Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
  • 1 Post By gizmo21
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I own two Pre+, one for daily use and one for spare.
    I accidentally deleted parts of my tasks-list and I want to get this back.
    As save/restore doesn't seem to cover the internal apps, I'll have to restore from the cloud.
    As my first Pre+ is full of apps, some of them no longer to obtain, I really don't want to clear/doctor him again.

I see two ways to do it:

1) I setup my spare Pre+ as a complete clone of my first Pre+. I allready tried with impostah's "overwrite device profile", but my reset was to deep, so the overwrite was gone when the device powered up.
    Is there a way to make a twin Pre+ out of my spare one to make the cloud restore on him ?

2) I also could make my first Pre+ to tell the cloud, that we're on "recovery boot", so the cloud will give my data back to me.... Can this be done ?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nebelfuerst View Post
    Hi,
    I own two Pre+, one for daily use and one for spare.
    I accidentally deleted parts of my tasks-list and I want to get this back.
    As save/restore doesn't seem to cover the internal apps, I'll have to restore from the cloud.
    As my first Pre+ is full of apps, some of them no longer to obtain, I really don't want to clear/doctor him again.

I see two ways to do it:

1) I setup my spare Pre+ as a complete clone of my first Pre+. I allready tried with impostah's "overwrite device profile", but my reset was to deep, so the overwrite was gone when the device powered up.
    Is there a way to make a twin Pre+ out of my spare one to make the cloud restore on him ?

2) I also could make my first Pre+ to tell the cloud, that we're on "recovery boot", so the cloud will give my data back to me.... Can this be done ?
    This is probably not much help, but if "backup" is shut off and the device hasn't backed itself since the task data was deleted it should show up when you log in to you profile on the other device. The lost apps are another story. For me the apps I couldn't retrieve through the use of App Tuckerbox and the catalog, I was able to find in torrents. I didn't have the skill to take an installed app on the phone, find all of its installed files, and build the *.ipk. So, I would locate the torrent and select the files I had previously purchased. Good Luck.
    Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > BlackBerry Q10 > HP VZPre 3 > Galaxy S7 edge
    I hope you've already put it into airplane mode...

I think it should be possible to download all files off the Pre+ via scp... though you'd need to set up SSH on it first... WinSCP is a good client app to use once you get this working.

That said, i haven't done it myself yet, although there's a guide for this somewhere on this site.

Once you make a full backup of the application directory, appdata, the palm database and whatever else, you should be able to turn off wifi on it. Then just log into your profile when you boot up the other Pre+. After the profile data gets downloaded and you retrieve it off of the other Pre+, log out of the Palm Profile on it.

That should erase the data off the second Pre. On the first Pre, open the Backup app (with wifi off and airplane mode on). Turn on WiFi and immediately press "Back up now". That should reinstate the first Pre as being in the Profile.

!!!

However... i don't have two phones to try this on, so my guide is not verified and might not work as intended... but this is the only logical way to do what you'd like to do. What we do know is that Palm Profile doesn't allow two phones to be on at once, and lack of connectivity will temporarily keep a phone from being erased. Hopefully, logging out of the spare phone will be enough for the other phone to be reinstated when you press "back up now". But don't take my word for it, make a full, complete backup before trying. If the phone gets properly reinstated, it shouldn't wipe itself on reboot.
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    Ok...

With the first Pre in airplane mode, can you open the Backup app and look at the "last backup" timestamp?

If the timestamp is newer than when you've deleted the tasks list, i'm not sure the cloud restore trick will even work
    i think you're not really 'cloning'. you're letting each phone take a turn at assuming a single identity, hopefully without either of them 'finding out' about the other. haha! i hope you get it worked out!
    Impostah also has a "Backup" restore option (i never dared to try) and thereyou can also see the dates at which backups where made.

For a a backup/restore of all apps of an device try mybackup which zips them all and can be restored (usually without prob, could be special apps only be valid for one device). Links on that in my Tips thread in my signature.
    Then you also need save&Restore to also backup data of your 3rd party apps or save the .dbs
    Remy X likes this.
    @gizmo,

You keep directing people to have a look at your signature, but for some reason or another, the forum doesn't display it. Only by going to your profile i can look at the links

I have included your sig here for the OP's convenience..
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    @gizmo,

You keep directing people to have a look at your signature, but for some reason or another, the forum doesn't display it. Only by going to your profile i can look at the links

I have included your sig here for the OP's convenience..
    Yeah sorry, i think it's forum config that posting on mobiles does not autoadd signature.

(posting from desktop works )
    Remy X likes this.
  9.    #9  
    I tried Impostah's Backup restore. It worked fine, but my tasks were not restored.

Shouldn't they be backuped in the cloud ??
    ( I disabled autosync, I do the sync manually, but regulary...)

I there's no tasks-backup in the cloud, I have more data to loose then to win... nevertheless this would be my second Nogo for couldcomputing, after prism..
  10.    #10  
    I restored the backup from cloud with impostah.
    Unfortunately, the tasks didn't come back..
    Are task backuped in the cloud of HP ?