Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
    If it's a Qualcomm crash then it'll be hard to mimic. It'll depend on processes running, software installed, patches...
    The OTA way sounds really good, if we could make such thing will be awesome. Take my money for that, please !!
    The airplane mode suggestion will be an easy way to avoid the crash, I think (IMHO) that is an easy and clean way to go. In any case here is what I did to restore the phone;

1.- After the crash the phone only shows the HP logo with no blinking at all.
    2.- Connect it to the pc and launch QuickInstall
    3.- In QuickInstall launch the commandline app (tools->linux commandline). If you are a linux guy you could access directly with novacom drivers
    4.- Go to /usr/lib and take a look to libssl.so.0.9.8 and libcrypto.so.0.9.8. Both must have more than 0 bytes.
    cd /usr/lib
    ls -l *ssl*
    ls -l *crypto*
    5.- If they are 0 bytes then you must copy the installation files to the destination (/usr/lib) and restart the phone:
    cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/application/org.webosinternal.openssl-updater/install/usr/lib
    cp libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib
    cp libcrypto.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib
    restart
    6.- You're done. When the phone reboots you can enjoy your update

DISCLAIMER: I try to install the package from the terminal so the path to the libs could be wrong but I believe that is the correct. The other possible path is /usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.openssl-updater/install/usr/lib but I think that the cryptofs one is the correct.
  2.    #42  
    The path "/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/application/org.webosinternal.openssl-updater/install/usr/lib" is the correct one (I suspect the other you mentioned is the outcome of ipkg launch manually with no/invalid "-o" option, the builtin application installer does not install anymore in "/usr/palm/applications" since 1.3.5).

And yes, these are the steps to fix your issue (what the installation script does, actually, with a quite a few more checks around).
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/23/2015 at 10:40 AM.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I noticed the labels in github have 1.4.5 in them - is this patch compatible with 1.4.5? I guess that won't help the Google API situation though, even if it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjoe41 View Post
    I'm ready to alpha test on a pixi plus of mine
    Guys,

Out of curiosity (almost!), I gave OpenSSL-Updater 0.9.8-6 a try on the 1.4.5 emulator and came to the following conclusion after a few tests:
    • OpenSSL-Updater 0.9.8-6 as available in the alpha feed is just good enough to regain SHA-256 certificates digest capability (GMAIL and my own ISP, both were failing with the native openssl 0.9.8j)
    • no specific patch is required to operate Exchange Active Sync (EAS Outlook mail servers) under webOS 1.x, even the standard openssl-0.9.8j release recompiled without a single patch is still good to go (while the standard openssl-0.9.8k release recompiled for webOS 2.x/3.x would not let EAS go as-is)

So you may want to (try) alpha-test(ing) OpenSSL-Updater 0.9.8-6 on your Pre/Pixi device, keeping in mind the murphy/"bad mojo" thing is still lying around until fixed...
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/25/2015 at 10:12 AM.
    bbjoe41 likes this.
    I downloaded the ipk for my Pixi. Installed with preware and internalz pro. Both gave errors during install. I'm guess it's because the ipk was built for armv7. The log doesn't really help. How did you get it to install on the emulator?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Last edited by Alan Morford; 10/25/2015 at 02:31 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
    Guys,

Out of curiosity (almost!), I gave OpenSSL-Updater 0.9.8-6 a try on the 1.4.5 emulator and came to the following conclusion after a few tests:
    • OpenSSL-Updater 0.9.8-6 as available in the alpha feed is just good enough to regain SHA-256 certificates digest capability (GMAIL and my own ISP, both were failing with the native openssl 0.9.8j)
    • no specific patch is required to operate Exchange Active Sync (EAS Outlook mail servers) under webOS 1.x, even the standard openssl-0.9.8j release recompiled without a single patch is still good to go (while the standard openssl-0.9.8k release recompiled for webOS 2.x/3.x would not let EAS go as-is)

So you may want to (try) alpha-test(ing) OpenSSL-Updater 0.9.8-6 on your Pre/Pixi device, keeping in mind the murphy/"bad mojo" thing is still lying around until fixed...
    I would like to try it however it doesn't show in preware on my pixi. Alpha feeds are enabled. Am I missing something?
    the emulator is x86 compiled. Guess there's a need for an arm v6 build
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    Yes please!
    Follow me on Twitter
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I downloaded the ipk for my Pixi. Installed with preware and internalz pro. Both gave errors during install. I'm guess it's because the ipk was built for armv7. The log doesn't really help. How did you get it to install on the emulator?

I did the last tests installing with Preware from the alpha feed. Did you?

Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    I did the job by the book: OpenSSL-Updater 0.9.8-6 is available in all flavors (armv7, armv6 & i686) in Preware's alpha feed to cover all devices, there's should be no room for failure when following the rules for alpha testing and making the installation through the alpha feed in Preware.
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/25/2015 at 03:40 PM.
    That's so weird. I have the alpha apps feed enabled but can't see it. Anyway, I browsed to the ipk in the browser and finally got it installed. Installed fine. Can't readd my google account though. Dangit. I never should have removed it. I knew this wouldn't let me readd it but I'm glad it installed ok. Thanks for the help.

Follow me on Twitter
  10.    #50  
    Yes, weird indeed! I'll do a test on a Pre and a Pixi as soon as I have enough time (I need to "dig them from the grave" first, doctor them and bypass activation before testing...).

You did mention "Google account": please keep in mind OpenSSL-Updater will only fix the certificate issue but not the API issue. What I did (successfully) test is my GMAIL account as a basic mail account (IMAP/SMTP + SSL). Is this what you did? Can you test it if not?
    Unfortunately, 1.x wasn't setup that way. By virtue of typing in a gmail address to setup the account, webOS 1.x loads some preconfigured settings. Manually entering server settings yields the same results. 1.x will likely need a patch for latest API if my knowledge serves me on the issue.

Follow me on Twitter
  12.    #52  
    Remember I tested the GMAIL mail account on 1.x (emulator), you have to go "Manual Setup" in the upper left menu to get full control over the mail parameters...
    Can you give it a try?
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjoe41 View Post
    I would like to try it however it doesn't show in preware on my pixi. Alpha feeds are enabled. Am I missing something?
    No, you're not: OpenSSL-Updater does not show up in the alpha-apps Preware feed for the Pixi (just tested and confirmed), most probably because I did set a "MinWebOSVersion" of "2.0.0" in the app and the feed ... to prevent installation on 1.x devices until validated!

The same might apply to Pre devices too (not tested).

What's weird, though, as Preware should have been honoring "MinWebOSVersion" on the 1.x emulator as well, but obviously does not. I'll have a look into it (I suspect the word "SDK" by the end of PRODUCT_VERSION_STRING in the file /etc/palm-build-info is the culprit).

Next release will allow 1.x devices to enter the alpha program, stay tuned.
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/26/2015 at 03:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    It seems there could an issue with the Pixi (armv6 architecture?), I need to investigate this further. Stay tuned.
    okay I just installed openssl updater. Via install package on preware & pasting the url & gmail is working flawlessly on my pixi plus webos 1.4.5.1 Thanks!
    Remember I tested the GMAIL mail account on 1.x (emulator), you have to go "Manual Setup" in the upper left menu to get full control over the mail parameters...
    Can you give it a try?
    Click to view quoted image
    Yes I've done this. Unable to validate incoming mail server settings.

What incoming and outgoing settings did you use?

Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Yes I've done this. Unable to validate incoming mail server settings.

What incoming and outgoing settings did you use?

use imap.gmail.com& smtp.gmail.com select ssl
    this worked for me
    I figured it out. I was using it as WiFi only so it didn't set the time. I manually corrected the date and time and was able to successfully add my gmail account. This is great. I'll likely put this together on pivotCE tomorrow. Thanks for this.

Follow me on Twitter
    Grabber5.0 and dkirker like this.
    I was also able to manually add my Gmail account on a 1.4.5 Pre after installing the openssl updater package. Do you want me to hold off testing the armv6 package on a Pixi for now?
  19.    #59  
    No, don't, I guess you know the way!
    dkirker likes this.
  20.    #60  
    I figured it out. I was using it as WiFi only so it didn't set the time. I manually corrected the date and time and was able to successfully add my gmail account. This is great. I'll likely put this together on pivotCE tomorrow. Thanks for this.

Ahem, I'd like to remind you OpenSSL-Updater is alpha for a reason!!!!

And it shall stay in this state until that murphy/"bad mojo" thing is sorted out. By publishing in pivotCE now, you may attract a lot of people willing to try it (by all means beyond the alpha testing rules), but not ready for alpha testing of any kind. Which also raises the question of field support in case that pending issue happens again. And again...

I'm currently working on a safer installation method (the system update mechanism used in OTA upgrades, in progress) and would like to alpha test it in the "best conditions'...

In a nutshell: please would you consider postponing, for now? I would appreciate it very much!

EDIT: OK, discussed this further with Alan. He has a valid point ("[...]This is a pretty big story for webOS users. Gmail functionality is key to most people. [...]") and he offered to "run the story with an upfront disclaimer [about the current alpha status]". Let's go for it!
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/26/2015 at 11:03 AM.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast