1.    #1  
    What are the advantages of installing the Bourne Again Shell?

I've been ignoring BASH in Preware up until now, but the new USB FlashMount OTG patch has caught my eye, and it requires BASH, so now I need to get educated. I've searched the forums, the webOS Internals wiki, and Wikipedia, but didn't really get a clue as to the advantages of running BASH on webOS devices (I've got a Pre3 and TouchPad).

Since my only contact with Linux has been through webOS, I need some community feedback on this.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Bash is an extension of the unix sh program. It just has more features so if the "sh" scripts use bash extensions then it won't work on the "stock" sh program. Since bash is ubiquitous on Linux, people associate it with sh and use the extensions regularly. Those that cut their teeth on Unix find this bash=sh bad practice.

Interactively, bash has some nice features like command completion, that is lacking in sh (but is found in other shells like csh, zsh, and ksh). My personal favorite "sh" derivative is the korn shell (ksh). It has much more consistent job control abilities and is completely POSIX compliant. It's also has a much smaller run-time memory footprint than bash so it helps when you have limited memory to waste.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Bash is an extension of the unix sh program...My personal favorite "sh" derivative is the korn shell (ksh). It has much more consistent job control abilities and is completely POSIX compliant. It's also has a much smaller run-time memory footprint than bash so it helps when you have limited memory to waste.
    Thanks, but BASH is what's on Preware. It's not a question for me of what other shell program is better, but why I would want to put BASH on my devices.

I'm not a command-line guru--heck, I don't know Linux at all. But will BASH somehow improve the way webOS or my apps function? Or will it just break something without giving me any real benefit? Or is the truth somewhere in between?

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    Thanks, but BASH is what's on Preware. It's not a question for me of what other shell program is better, but why I would want to put BASH on my devices.

I'm not a command-line guru--heck, I don't know Linux at all. But will BASH somehow improve the way webOS or my apps function? Or will it just break something without giving me any real benefit? Or is the truth somewhere in between?
    Think of it more as like the LunaCE of sh. It's the same thing but adds features that would be useful. If the package you want requires, installing it will not break anything or make things work better, unless you routinely use the features in it. Alternatively, you could probably install the other sh packages through optware (not via Preware, but through a terminal session).