Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes
    Installed on my GSM Pre3 and now it won't boot... Freezed with the hp logo on screen.
    I've removed battery for a while and I'm trying again... (cold sweat by the neck...)

-- EDIT
    It's not booting but I can access the comandline through WOQI.

In dmesg I see a lot of messages like that:

minicore_launch: minicore attached!
    minicore_launch: CRASH! PMNetConfigMana (19982) received 7. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.
    minicore_launch: CRASH! PmWsfDaemon (19996) received 7. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.
    minicore_launch: CRASH! LunaDownloadMgr (20014) received 7. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.
    minicore_launch: CRASH! com.palm.webosi received(12977) received 7. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.
    I'll try to remove the openssl updater... If you need anything just tell me.

--- EDIT (again)

I've seen that the package wasn't installed, when i've installed (or believe that) the package trhough preware the Pre has rebooted "too fast to be good". Then it won't boot but I can access the terminal thorugh WOQI. There I've see that package wasn't installed so I downloaded it, transfered it to the pre and then I tryed to install with ipkg. The installation said:

Begin installation of org.webosinternals.openssl-updater
    Installing org.webosinternals.openssl-updater (0.9.8-6) to root...
    Configuring org.webosinternals.openssl-updater
    Verifying no existing modifications to target files ...
    cat: can't open '/md5sums': No such file or directory
    Verification failed on /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
    Verification failed on /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
    Verification failed on /usr/bin/openssl
    Device OpenSSL is not in factory condition, installing replacement anyway...
    Creating backup of existing OpenSSL files ...
    Verifying backup of existing OpenSSL files ...
    Verifying ability to write to target directories ...
    Verifying ability to write to target files ...
    Installing replacement OpenSSL files ...
    Replacement OpenSSL successfully installed, rebooting in ~10 seconds
    root@webos-device:/media/internal#
    root@webos-device:/media/internal#
    Tue Oct 20 11:29:54 2015
    novacomd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server
    but it isn't booting... again is stucked on the hp logo screen but the only error that shows dmesg is:

minicore_launch: CRASH! PmWsfDaemon (25513) received 7. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.

------ EDIT

PmWsfDaemon complains about lib libPmWsfTestBlade.so not found on /usr/lib. And that's true, the library is not in /usr/lib...
    I'm trying to find it...

---------EDIT
    At /usr/lib there's a libssl.so.0.9.8 with 0 bytes of size... that's not normal, isn't it?
    Last edited by juanma_1980; 10/20/2015 at 05:12 AM.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by juanma_1980 View Post
    Installed on my GSM Pre3 and now it won't boot... Freezed with the hp logo on screen.
    I've removed battery for a while and I'm trying again... (cold sweat by the neck...)

-- EDIT
    It's not booting but I can access the comandline through WOQI.

In dmesg I see a lot of messages like that:

I'll try to remove the openssl updater... If you need anything just tell me.

--- EDIT (again)

I've seen that the package wasn't installed, when i've installed (or believe that) the package trhough preware the Pre has rebooted "too fast to be good". Then it won't boot but I can access the terminal thorugh WOQI. There I've see that package wasn't installed so I downloaded it, transfered it to the pre and then I tryed to install with ipkg. The installation said:

but it isn't booting... again is stucked on the hp logo screen but the only error that shows dmesg is:

minicore_launch: CRASH! PmWsfDaemon (25513) received 7. Waiting up to 60s for minicore to attach.

------ EDIT

PmWsfDaemon complains about lib libPmWsfTestBlade.so not found on /usr/lib. And that's true, the library is not in /usr/lib...
    I'm trying to find it...

---------EDIT
    At /usr/lib there's a libssl.so.0.9.8 with 0 bytes of size... that's not normal, isn't it?
    OK, don't panic (this happened to me too), the original OpenSSL files got into the backup (as far as I can see) so reverting can be done (either manually or with the prerm script). I'm stuck in a meeting for the rest of the day, but I'll be back today (late).

I need you to send me 2 files retrieved from your Pre:
    • /usr/bin/openssl
    • /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.openssl-updater/backup.tar.gz

A last resort option is to manually reinstall OpenSSL binaries from the webos doctor image, but we're not there
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/20/2015 at 07:03 AM.
    I've removed the updater but phone still doesn't boot.
    Relax, I'm not afraid. I know what "alpha" means and I'm sure my phone will boot or be doctored so no problem, man. thxs

--------------- EDIT

OOOOOOOkay, it's booting!!!!

For a unknown reason the libopenssl and libcryptofs files in /usr/lib were 0 bytes size. Install/uninstall the updater made no difference at all. Finally i've copied both files from /usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.openssl-updater/install/usr/lib to /usr/lib, rebooted and finally my Pre returned to live and the best of all is that all is working.
    Gmail, exchange account, msn... WOW!!
    Last edited by juanma_1980; 10/20/2015 at 06:20 AM.
  4.    #24  
    I've removed the updater but phone still doesn't boot.
    Relax, I'm not afraid. I know what "alpha" means and I'm sure my phone will boot or be doctored so no problem, man. thxs

--------------- EDIT

OOOOOOOkay, it's booting!!!!

For a unknown reason the libopenssl and libcryptofs files in /usr/lib were 0 bytes size. Install/uninstall the updater made no difference at all. Finally i've copied both files from /usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.openssl-updater/install/usr/lib to /usr/lib, rebooted and finally my Pre returned to live and the best of all is that all is working.
    Gmail, exchange account, msn... WOW!!
    Good news (you're back on your feet) and "bad news" (installation failed, but not enough information for now)!

What's weird is the /usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.openssl-updater installation directory, while /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.openssl-updater is expected (the prefix is not controlled by the app but by the builtin webos installer. I suspect the way you manually launched ipkg is responsible for this...).

I'll try to review what you did to see if that can benefit the installation scripts.
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/20/2015 at 07:39 AM.
    If I can help you in anyway only say it.
    Your work is awesome.

If it helps here is my installation process:
    - Created the dirs to enable alpha feeds
    - Uninstalled preware
    - Installed preware 1.9.13 (last version is .14, isn't it?)
    - Install updater.

At this point preware began the installation and my Pre suddenly rebooted (but no "the right way", it rebooted as if it were reseted: the screen going to black, then phone shutdown and restart). Since then the phone was almost bricked but it could be accesed through WOQI. Install/uninstall from WOQI was impossible but I could connect to a terminal and install or uninstall packages at the command line.

As I said if you need anything else I'm here to help.
  6.    #26  
    First let me apologize if my previous post sounded kind of rude, it was not meant to be that way. And thank you, you're already helping with the information you provided. :-)

You obviously did things right with the "first" install, so I shall revisit the installation script (it is alpha too!). Please keep in mind bridges were probably burned on your device (installation broken), so you cannot safely uninstall the app.

Let me think about it. At some point I'll ask you to try another install to reproduce the issue and hopefully understand what went wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
    First let me apologize if my previous post sounded kind of rude, it was not meant to be that way.
    Hahaha, my english is really very bad. In fact it's so bad that I didn't find anything rude on your message

Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
    You obviously did things right with the "first" install, so I shall revisit the installation script (it is alpha too!). Please keep in mind bridges were probably burned on your device (installation broken), so you cannot safely uninstall the app.

Let me think about it. At some point I'll ask you to try another install to reproduce the issue and hopefully understand what went wrong.
    This night I'll post all patches and software installed on my phone. There's no problem about uninstall, If i need it I can extract libssl and libcrypto from a doctor or even doctor my phone.

And if you need that I made some try there's no problem, I'm subscribed to this post so I'll see news.

Thxs!
    I'm happy to post here that this worked on my Sprint Franken Pre 2 and TouchPad.
    Preware installation FTW.
    Thank you for your time and effort, and also to Rod.
    Last edited by sethron; 10/21/2015 at 11:54 PM.
    and my Pre suddenly rebooted (but no "the right way", it rebooted as if it were reseted: the screen going to black, then phone shutdown and restart).
    AH HA!

This is basically the Qualcomm chip on the Pre3 crashing. It causes the whole system to go down. There are some discussions about it elsewhere. It is the only real complaint I had about the Pre3 (and Qualcomm in general).

What probably happened was that the system crashed just as it was copying the new library files over. The result is that it crashes at boot because the needed libraries do not exist... :/

There kind of isn't a way to protect against this. (Unless you write something into the boot sequence to validate that the libraries exist and copy in backups if they don't.)
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    AH HA!

This is basically the Qualcomm chip on the Pre3 crashing. It causes the whole system to go down. There are some discussions about it elsewhere. It is the only real complaint I had about the Pre3 (and Qualcomm in general).

What probably happened was that the system crashed just as it was copying the new library files over. The result is that it crashes at boot because the needed libraries do not exist... :/

There kind of isn't a way to protect against this. (Unless you write something into the boot sequence to validate that the libraries exist and copy in backups if they don't.)
    Nice shot! I got that behavior as well, although not during installation: when I first started to replace the OpenSSL libraries, the device (emulator) would quickly crash afterwards when playing with the mail application. Hence the reboot operation + 10 seconds pause added at the end of the installation script...

Yes, 0 byte files left because not synced before the crash.

I agree it is most certainly not possible to protect against this the way the installation process is being performed at the moment. Guess it's time to dive a little further in the boot process to find a (clean) way to replace the OpenSSL libraries (like OTA updates did). Any advice welcome!
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/22/2015 at 02:20 AM.
    well.... you could "schedule" the operation after the reboot, just after the partitions are added, but before any service gets started

I mean : prior to reboot, backup the original openssl, copy the new one where it should but with a .new or whatever added. Then schedule a "delete old, rename new" after the reboot when the system is not yet up.

Basically what windows does with the patches
  12.    #32  
    This has always been the big picture, but we're talking "playing god with the system" now and not installing an application anymore. That means failure is likely to be the rule rather than the exception...

What would help is either someone with a detailed solution (validated would be a plus) or enough hints on the webOS OTA update process itself to speed up and secure an implementation. Other than that is kind of useless.

Let's do that part in a PM or GitHub pull-request mode so this thread stays clean.
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/22/2015 at 05:32 AM.
    Stupid question probably, but why not 'install' (or copy over) the libraries prior to installation? Maybe with WOSQI, perhaps shutting down any processes that rely on them first. Also do the backup / rename stuff with the original files. Then on installation, OpenSSL would find them already there - no zero byte files.

I don't program and this idea seems so obvious, that there must be a reason why it wouldn't work, so I'm asking out of curiosity. If it DID work, it might make a more complex process, but a safer one and the benefits would be significant for this one-time effort by the user.
  14.    #34  
    Long story short: the installation script is a replica of the UberKernel installation script, if that rings a bell!

And yet something most probably went wrong once (juanma_1980) with no easy retracing option to understand what happened. My job is now to reproduce this issue "at will" (controllability & observability) so any solution we come with works 100% in the same conditions (reliability), and that's just tougher than what was done so far. No way out of alpha without this...
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/22/2015 at 07:28 AM.
    no, that's definitely hard to reproduce.

On my pre3, the qualcomm crashed a few times, and in every single case I think it was caused by the sum of applications launched day after day, until one added the last drop.
    With this I mean that my feeling is that various registries get slightly affected when coupled to never rebooting the device ever (especially) and with the wrong random combo, one of those overflows , goes negative, and kaboom.

In this specific case it could even be that by some bad mojo, the system tried a pull (email) just at the worst possible time. Murphy, you know.
    What about having the script to turn on airplane mode just before swapping and such, and turning it back off just before issuing the reboot command ?
    Preemptive likes this.
  16.    #36  
    For those who might be wondering how much the system depends on OpenSSL, here is a quick list of the webOS 2.2.4 system binaries dynamically linked against OpenSSL shared libraries:
    Code:
    $ for file in `find /bin /sbin /lib /usr/bin /usr/lib /usr/sbin -type f -perm +111`; do ldd $file | awk '{ print "'"$file"' " $1 }'; done | egrep 'libcrypto.so|libssl.so' | awk '{ print $1}' | sort -u
    /usr/bin/BrowserServer
    /usr/bin/DownloadUpdate
    /usr/bin/LunaDownloadMgr
    /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    /usr/bin/OmaDm
    /usr/bin/PmCertificateMgrService
    /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    /usr/bin/PmVpnDaemon
    /usr/bin/PmWiFiService
    /usr/bin/activitymanager
    /usr/bin/com.palm.sfrvvm
    /usr/bin/curl
    /usr/bin/imsfrtransport
    /usr/bin/imyahootransport
    /usr/bin/jailer
    /usr/bin/keymanager
    /usr/bin/mms-service
    /usr/bin/mojolocation
    /usr/bin/mojomail-eas
    /usr/bin/mojomail-imap
    /usr/bin/mojomail-pop
    /usr/bin/mojomail-smtp
    /usr/bin/mountcrypt
    /usr/bin/ondevicedemod
    /usr/bin/pubsubservice
    /usr/bin/sfrwisprd
    /usr/bin/skypem
    /usr/bin/skypevalidator
    /usr/bin/yahoo-service
    /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/BrowserAdapter.so
    /usr/lib/BrowserPlugins/RemoteAdapter.so
    /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/FlashMiniPlugin.so
    /usr/lib/BrowserServerPlugins/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstrtsp.so
    /usr/lib/libFlashGraphics.so
    /usr/lib/libPmCertificateMgr.so
    /usr/lib/libPmWsfWanBlade.so
    /usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so
    /usr/lib/libWebKitLuna.so
    /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.2.0
    /usr/lib/libemail-common.so
    /usr/lib/libglibcurl.so
    /usr/lib/libgloox.so.8.0.0
    /usr/lib/libgstrtsp-0.10.so.0.20.0
    /usr/lib/libmasflib.so
    /usr/lib/libpalmsocket.so
    /usr/lib/libpdl.so
    /usr/lib/vpn/agents/ciscoanyconnect/bin/vpnagentd
    /usr/lib/vpn/agents/ciscoanyconnect/libVpnAcAgent.so
    /usr/lib/vpn/agents/ciscoanyconnect/plugins/libPmVpnAcOal.so
    /usr/sbin/hostapd
    /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant
    So many ways to get hit by Murphy or bad mojo, you name it!

Alternatively, here is a list of the running processes on my 2.2.4 Pre2 depending on OpenSSL shared libraries (your mileage may vary):
    Code:
    $ for proc in /proc/[0-9]*; do file=`awk '{print $1}' $proc/cmdline | head -1`; awk '{ print "'"$file"' " $0 }' $proc/maps | egrep '/usr/lib/libcrypto.so|/usr/lib/libssl.so' | awk '{print $1}' | sort -u; done
    /usr/bin/PmNetConfigManager
    /usr/bin/LunaDownloadMgr
    /usr/bin/keymanager
    /var/usr/sbin/com.palm.org.webosinternals.linphone.service
    /usr/bin/PmWiFiService
    /usr/bin/PmWsfDaemon
    node
    /usr/bin/activitymanager
    PmWsfDaemon
    /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    /usr/bin/pubsubservice
    /usr/bin/LunaSysMgr
    com.palm.service.accounts.jsjsjs
    /$usr$/$sbin$/$wpa_supplicant$
    /$usr$/$bin$/$BrowserServer$
    Last edited by Thibaud; 10/22/2015 at 09:38 AM.
    When applying large patches, I find it is better to tell the user to put the device in airplane mode and to put it on the touchstone or connect it to a powered usb cable (computer or charger). That way the files won't get accessed or the device won't go into standby. I know it shouldn't go into standby during an install, but that's not guaranteed.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Well, this crash isn't related to webOS at all, I believe. So, you'll have a hard time "scheduling" around it. That said, I believe it is related to a radio event in the GSM modem. (There is some discussion in the Pre3 forum if you want more.) So, airplane mode will probably be a good suggestion.

That said, I like the idea of tying into OTA updates. I'm kinda getting antsy to implement a system that mimiced the old Palm Cloud Services, mostly for data backup. Tying in the OTA mechanism would be cool, too. I might poke around a little.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I installed this a few days ago on my pre3 and it has greatly enhanced the use of the pre3. Not only Do I no longer have any trouble with gmail, but the browser can connect to encrypted sites without constantly asking me if i want to accept the certificates. It's very nice. Thank you for your great work.
    dkirker likes this.
    So if i read the latest comments on crashing while install it could be a good solution, before better install routines are found, to do the following:

1. reboot whole device to have clean start
    2. get into airplane mode after restart
    3. put it on touchstone
    4. start installation of openssl
    5. And hope qualcomm bad mojo doesn't kick in

Doesn't sound too much of an effort for such a heavy system altering update.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast