Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
  1.    #61  
    Just a quick update about a safer installation process.

I found the trigger and enough configuration elements for the system update mechanism used by the former Palm/HP OTA upgrades.

The only (short-term) issue is the emulator was not setup well enough to perform such an update (it is a single partition while the devices have different partitions -- boot, root, var, ... -- and at least one script will need to be fixed). I'll probably use my resurrected Pixi to confirm the feasibility then try to be back on the emulator...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post

I found the trigger and enough configuration elements for the system update mechanism used by the former Palm/HP OTA upgrades.

The only (short-term) issue is the emulator was not setup well enough to perform such an update (it is a single partition while the devices have different partitions -- boot, root, var, ... -- and at least one script will need to be fixed). I'll probably use my resurrected Pixi to confirm the feasibility then try to be back on the emulator...
    I have a spare Pre 2, Pre 3, Veer and TP laying around that I'm OK with to tamper with
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    in light of this great development...some background (for those interested): As sites move to SHA2 encryption, millions face HTTPS lock-out | ZDNet
    palmpre06062009 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post

Wow! So that code could have other uses..?
    You guys don't know how excited I am!! :P
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    in light of this great development...some background (for those interested): As sites move to SHA2 encryption, millions face HTTPS lock-out | ZDNet
    Quite interesting! It will be rough, but it is needed...
    Did you know:

7.    #67  
    Well, I guess I kind of succeeded in "playing god with the system" on a spare 2.2.4 Pre2: just got my very first (dummy) IPK installed in a simulated OTA-update fashion.

That's for the good news (2.x/3.x devices). Not-so-good news is 1.x devices do not seem to have the same OTA update mechanism, so I'll have to spend some more time investigating it...
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/26/2015 at 07:33 PM.
  8.    #68  
    Actually the 1.x devices look like they have the same OTA configuration files and trigger mechanism compared to 2.x/3.x devices, so that's good.

However, I just repeatedly end up borking my 1.4.5 Pixi right after I trigger the OTA-like update mechanism (similar symptoms to what diomark reported a long long time ago in thread "OOPS - bricked by running /usr/bin/PmUpdater", although I found the right and less rude trigger!). Not cool!
    Still investigating, takes time to doctor the Pixi after each failure... (the emulator is of no use here, as far as I could see -- misses all the boot, var, log, update... partitions the OTA updater relies on).
    Preemptive likes this.
    Curiosity: I would assume an OTA mechanism would require some kind of external message from an update server - probably encrypted to avoid unwanted interference (given that the mechanism has root access). Is this correct? And how are you impersonating / bypassing the HP servers or re-implementing the OTA mechanism?
    Curiosity: I would assume an OTA mechanism would require some kind of external message from an update server - probably encrypted to avoid unwanted interference (given that the mechanism has root access). Is this correct? And how are you impersonating / bypassing the HP servers or re-implementing the OTA mechanism?
    It should be as easy as pointing to a new server address as long as you know how the HP/Palm OTA updates were structured.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    I would think that is irrelevant if you know the on-device triggers, and he seems to have figured those out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I would think that is irrelevant if you know the on-device triggers, and he seems to have figured those out.
    Nothing is irrelevant to the ignorant!

My dumb questions are the only way I learn anything.
    QUICK QUESTION:

after installing the root cert app and this OpenSSL updater, i'm ready to add a gmail account to this device (which has none existing).

Do i choose account type = Google, or Email and then set up manually as IMAP?

thanks!
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
  14.    #74  
    Email & IMAP (tested OK on all devices), because the Google profile cannot work work anymore as the API have changed (if I got it right).
    Email & IMAP (tested OK on all devices), because the Google profile cannot work work anymore as the API have changed (if I got it right).
    I think it works when you use FrantId's patch for the API. Damn we really need a proper OTA update mechanism and put all this stuff in an update package!

Mutoidi, TJs11thPre and Shuswap like this.
    Slightly OT: I wonder if there is a way to write a manifest that Preware could read and install? Either that or a 'blank' app with dependencies that include all the useful packages... I think I've probably raised these ideas on the thread before...
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think it works when you use FrantId's patch for the API. Damn we really need a proper OTA update mechanism and put all this stuff in an update package!

Correct, except for 1.x, which only supports generic IMAP email since it can't be patched (perhaps not impossible, but overly difficult).
    There's some stuff in the webOS system that involves logging into a Jabber/XMPP server in Palm's Cloud as well as handling a specially formatted SMS. I imagine that is what vectors are available for the trigger.
    Did you know:

Preemptive likes this.
    I tried installing this on my Pre+ with 2.1.2 and it seemed to work, however I am still getting the security error.
    Should I uninstall and reinstall to see if that irons things out??
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    I tried installing this on my Pre+ with 2.1.2 and it seemed to work, however I am still getting the security error.
    Should I uninstall and reinstall to see if that irons things out??
    Did you remove the manually installed certs? Also, you may need to reboot in case any processes had the open SSL libraries open during install. If all that fails, reinstall.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast