Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It should be as easy as pointing to a new server address as long as you know how the HP/Palm OTA updates were structured.
    Well, yes, but that would be the hard way!

Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Curiosity: I would assume an OTA mechanism would require some kind of external message from an update server - probably encrypted to avoid unwanted interference (given that the mechanism has root access). Is this correct? And how are you impersonating / bypassing the HP servers or re-implementing the OTA mechanism?
    This is /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon. And read below

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I would think that is irrelevant if you know the on-device triggers, and he seems to have figured those out.
    Yes, spot on! I'll expand on this soon, maybe in a different thread to keep this one clean.

I had an awfully busy week, so no real progress on my 1.4.5 Pixi. What I'll do, hopefully this week-end, is implement the OTA-like update on 2.x/3.x devices so it can be alpha-tested (thus actively excluding 1.x, which will come later).
    I know you're having issues with the OTA update process on the Pixi, but in case nobody else has confirmed it, the OpenSSL update package did work on my Verizon Pixi+ running 1.4.5. I think I had to install it twice, but that isn't unique to this device.
    Did you remove the manually installed certs? Also, you may need to reboot in case any processes had the open SSL libraries open during install. If all that fails, reinstall.
    I actually didn't have any cents installed, it was freshly doctored. I seem to remember the phone rebooting after install on its own.

When it booted back up, I got the yellow triangle. So I used your handy cert grabber and all is well now.

I think I too will stick with cert grabber for now.....

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
  4.    #84  
    I know you're having issues with the OTA update process on the Pixi, but in case nobody else has confirmed it, the OpenSSL update package did work on my Verizon Pixi+ running 1.4.5. I think I had to install it twice, but that isn't unique to this device.
    There is (now) no question the "new" OpenSSL binaries work on all webOS versions, it's all about the installation process (which shall succeed on the first run, twice install is no good either).

And whatever the webOS version, the current installation/removal process is flawed, as there is a race issue that will leave most of the people in a very bad condition if it ever happens (the race is just between the deletion and the installation of each shared library file, I can elaborate if needed).

So unless someone comes with a way to perform an atomic "mv" on a bunch of files, OTA-like update is the only (safe by construction) way I can see.
    Preemptive likes this.
    mmm interesting problem.

Am I assuming right, saying that the OTA shuts down a whole bunch of services and then restarts them after the update ?
    OTA most likely reboots into an installer mode that runs before any other services start up.
    Many many thanks for the dev of this great app! Installed it on my Pre 3 and now it can successfully connect to my office's WiFi (SHA256). Of course I followed the recommendations about putting my Pre 3 in airplane mode. Just for everybody to know, the installation of the app is very fast, I thought it was going to take longer since I read it changes a lot of files (similar to when you install uberkernel or some large patch).
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thanks Thaibaud and the webos internals team. My Touchpad is now once again very usable for web browsing. Well browsing without asking to trust the ssl of every advertiser on the Web. Great work! Thanks ☺

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
    Many many thanks for the dev of this great app! Installed it on my Pre 3 and now it can successfully connect to my office's WiFi (SHA256). Of course I followed the recommendations about putting my Pre 3 in airplane mode. Just for everybody to know, the installation of the app is very fast, I thought it was going to take longer since I read it changes a lot of files (similar to when you install uberkernel or some large patch).
    Is the openssl updater still in Alpha test? Thx
    Sent via HP TouchPad using Forums
    It's just a label. It works fine. I've installed it on 4 webOS devices ranging from 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x. All went great.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    The page with instructions for enabling alpha feeds is redirecting so i can't read them. So without these instructions, i can't install the updater on my Tpad.

EDIT: i was easily able to manually add the two necessary alpha feeds (ipkg.preware.net/alpha/apps/all and ipkg.preware.net/alpha/apps/armv7 *no "http://"*) that i saw listed in Preware on my phone which already had them active. I named them alpha1 and 2 then cycled Preware. App was then available and installed successfully.

Should these steps be added to this thread in the first post to help simplify installations?
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 11/20/2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    The link in the first post of this thread is the correct one (though the mobile version of the page does not seem to work right). http://en.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

It is also possible to browse the feeds on your PC browser and download the ipk. That is how I installed it initially.
    I installed, following the procedure, the icon openssl update but I still have the yellow triangle ... what I did wrong?
    You might need frantid's root certificate bundle...?

I think you might have to delete manually downloaded certificates first, but check the thread:
    root cert updater app
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    It works ok but I must also eliminate the two certificates "Google Internet Authority G2" and "geo trust global CA" ??????? I did not.
    Those have never been needed anyway.
    I'm not able to uninstall Open-SSL updater on my Pre 2. I installed via preware and when I remove in preware, it reboots, but still appears to be installed in preware.

When I try to uninstall command in nova term, I get:

Code:
    palm-install -r org.webosinternals.openssl-updater
    /bin/sh: palm-install: not found
    Finally, when I try uninstalling in WOSQI, I get the attached error message.

I'm trying to uninstall, in order to reinstall to see if I can get rid of the constant trust certificate messages while browsing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I tried to uninstall on device

Tapping the icon while holding the white button

After restart, icon is still there

Tried to uninstall from Preware

Sane story, but while doing so, preware should a message that the original openssl was restored

This is true, I can no longer receive send emails

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    So I have taken the IPK from my computer and was able to install it with Preware.

So email is back.

This was on a Pre3 running 224

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    That is good news you got email working again :-)

Where did you get the ipk for openssl-updater? I only know of installation by preware via alpha feed. Also, how did you install the ipk using preware? I would think this would be done via WOSQI.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast