Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I too seem to be having some issue. I copy then paste.. but see no code in my terminal window (Im using xp cmd propt, with the novacom tty start to get to root@castle#)

After it sits for a bit, I just Ctrl-C to escape, and it seems to knock me out of the term, and back to the xp cmd prompt program files\palm\sdk\bin, then eches back each line of code, telling me its not recogised as an internal or external program or batch file.. well ya duhhh its NOT, as far as DOS (ya, whatever Windows) is concerned

Why is it knocking out my term session just from copy/paste some text.

I have even copied it from the post here, and first pasted in Notepad to maybe remove any formatting characters it may see

Any Clue here?

I have properly rooted, changed dialer colors, and a few other mods, but this one is being stubborn

Thanks
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for an outstanding piece of work. It works perfectly on my pre--using OS 1.1.0. Installed without incident; your instructions were crystal clear. Great job!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    You sir (or ma'am) are a wonderful person. Copy/pasted this and it works like a charm. Love this phone!
    Does copy/paste via PuTTy work differently than copy/paste via a root@castle# prompt thru a windows cmd prompt logged in via novacom?

I KEEP getting the same issue, of being knocked out of my term session , when after pasting the code, and not getting it to show up. (Yes, I have doing Ctrl-C) to escape after no activity

Related question: What do I need to intall to get PuTTy to work?

Thanks!
    By George I THINK I GOT IT Finally!!

For some reason, copy/paste of executable code does not work (at least not for me) logged in thru cmd prompt > novcom .... root@castle$

But, once I searched around, and found Hotrock85 Video on all the things needed for gettting PuTTy to intsall and work,

The video was a bit hard to watch, as it was jumpy and blurry. But after watching/pausing/watching, the instructions were in perfect step, and correct!, So THANK you HOTROCK85 for that!

I WAS indeed ABLE to do a simple copy (it auto pasted once I was in the puTTy session) and Lo and Behold IT WORKS!!

Landscape Email ALL THE TIME!!

Whew!! That hurt my brain, but was worth it!
    Quote Originally Posted by d2globalinc View Post
    - UPDATE 07-23-2009 - UPDATED AND CERTIFIED FOR Palm WebOS v1.1.0

THIS HOWTO IS CERTIFIED FOR WEBOS v1.1.0 - DO NOT USE THIS FOR OLDER VERSIONS OF WEBOS!

This HOWTO requires that you already have root access to your phone. If you need more information on how to do that search the forum.

UPDATED JULY 12th, 2009 - NOW INCLUDES BROKEN FORMATTING FIX FOR REPLY/FORWARD E-MAILS
    To update or Install just follow the same instructions, the script will restore from the original backup copies first, then make all modifications again.

Click Here to search for my HOWTO's and Answers for the Palm PRE!

NOTES:
    This was taken from the original post over at predev.wikidot.com/enable-landscape-viewing - I just put it into a simple script/command set that you can just copy and paste into your ssh / terminal window. Thanks to predev.wikidot.com for the information!

USAGE:
    Just open the messaging application and then rotate your Palm Pre! This is the same thing that is enabled when you type the cheat/hidden code "RocknRollHax" in the messaging application, however this enables the feature without having to do that everytime you open the messaging application.

I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

1. Login to your Palm PRE and obtain root access.. (Again look around the forums to see how to do this)

2. Once you are at the "root@castle" prompt COPY and PASTE all of the following code into your terminal / putty / ssh window.. (These commands will make backup copies of the original files, then modify them)

** This will reboot your PRE so be sure to close all of your applications beforehand. **
    Code:
    #
    # ENABLE EMAIL ROTATION - LANDSCAPE MODE
    #
    mount -o remount,rw /
    #
    # RESTORE FILES
    # 
    echo RESTORING ORIGINAL FILES IF AVAILABLE
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.jsjsjs
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js$
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$accounts$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$accounts$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    # $BACKUP$ $FILES$
    #
    $echo$ $BACKING$ $UP$ $ORIGINAL$ $FILES$
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$list$-$assistant$.$js$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$list$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$accounts$-$assistant$.$js$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$accounts$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$
    #
    # $MAKE$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $list$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    $echo$ $MAKING$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $list$-$assistant$.$js$
    $sed$ -$i$ &$quot$;$s$/$this$.$controller$.$setupWidget$($Mojo$.$Menu$.$commandMenu$, $undefined$, $this$.$cmdMenuModel$);/$this$.$controller$.$setupWidget$($Mojo$.$Menu$.$commandMenu$, $undefined$, $this$.$cmdMenuModel$);\$n$\
            $this$.$controller$.$window$.$PalmSystem$.$setWindowOrientation$(\&$quot$;$free$\&$quot$;);/$g$&$quot$; /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$list$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    # $MAKE$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $compose$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    $echo$ $MAKING$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $compose$-$assistant$.$js$
    $sed$ -$i$ &$quot$;$s$/$ComposeAssistant$.$onLoad$.$defer$($this$.$controller$, $this$.$email$);/$ComposeAssistant$.$onLoad$.$defer$($this$.$controller$, $this$.$email$);\$n$\
                    $this$.$controller$.$window$.$PalmSystem$.$setWindowOrientation$(\&$quot$;$free$\&$quot$;);/$g$&$quot$; /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    # $MAKE$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $compose$-$assistant$.$js$ - $FIX$ $BROKEN$ $FORMATTING$ $IN$ $REPLY$-$FORWARD$ $EMAILS$
    #
    $echo$ $MAKING$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $compose$-$assistant$.$js$ - $FIX$ $BROKEN$ $FORMATTING$ $IN$ $REPLY$-$FORWARD$ $EMAILS$ - $PART$ $1$
    $sed$ -$i$ &$quot$;$s$/$var$ $splitIndex$ = $originalText$.$indexOf$(\&$quot$;&$lt$;$body$\&$quot$;);/\/* -$START$- $REPLACE$ $BY$ $D2GLOBALINC$ $MODIFICATION$ $TO$ $FIX$ $REPLY$-$FORWARD$ $FORMATTING$\$n$\
            $var$ $splitIndex$ = $originalText$.$indexOf$(\&$quot$;&$lt$;$body$\&$quot$;);/$g$&$quot$; /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    #
    $echo$ $MAKING$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $compose$-$assistant$.$js$ - $FIX$ $BROKEN$ $FORMATTING$ $IN$ $REPLY$-$FORWARD$ $EMAILS$ - $PART$ $2$
    $sed$ -$i$ &$quot$;$s$/\/\/ $Truncate$ $to$ $100K$ $if$ $the$ $message$ $is$ $too$ $long$./*\/\$n$\
            \/\/ -$END$- $REPLACE$ $BY$ $D2GLOBALINC$ $MODIFICATION$ $TO$ $FIX$ $REPLY$-$FORWARD$ $FORMATTING$\$n$\
    \$n$\
            \/\/ $FIX$ $BROKEN$ $FORMATTING$ $IN$ $REPLAY$-$FORWARD$\$n$\
            $var$ $splitIndex$ = $originalText$.$indexOf$(\&$quot$;&$lt$;$body$\&$quot$;);\$n$\
            $if$ ($splitIndex$ &$gt$; $0$) {\$n$\
                    $splitIndex$ = $originalText$.$indexOf$(\'&$gt$;\', $splitIndex$);\$n$\
                    $if$ ($splitIndex$ &$gt$; $0$) {\$n$\
                            $splitIndex$++;\$n$\
                            $Mojo$.$Log$.$info$(\&$quot$;$Slicing$ $header$ $starting$ $at$\&$quot$;, $splitIndex$);\$n$\
                            $originalText$ = $originalText$.$slice$($splitIndex$);\$n$\
                    }\$n$\
            } $else$ {\$n$\
                    $originalText$ = $originalText$.$gsub$(\&$quot$;\\\$n$\&$quot$;,\&$quot$;&$lt$;$br$\/&$gt$;\&$quot$;);\$n$\
            }\$n$\
    \$n$\
            \/\/ $Truncate$ $to$ $100K$ $if$ $the$ $message$ $is$ $too$ $long$./$g$&$quot$; /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    # $MAKE$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $accounts$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    $echo$ $MAKING$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $accounts$-$assistant$.$js$
    $sed$ -$i$ &$quot$;$s$/$this$.$controller$.$listen$($this$.$controller$.$sceneElement$, $Mojo$.$Event$.$keypress$, $this$.$keypressHandler$.$bind$($this$));/$this$.$controller$.$listen$($this$.$controller$.$sceneElement$, $Mojo$.$Event$.$keypress$, $this$.$keypressHandler$.$bind$($this$));\$n$\
                    $this$.$controller$.$window$.$PalmSystem$.$setWindowOrientation$(\&$quot$;$free$\&$quot$;);/$g$&$quot$; /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$accounts$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    # $COMPLETE$ $UPDATE$
    #
    $mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    $echo$ $INSTALLATION$ $COMPELTE$... $REBOOTING$ $DEVICE$...
    /$sbin$/$reboot$
    #
    Good Luck! And Happy Hacking!!

- D2G

To restore original files use the following:
    Code:
    #
    # DISABLE EMAIL ROTATION - LANDSCAPE MODE
    #
    mount -o remount,rw /
    #
    # RESTORE FILES
    # 
    echo RESTORING ORIGINAL FILES IF AVAILABLE
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/app/controllers/list-assistant.jsjsjs
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$compose$-$assistant$.$js$
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$accounts$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$email$/$app$/$controllers$/$accounts$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    # $COMPLETE$ $UPDATE$
    #
    $mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    $echo$ $INSTALLATION$ $COMPELTE$... $REBOOTING$ $DEVICE$...
    /$sbin$/$reboot$

Question, just so I know and understand before breaking something
    IF I have enabled this with the enable code, do I need to disable it with the disable codes before re enabling it via Quick Install Tweaks?

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Question, just so I know and understand before breaking something
    IF I have enabled this with the enable code, do I need to disable it with the disable codes before re enabling it via Quick Install Tweaks?

Thanks!!
    I have been advised via the IRC channel to always disable any tweak via the command prompt (if enabled via command prompt) before enabling it via Quick Install / Preware.

Here is an example on how to remove the OSK: (change the red part to fit other tweaks)
    Code:
    sudo -i 
    mount -o rw,remount /
    cd / 
    quilt pop -a
    quilt delete /opt/src/patches/frameworks/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch
    quilt push -a
    mount -o ro,remount /
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    I have been advised via the IRC channel to always disable any tweak via the command prompt (if enabled via command prompt) before enabling it via Quick Install / Preware.

Here is an example on how to remove the OSK: (change the red part to fit other tweaks)
    Code:
    sudo -i 
    mount -o rw,remount /
    cd / 
    quilt pop -a
    quilt delete /opt/src/patches/frameworks/add-onscreen-keyboard.patch
    quilt push -a
    mount -o ro,remount /

Thanks for that.. but I have not messed with quilt yet, its on my list.

So I was asking if the original code to disable would be ok to do before doing the TWeaks?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Thanks for that.. but I have not messed with quilt yet, its on my list.

So I was asking if the original code to disable would be ok to do before doing the TWeaks?

Thanks

A quick examination of the original remove code reveals it just copys the backup files over the files the install code created (backups were created during install).

So it is a safe removal of e-mail rotation.

I don't exactly understand the rest of your question.
    Thanks, that was basicaly what I wanted confirmed. That the disable copy/paste code would work.

It did, and now I have the Tweak, handing it, so I can easily undo it prior to any updates.

Thanks!
    OK, it's definitely:
    sudo su-
    that's the way to get it to work properly.
    Be sure to enter that after you have gained access via putty.exe.
    after entering your sign in, and password(assuming that you've gone through all the steps to get to root access).
    I have one question i have webos quick install tweeks and have rooted to get email rotation (web os tweek killed ability to reply to emails) do i have to remove all patches prior to webos update PS sorry for the long post
    Quote Originally Posted by ira9700 View Post
    I have one question i have webos quick install tweeks and have rooted to get email rotation (web os tweek killed ability to reply to emails) do i have to remove all patches prior to webos update PS sorry for the long post
    You don't HAVE TO, however it is HIGHLY recommended. I believe so far Palm has updated the entire file of any minuscule change (rather than just patching a line). So more than likely it will be ok if you update without removing the tweaks. However, its much easier to remove the tweaks before an update than to visit the WebOS Doctor if for some strange reason the files become corrupt in an update.

Also note, when you download a WebOS update, you have the option of clicking install or to close the update app (and update after removing the tweaks).

Better safe than sorry.... Remove the tweaks before a future WebOS update is installed on your Pre.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I may have discovered a problem when using Landscape Email. I have not yet applied the patch that makes this permanent... I've still been using the 'RocknRollHax' method.

When I tried to share a Web page (send via email), I got a message that I had too many cards opened. There were only 3 total, and I knew I'd shared pages with many more cards opened than that. But it occurred to me that I had the Email app open w/ landscape enabled. I had to closed all cards but the Browser, and I was then able to share the page.

I have since reproduced this, even with just 3 cards open. Sometimes it's necessary to close all cards, including the browser, before it will let you share a page.

So maybe this is why the feature is there, but only enabled via a hack? Perhaps there is a memory leak problem, or even that it's just a big resource hog right now.

Is anyone else able to confirm this, or is it just my Pre? I'm running v1.1.0.
    Would it be possible to create an app that would launch the mail app and then "enter" in the RocknRollHax code automatically?

If there is a tweak for this already then forgive me as I don't use quick install but would be interested in a loader/app
    Anyone know if this is working in 1.2.0 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    Anyone know if this is working in 1.2.0 ?
    No it hasn't been updated yet.

Edit: Here is a list of what has/hasn't been updated

- Keep in mind after a patch has been updated there may be a slight lag until the wiki gets updated to say so as well.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    I can no longer use 'RocknRollHax' to get landscape email

bummer
    there is a patch using preware that keeps email landscape permanent. search the forum to figure out details.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I just installed 1.2.1, and RocknRollHax still works perfectly for me. :-) FYI- My PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $completely$ $stock$, $I$ $have$ $not$ $done$ $a$ $single$ $modification$ $to$ $it$.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast