Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    31/08/2017: It appears the original issue has been fixed (very quickly!). We are now taking suggestions for updates and new content, though of course we would prefer to see people volunteering to do the work themselves.

If anyone is seeing blank pages or broken links on http://webos-internals.org please report them here. You may be able be able to find what you are looking for via the full page listing. Click 'Special pages' in the left menu, then 'all pages'.

This thread is a result of this: webOS User's Online Meet up

Novaldex, bbito and myself plan to investigate some of the errors with this wiki and fix them. If successful, we will look into adding more technical content.

Additional help from wiki experts or content writers is welcome.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/18/2017 at 12:04 AM.
    MartinH@webos likes this.
  2.    #2  
    First up, here are some pages on MediaWiki, which is the php software that runs the Wiki.
    https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
    https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ

From the version page: It seems the wiki is at version 1.29.0, released on 2017-07-13. The latest version is 1.29.1 (bugfix). If this isn't an error, I assume it's is an auto-update. According to the log page, the last thing that happened was in June 2016 - that was me trying to fix some broken pages.

Using other special pages, it seems there are a few missing pages and broken links, but the big problem seems to be orphaned pages: Orphaned pages - WebOS Internals

The major issue seems to be that pages are not displaying properly (no content) or that the links are faulty. The content is present and can be found via the special pages > all pages links: All pages - WebOS Internals

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manua...s_and_symptoms
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/30/2017 at 02:14 PM.
    Hi Preemptive, sorry it's been a bit difficult to do much over the past week.

What I do know however is that we've been doing a lot of infra work in the background. So the version of Mediawiki is correct, it was manually upgraded just a few weeks ago. There were also some nginx & php upgrades under the hood too.

The sites & infra underneath are in good shape, so I think we can simply focus on content. I'm trying to sort my wiki admin access, hopefully I'll have something sorted come the weekend.

Plus as of next week I'll have much more time as I finish work at this client on Friday! I'll be glad of the break & change of scene..
  4.    #4  
    You've upgraded the whole wiki - I don't see that you need to apologise!

Here's a dumb idea to get going:

This is a link that doesn't work (one that causes much consternation to new users):
    Code:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Webos_Doctor_Versions
    It brings up a blank page. Here is a link that does bring up the page (via the special pages section):
    Code:
    http://webos-internals.org/index.php?title=WebOS_Doctor_Versions
    This link does work:
    Code:
    http://webos-internals.org/index.php?title=Tutorials_webOS_Hello_World

So could it be as simple as searching the pages and replacing "wiki/" with "index.php?title=" ? (obviously the actual search term would be more precise)

Shoot me down in flames!
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/30/2017 at 06:09 PM.
  5.    #5  
    If it is the case that MediaWiki changed it's linking format a while back, I'm wondering if this orpaned the pages and if the blank page versions are being created by the wiki. I think a way to make a new page is to make a link and the wiki creates the page.

EDIT: Maybe not. Wikipedia has "/wiki/" type links and is version 1.3.0, so there are obviously different link types. One looks like a hard link, the other a php search query.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/30/2017 at 06:27 PM.
  6.    #6  
    MediaWiki has an IRC channel, so...
    [01:16] <Preemptive> The help pages said to just state the problem. I don't know much about wikis and am not the server admin, but am trying to fix up an old wiki. Here is an example of the problem: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    [01:16] <Preemptive> Here is the page as found via the special pages / all pages: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    [01:16] <Preemptive> The wiki was recently updated to 1.29.0, PHP: 7.1.7-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1 (fpm-fcgi), MySQL: 5.6.35-log. All version data is here: Version - WebOS Internals
    [01:16] <Preemptive> The fault predates the upgrade and is not fixed by it. It's possible that it has something to do with a server problem in 2014. If the server went down, could it have broken some links?
    [01:17] <Preemptive> It appears that /wiki/ style links don't work, but "index.php?title=" types do, so it seems to be hard links vs searches. Can this be solved by making all links into the latter type? Or is that a kludge? Is there some routine that could be run by the admin to re-index the pages? Thanks for any help.
    [01:17] <Preemptive> I can contact the admin if it is server type stuff that needs to be done
    [01:19] <MaxSem> Preemptive, you're looking at interaction of webserver rewrites and MW configuration here. do you have access to either of them?
    [01:20] <MaxSem> so right now the wiki is configured for ugly links (/index.php?title=...)
    [01:21] <MaxSem> where do the pretty links (/wiki/Title) come from?
    [01:21] <Preemptive> No, I think I just have editing priviledges, but I thought if there is a known fix, I can pass it on to the admin. I haven't found anything obvious in the help pages.
    [01:22] <Preemptive> MaxSem: I don't know - very ignorant here! ;-)
    [01:23] <MaxSem> the manual is here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL
    [01:23] <MaxSem> it sonds like your wiki used to be configured for pretty URLs but not anymore
    [01:25] <Preemptive> MaxSem: OK, that's a great start! I'll pass that on and see if we can set up for 'pretty' URLs! Thank you very much for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    This is a link that doesn't work (one that causes much consternation to new users):
    Code:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Webos_Doctor_Versions
    It brings up a blank page. Here is a link that does bring up the page (via the special pages section):
    Code:
    http://webos-internals.org/index.php?title=WebOS_Doctor_Versions
    This link does work:
    Code:
    http://webos-internals.org/index.php?title=Tutorials_webOS_Hello_World

So could it be as simple as searching the pages and replacing "wiki/" with "index.php?title=" ? (obviously the actual search term would be more precise)
    Aha! Now i've come across this exact issue elsewhere for one of our other Wikis & I reckon the fix is still fresh in my mind (plus I needed to apply it to yet another wiki we have).

Leave it with me, I believe I can restore things back to normal.

PS - I can't take credit for the Wiki upgrade work, i'll give that to the wider team with ka6sox & wmat at the top of the list.. (apologies to my other colleagues that I don't mention by name!)
    Mutoidi and Preemptive like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaldex View Post
    Aha! Now i've come across this exact issue elsewhere for one of our other Wikis & I reckon the fix is still fresh in my mind (plus I needed to apply it to yet another wiki we have).

Leave it with me, I believe I can restore things back to normal.
    I'd like to think it's now fixed, but as always I like a second opinion! The first link Preemptive has quoted above does appear to work for me, haven't tested any others yet.
    pcworld likes this.
  9.    #9  
    I had a quick 'click around' on 'pretty' '/wiki/' type links and it seems fine!

Great work! Thanks so much. Things are looking good for the next meeting progress reports!

I edited the first post to invite people to report any errors.

I notice there is still a long list of orphaned pages. I don't know why this is. It could be that they are outmoded or outdated or duplicates. I will have a closer look later.

If there are issues with page formatting, we can look at them here. I know the fixes I did in the past were limited and more functional than pretty.

Also, I guess we could get straight into additional content if anyone has thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 08/31/2017 at 08:17 AM.
    Welcome! Quick fixes are nice when they produce spectacular results like that..

I think the orphaned pages may be a result of the issues we had in the past. We were focused on bringing back as much as possible as quickly as possible & thus we weren't able to investigate minor page issues. We could use the web archive for help in directing where links used to be & restore them? Plus we can also get missing content from there too, although we may have to do some editing work to get the formatting correct again (not as simple as cut & paste from a wiki point of view)
    http://webos-internals.org/wiki/Special:ListUsers is not working for me ..

A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.[95d0d971a2dba998fa0d4c66] 2017-08-31 21:30:30: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError"
    Preemptive likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    http://webos-internals.org/wiki/Special:ListUsers is not working for me ..

A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.[95d0d971a2dba998fa0d4c66] 2017-08-31 21:30:30: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError"
    Special pages, being... er, special made me think that this was perhaps a special error.
    Help:User rights and groups - MediaWiki

Listing users is a function of being logged in I think, though if the person using it isn't a registered user or not logged in, I'd expect a more elegant refusal.

I tried to log in.
    Database error
    A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.[07cb7d766e0fe17a5db00edb] 2017-09-01 00:18:45: Fatal exception of type "Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError"
    So perhaps there is a problem with the user database. I imagine someone must have access as a result of the upgrade, but I have to agree, there is definitely some kind of fault here.
    Special pages, being... er, special made me think that this was perhaps a special error.
    Help:User rights and groups - MediaWiki

Listing users is a function of being logged in I think, though if the person using it isn't a registered user or not logged in, I'd expect a more elegant refusal.

I tried to log in.

So perhaps there is a problem with the user database. I imagine someone must have access as a result of the upgrade, but I have to agree, there is definitely some kind of fault here.
    I had the same issue on Ports wiki recently. That should be addressed!

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I had the same issue on Ports wiki recently. That should be addressed!
    Quite right, and you did flag it up to me earlier too. It's on my list, but i'm still looking into it. And I've just moved it that bit further up the list too.. ;-)
    Errors preventing logons on both Internals & Ports Wikis should now be fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaldex View Post
    Errors preventing logons on both Internals & Ports Wikis should now be fixed
    Yes, I confirm this now works for me: User list - WebOS Internals
    Thanks for fixing !!
    I wonder that I did not have a user account there. Well, if I find something to update then I will register for an account. I hope that will work.
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
    Yes, I confirm this now works for me: User list - WebOS Internals
    Thanks for fixing !!
    I wonder that I did not have a user account there. Well, if I find something to update then I will register for an account. I hope that will work.
    You're most welcome!

User account creation is actually disabled as it was being abused by bots. But if you need one then i'm sure we can create one for you!
  18.    #18  
    I can confirm a successful login.

I can see the user list. 973 of them. I wonder where they all are now and how many are still around?

Thanks for all the fixes!
    Yes, there have been many users/editors. Looks like almost all users did edit at least once. I did not see fake users in the list.
    I will let you know when I need a new user login.
    The home page (or somewhere else) it should state how to request a new login.
    Preemptive likes this.
    For the record prior to our meeting, plus being brief due to the open nature of the forum.

1. As part of our major upgrade tasks we'd changed the web server from apache to nginx & needed to convert some config that used to be contained in .htaccess files to nginx native format. This now enables short URLs
    2. Mediawiki had been upgraded but some of the database schema was out of sync. Again this was corrected & logins now possible again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast