts-assistant.js_1-1-0
#
# MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO list-assistant.js
#
echo MAKING MODIFICATIONS TO list-assistant.js
sed -i "s/this.controller.setupWidget(Mojo.Menu.commandMenu, undefined, this.cmdMenuModel);/this.controller.setupWidget(Mojo.Menu.commandMenu, undefined, this.cmdMenuModel);\n\
        this.controller.window.PalmSystem.setWindowOrientation(\"free\");/g" /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js
#
# MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO compose-assistant.js
#
echo MAKING MODIFICATIONS TO compose-assistant.js
sed -i "s/ComposeAssistant.onLoad.defer(this.controller, this.email);/ComposeAssistant.onLoad.defer(this.controller, this.email);\n\
                this.controller.window.PalmSystem.setWindowOrientation(\"free\");/g" /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js
#
# MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO compose-assistant.js - FIX BROKEN FORMATTING IN REPLY-FORWARD EMAILS
#
echo MAKING MODIFICATIONS TO compose-assistant.js - FIX BROKEN FORMATTING IN REPLY-FORWARD EMAILS - PART 1
sed -i "s/var splitIndex = originalText.indexOf(\"<body\");/\/* -START- REPLACE BY D2GLOBALINC MODIFICATION TO FIX REPLY-FORWARD FORMATTING\n\
        var splitIndex = originalText.indexOf(\"<body\");/g" /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js
#
#
echo MAKING MODIFICATIONS TO compose-assistant.js - FIX BROKEN FORMATTING IN REPLY-FORWARD EMAILS - PART 2
sed -i "s/\/\/ Truncate to 100K if the message is too long./*\/\n\
        \/\/ -END- REPLACE BY D2GLOBALINC MODIFICATION TO FIX REPLY-FORWARD FORMATTING\n\
\n\
        \/\/ FIX BROKEN FORMATTING IN REPLAY-FORWARD\n\
        var splitIndex = originalText.indexOf(\"<body\");\n\
        if (splitIndex > 0) {\n\
                splitIndex = originalText.indexOf(\'>\', splitIndex);\n\
                if (splitIndex > 0) {\n\
                        splitIndex++;\n\
                        Mojo.Log.info(\"Slicing header starting at\", splitIndex);\n\
                        originalText = originalText.slice(splitIndex);\n\
                }\n\
        } else {\n\
                originalText = originalText.gsub(\"\\\n\",\"<br\/>\");\n\
        }\n\
\n\
        \/\/ Truncate to 100K if the message is too long./g" /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js
#
# MAKE MODIFICATIONS TO accounts-assistant.js
#
echo MAKING MODIFICATIONS TO accounts-assistant.js
sed -i "s/this.controller.listen(this.controller.sceneElement, Mojo.Event.keypress, this.keypressHandler.bind(this));/this.controller.listen(this.controller.sceneElement, Mojo.Event.keypress, this.keypressHandler.bind(this));\n\
                this.controller.window.PalmSystem.setWindowOrientation(\"free\");/g" /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/accounts-assistant.js
#
# COMPLETE UPDATE
#
mount -o remount,ro /
echo INSTALLATION COMPELTE... REBOOTING DEVICE...
/sbin/reboot
#
Good Luck! And Happy Hacking!!

- D2G

To restore original files use the following:
Code:
#
# DISABLE EMAIL ROTATION - LANDSCAPE MODE
#
mount -o remount,rw /
#
# RESTORE FILES
# 
echo RESTORING ORIGINAL FILES IF AVAILABLE
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/compose-assistant.js
cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/accounts-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/accounts-assistant.js
#
# COMPLETE UPDATE
#
mount -o remount,ro /
echo INSTALLATION COMPELTE... REBOOTING DEVICE...
/sbin/reboot

Last edited by d2globalinc; 07/24/2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Included formatting fix for reply/forward e-mails
d2globalinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks these are easy to implement. Was trying to do the patches, but I must be missing something.
DNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Copy/pasted the whole thing, worked fine. Good job sir!
the_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Worked awesome! Thanks!
dbarrett5381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, I didn't care enough to do this until you made it so easy, works great!
mdmogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

wow...i saw this and was a little suspicious...could it really be this easy? and yes...yes it is.
morningisbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have to agree, I was scared to root the pre and do this, but it is very easy... THANK YOU VERY MUCH....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
Palm Pre
Bigchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks! After rooting, I was lost as to how to apply patches!! Your instructions are super easy. I am bookmarking all your HOW TO's. Again, thanks much!!
Old 07/09/2009, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is very nice! Thanks!
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

can you please do the same copy n paste trick for the "enable downloading from web browser"? I really want to enable this. thanx alot
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2009, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
can you please do the same copy n paste trick for the "enable downloading from web browser"? I really want to enable this. thanx alot
lol. i wish they were all these simple. i asked if he could do the same with the call duration hack. im trying to get call duration and sms time/date stamps but its not as simple as these.
ldostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

w00t! worked! My first Pre rooting change!
majikTib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 02:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks man super easy!!!
cannibal869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 02:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

d2globalinc - you are my new PRE hero!!!
dsackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 04:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
d2globalinc - you are my new PRE hero!!!
Pre-ro?

O_o
SirataXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 04:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks, worked great.
bobvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 10:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

thank you very much. worked perfect.
erider81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 02:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
zxi

Thanks, worked perfectly!
zxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 04:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Xyg

Can't you just type RocknRollHax if you don't feel like rooting?
Xyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2009, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
Can't you just type RocknRollHax if you don't feel like rooting?
yes you can but you would have to do it everytime you reopen the email app.
ldostang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, landscape, rocknrollhax

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0