Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By masterhit
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  1.    #1  
    I was shocked this week by HP's advertisement on twitter, wanting me to download "the app for printing on mobile devices" --- well not for their own OS, <<edited by moderator>>
    So I dug out my webos phone and tried to get CUPS working, just to show it to the bunch of Mobile Commerce Idiots at HP.

After just 1/2 h of work I got CUPS up and configured via optware. I had to start it manually, but Its printing

Here's my blogentry netzherpes - lassen sie mich arzt, ich bin durch
    and here is the youtube video I did, showing how to print: [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1n6chEKE0[/YT]

have a nice day.

-----------------------
    <<link removed per site rules>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/08/2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: language violation / link to personal blog removed
    Check out Native webOS Printing from a Phone...

without CUPS...

Native Printing from webOS Phones...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 11/07/2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
    I was shocked this week by HP's advertisement on twitter, wanting me to download "the app for printing on mobile devices" --- well not for their own OS, just for the other sh*t.
    So I dug out my webos phone and tried to get CUPS working, just to show it to the bunch of Mobile Commerce Idiots at HP.

After just 1/2 h of work I got CUPS up and configured via optware. I had to start it manually, but Its printing

Here's my blogentry netzherpes - lassen sie mich arzt, ich bin durch
    Code:
    and here is how i did it: in a terminal
    1. install cups, cups-pdf, cups-locale-de and lynx using optware (i suppost you know how to use ipkg-opt )
    2. start cups (somewhere in /optware/sbin )
    2 1/2. give root a password
    3. start lynx and open the CUPS page (localhost:631) update: later I tried 'http://localhost:631' in the normal browser... It's working also
    4. install your printer
    5. print with 'lp datei.jpg -o fitplot' or whatever you want to be your options

this is it. bam!

thanks hp for not being able to do it.

To be fair: HP managed to get printing work from their webos touchpads, but only on a few special pcl6 hp printers... with my command line I am albe to print with _all_ printers
    Now can someone put that into an app for an easy install and to be able to choose files that one wants to get printed?

As the printerconfig can be done in h ttp://localhost:631 that does not really need an appfrontend.
    here is a quick interface discripting (in german) CUPS Weboberfläche Wiki ubuntuusers.de

btw. HP already uses CUPS for it's own HP Linux imaging and printing : When I go to login to the CUPS web interface (http://localhost:631) it asks for my root password--and my root password doesn't give me access | HPLIP Knowledge Base ebven with GUI: HP Linux Imaging and Printing based on QT

damn you HP
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Check out Native webOS Printing from a Phone...

without CUPS...

http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ml#post3406497
    Just seen this. Also well done!
    masterhit
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Now can someone put that into an app for an easy install and to be able to choose files that one wants to get printed?

damn you HP
    I'm just a fiddler, playing aroung with the given tools, not a programmer. But it should be fairly easy to write an app with a file selector executing the program
    lp %1 -o fitplot

I wrote in my notes that localhost:631 works in the webos browser... it did, but i wasn't able to log in as root to configure anything, despite i've been asked for the password, etc. So my advice if this won't work for you either: Use lynx (a textbrowser) in a ssh shell on your phone. You might need the cursor keys on a real keyboard.

So long
    masterhit
    got cups working on my TP. Printer configuration via website was possible in ACL powered Opera mobile (webOS browser didn't like the bottons to add new printers).

didn't set root pw, but changed in cups.conf folder /admin to auth none for configuration time

Got my old HP LJ 6 MP (Parallel Port via Jetdirect Ethernet) working.

Printed jpg and txt files with lp commandline, but couldn't get pdf working (missing gs ghostscript?, will dive in later) .

detailed how to is comming, next up is my Pre2 (hope to be able to copy config part from TP)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    got cups working on my TP. Printer configuration via website was possible in ACL powered Opera mobile (webOS browser didn't like the bottons to add new printers).

didn't set root pw, but changed in cups.conf folder /admin to auth none for configuration time

Got my old HP LJ 6 MP (Parallel Port via Jetdirect Ethernet) working.

Printed jpg and txt files with lp commandline, but couldn't get pdf working (missing gs ghostscript?, will dive in later) .

detailed how to is comming, next up is my Pre2 (hope to be able to copy config part from TP)
    glad someone likes it

Changing the cups.conf is surely the more secure way, true.
    I haven't tried to print pdf, but installing cups-pdf also pulls ghostscript as a dependency. I'll try to print later.

masterhit
    update: the pdfs are being rejected with the error "Unable to execute gs program: No such file or directory"
    maybe a non existing directory due to read-only rootfs?
    Last edited by masterhit; 11/09/2013 at 06:49 AM.
  8.    #8  
    glad someone likes it

Changing the cups.conf is surely the more secure way, true.
    I haven't tried to print pdf, but installing cups-pdf also pulls ghostscript as a dependency. I'll try to print later.

masterhit
    update: the pdfs are being rejected with the error "Unable to execute gs program: No such file or directory"
    maybe a non existing directory due to read-only rootfs?
    Update2: cups is searching in /usr/bin for gs ... so in /usr/bin i did a 'ln -s /opt/bin/gs' ... and its printing PDF
    no idea where to conf cups to search for /opt/bin/gs
    I'm just a fiddler, playing aroung with the given tools, not a programmer. But it should be fairly easy to write an app with a file selector executing the program
    lp %1 -o fitplot

I wrote in my notes that localhost:631 works in the webos browser... it did, but i wasn't able to log in as root to configure anything, despite i've been asked for the password, etc. So my advice if this won't work for you either: Use lynx (a textbrowser) in a ssh shell on your phone. You might need the cursor keys on a real keyboard.

So long
    masterhit
    I just got here due to a query somewhere else. If it is the case that all that is needed is a file browser app, would the easiest / simplest option be to add a print option to an existing app? Internalz Pro would be the obvious candidate. When selecting a file, there could be an option to 'Print' or 'Print via CUPS'. I guess this might require detecting the presence of CUPS or the native printing system and displaying th option accordingly. The process would be to patch, formerly update or simply install the CUPS program alongside Internalz.
    hfGermany likes this.