Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #21  
    This part is in relation to Phones:
    Once upon a time I tried a bunch of these flags, but unfortunately I didn't retain any useful notes. For instance I tried ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE, but that didn't work with the ##devmode# code because then you get to the DevMode app and the only way to go forward is to Disable DevMode and restart before you can turn it on again and restart again...
    In the end I felt the easiest way to skip Palm Profile stuff on my phones was to use ##devmode# and enable DevMode without activating extra flags in meta-doctor.

This part is in relation to TouchPads:
    I think the multiple posts calling for "Activation Bypass" are about getting TouchPads running and perhaps the answer is actually "BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP" I can test that in the next few days...
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    A list of suggestions for inclusion from the last user group meeting:
    - Activation Bypass
    - OSSL
    - Preware

Possible additions if they are created:
    - Updated time service
    - Updated internet location service
    Something else that I think is important to consider including, if possible, are the steps described in the "The application database is almost full" and "db quota exceeded" threads to avoid EVERYTHING getting DELETED from your device:
    - Resize partitions
    - Increase quotas value
    - Increase maxLocks
    - Install Google Calendars Sync Behaviors patch

After applying the above steps to my Pre3 way back in April 2014, it's been working pretty well ever since (except for known webOS limitations, like web browser, emoji, etc, and occasionally partial old text message text showing up in Messaging app when a new text msg arrives), which is still amazing to me!
    Last edited by UI Designer; 09/19/2017 at 08:37 PM.
    bbito and gazaud like this.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by UI Designer View Post
    - Install Google Calendars Sync Behaviors patch
    I like the rest of the list, but that Google patch isn't recommended with C+DAV, so it may be that some want C+DAV and some want this patch.
    "If you already use CalDav synergy, then you don't need these patches." - first sentence at Google Calendar Sync Behaviors patch
    C+DAV: C+Dav Synergy connector for owncloud, google, yahoo, iCloud
    Given my level of ignorance, I'm already posting too much on this thread, but...
    Reading between the lines, I think Grabber5.0 totally wants to get involved in this project.

I agree: Making a test doctor that only bypasses activation is the easiest way to resolve this.

I think C+DAV and google patches are compatible - see the Service pack thread for links to the original threads. I think a patch for C+DAV is included in the Gsync fix, so should not be installed if both will be used.
    ~~~

Good work guys.. we really do need something a little more 'updated' now I feel.
    Quick 2cents worth:
    I have never got into the Meta Doctoring process - (and would rather not!) - but have done such as make up a folder of customised Icons etc with which I can then replace the standard 'Images' folder in one fell swoop after a Doctoring.

Just looking through which TP Apps/Patches I always install first via Preware/WOSQI for basic improved functionality anyway:

1). TouchVol.. Yes, agreed - and in my expertience this also allows one to set up excellent equalised & much required boosted audio on the Pre3 & Veer phones too.
    2). Touchplayer (a handy option, but perhaps now 'superceded' by Lunetube?).
    3). EOM Overlord Monitoring + Muffle Sytem Logging. Gets around where HP managed to slooow everything up to a glitchy standstill at times.
    4). SubOrbital (TP only). Really lets one manage the Launcher properly.
    5). Theme Manager. Ditto 'Themes'.
    6). Internalz Pro.
    7). Govnah/Assorted Kernels.
    8). Xecutah/XServer/Xterm.
    9). Advanced Reset Options.
    10). Unthrottle Download Manager.
    11). Faster Card Animations HYPER Version.
    12). Increase Touch Sensitivity & Smoothness.
    13). Smooth Scrolling & FPS Boosters.

Not suggesting all these have to be INcluded in a patch-package, but in my experience most turn webOS back into a joy to use, as opposed to the original HP-mess we were given in 2011.

HP & the Servers (sounds like a crap R&R Band!) is to my mind now basically a suitably 'grey area'!
    Do you recall when Rod Whitby made his final visit to HP HQ and walked away with a couple of useful Servers - probably those still running webOS Internalz/Preware etc now?
    It is 'possible' that at this time HP also agreed to 'forget' about, or at least turn a long term 'blind eye' to the webOS Doctor Servers still left running in the background for us?
    Any 'clues' here Rod?

As Dalai Lama also often says: "Know the Rules.. so that you know HOW to 'break' them!"

Yes.. 'Activation' clearly now needs to be totally & auto-bypassed, for the ease both of newcomers & older webOS supporters.

I also guess that a smooth 'easy-fix' package of some sort would allow webOS to remain viable, at least until LuneOS reaches maturity?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/20/2017 at 02:03 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    gazaud likes this.
    I believe that the doctors, as well as many other files in the support.palm.com site were hosted by a CDN. I forget which one. I think Akamai? (Looking up some older links, that appears so.) I can't speak to who is paying the bill, but I can ask around. Ultimately, one would want to ask the current copyright holders, LG, about possibly hosting the doctors somewhere (if they aren't already).
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Alan Morford made a guide on pivotCE back in 2013. It's intended for upgrades, but perhaps it could serve as the basis for explaining this project to users? The problem I see is that it is unclear what each script on the linked list does.
    How-to: Meta-Doctor – No Makefile editing | pivotCE
    Again, I think to avoid too much work load and 'mission creep', I think the included updates should be limited to restoring or upgrading the original functionality of webOS: Activation bypassed, Certificates / OSSL and sync to PIM services and email. Possibly YouTube fixes if these are still relevant.

No offence to Mutoidi above, but not everyone will want a particular set up. The idea of having a folder of apps and patches for one's ideal set up is good and there's no reason why we couldn't have a secondary project of listing recommended add ons or set ups, but it should be up to the individual user to select & install these.

With regard to dkirker's comment: It seems fairly clear that the doctors remain at the original location. I know nothing about IP numbers, but I think moving files to another server would change this. Possibly physically moving the actual server to another location and plugging it back in might preserve the IP address, but I suspect there is a geographical element or at least location on the LAN. It was my assumption that there is a box in the corner of an HP server room, but it could equally (likely) be an old Palm server and located at LGSVL and under their control. What had not occurred to me is that the files might be on a Content Delivery Network (CDN), so kind of 'in the cloud' and really forgotten about.

If LG are the current copyright owners, then there is a logic to asking them to allow us to take over the doctor hosting, however, I note that the OpenwebOS project site has been down for some weeks now. Trying to think like a lawyer again, I'd say that at least the earlier doctors will contain Palm branding - now owned by a rival. It would be great if LG set up a proper hosting for the old webOS doctors, but their activity on OpenwebOS suggests they have no interest. They might also decide to save a few dollars and any possible legal problems with TCL by turning off the server or CDN. I know it's negative, but sometimes asking a question causes someone to look at and care about something. Asking to formalise the doctor situation may result in them being permanently removed.

As an example, a recently released Telegram app for webOS. The developer was asked to share the code according to the open-source license. Concerned that this might infringe terms of the Blackberry app store, the developer has removed the app.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/20/2017 at 10:21 AM.
    bbito likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I think Akamai? (Looking up some older links, that appears so.) I can't speak to who is paying the bill, but I can ask around.
    This might well be the case. HP was (and is) using Akamai a lot.
    Perhaps it is forgotten out there (and HP still pays Akamai for hosting it) without knowing what this was good for.
    I don't think HP transferred these servers to LG - but eventually I could ask former folks at HP.
    As the palm brand was sold by HP to TCL the palm.com domain was demised from these servers. Servers just continued to run - and quite sure with a static IP address.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I think Akamai? (Looking up some older links, that appears so.) I can't speak to who is paying the bill, but I can ask around.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    This might well be the case. HP was (and is) using Akamai a lot.
    The SDK/PDKs and some other dev tools are on Akamai CDN: 23.4.17.24 cdn.downloads.palm.com # 23.0.0.0 - 23.15.255.255 = Akamai https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-...t?s=23.4.17.24

The webOS Doctors were not on a designated CDN subdomain (downloads.help.palm.com): 195.22.200.42 downloads.help.palm.com # 195.0.0.0 - 195.255.255.255 = RIPE Network Coordination Centre https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-...=195.22.200.42 - The IP was allocated to RIPE in Amsterdam, but I think these IP4v numbers change hands without an easy way to find the current users.
    No offence to Mutoidi above, but not everyone will want a particular set up. The idea of having a folder of apps and patches for one's ideal set up is good and there's no reason why we couldn't have a secondary project of listing recommended add ons or set ups, but it should be up to the individual user to select & install these.
    No offence taken!
    The notion of having a Folder of individually favoured Apps & Patches etc was what I was advocating.
    As also suggested however, there may be certain 'standard' tweaks now, that require to be baked in, for the ease of all concerned?

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    bbito likes this.
  11.    #31  
    I've tagged a release candidate for the first sub-project from the second post in this thread: WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor - 2017
    Here's the github release: https://github.com/bbito/meta-doctor/releases
    Mutoidi, Preemptive and baldric like this.
    Just to add: If Krack hack fix for webOS? is ever resolved, I'd say it's a 'no-brainer' addition to the meta-doctor.
    bbito and normsland like this.
  13.    #33  
    Just to add: If Krack hack fix for webOS? is ever resolved, I'd say it's a 'no-brainer' addition to the meta-doctor.
    Agreed! Along with openSSL and root certs updates for some semblance of security

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Increase the size of the var partition (though this would cut into the media partition)?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12