1. rlr
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, or if it has been answered elsewhere...

I'm trying to install the gcc toolchain on my webOS 2.2 device (a FrankenPre 2), and I'm running into a problem with space in (I believe) /opt.

"ipkg-opt install gcc" shows "no space left on device" messages several times in the output. "df -h /opt" shows that /opt is 124.0M, with 9M available before attempting install.

My questions are:
    1.) should I attempt to resize /opt, or is this a symptom of some other problem? I vaguely remember being able to install gcc on my Pre minus without problems (along with make and python, I believe), but I'm wondering if webOS 1.x was the difference here.

2.) if I do need to make /opt bigger, what's the best way to do so?

3.) or am I doing something completely wrong, and getting gcc installed shouldn't involve me resizing anything?

Thanks in advance.
    My /opt is 5% full. Check if you have misplaced files in there.
  3. rlr
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    My /opt is 5% full. Check if you have misplaced files in there.
    That's good to know, thanks. I looked in /opt a little more and discovered I had samba and vlc installed, which I remember doing but no longer need. It doesn't seem like I have anything else there that shouldn't be though. After I removed those two packages, /opt went down to ~30% and I was able to install gcc and gdb. After installing those two packages, /opt is now up to 79% full.

So, it would seem that I have to keep an eye on what I have installed on the device a little more than I'd like, especially considering /media/internal has about 10G free. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, what did you do about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlr View Post
    That's good to know, thanks. I looked in /opt a little more and discovered I had samba and vlc installed, which I remember doing but no longer need. It doesn't seem like I have anything else there that shouldn't be though. After I removed those two packages, /opt went down to ~30% and I was able to install gcc and gdb. After installing those two packages, /opt is now up to 79% full.

So, it would seem that I have to keep an eye on what I have installed on the device a little more than I'd like, especially considering /media/internal has about 10G free. Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, what did you do about it?
    If you are worried about this for the future, you can probably increase the size. I think if you got optware bootstrap installed, /opt is a 128 MB partition. You can try enlarging it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    If you are worried about this for the future, you can probably increase the size. I think if you got optware bootstrap installed, /opt is a 128 MB partition. You can try enlarging it.
    Came in here because I didn't quite run into the same issue, only worked around the constraint to compile software on my pixi.

But any references as far as documentation goes to resize the optware image?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    [[From my understanding, /opt isn't an image, but rather a loopback system (anyone can chime in to correct me)]]--------> Ignore this.

It's almost like a sub-partition of /media/internal as dismounting /media/internal also dismounts /opt. Changing its size should be the same as changing the partition size of anything on Linux, just not sure how the loopback plays into this...
    Last edited by bassman97; 09/28/2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Been corrected
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    From my understanding, /opt isn't an image, but rather a loopback system (anyone can chime in to correct me). It's almost like a sub-partition of /media/internal as dismounting /media/internal also dismounts /opt. Changing its size should be the same as changing the partition size of anything on Linux, just not sure how the loopback plays into this...
    It is an image, stored under /internal/cryptofs, and by extension /media/internal. Hence unmounting /media/internal unmounts /media/cryptofs, which also makes the optware image unavailable.
  8. rlr
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    But any references as far as documentation goes to resize the optware image?
    I was able to eventually find some documentation on resizing /opt. I ignored the red warning text on the page since I felt comfortable with my understanding of the procedure, and even made /opt 2G instead of the 1G size described in the doc.

Here's the link: Alt optmedia - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by rlr; 10/07/2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Just create a large ext3 partition with Tailor, and optware will use that when you install optware bootstrap instead of the 128Mb loop back.

No need for manual steps.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. rlr
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Just create a large ext3 partition with Tailor, and optware will use that when you install optware bootstrap instead of the 128Mb loop back.

No need for manual steps.

-- Rod
    Sounds good. I searched preware for tailor and didn't find anything, maybe I don't have the right feed? I'm also curious about something: if I want to have /opt be resized to 2G prior to running optware bootstrap, how would I be able to use tailor? Or, does tailor not need to have optware set up? I thought all homebrew apps needed optware, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlr View Post
    Sounds good. I searched preware for tailor and didn't find anything, maybe I don't have the right feed? I'm also curious about something: if I want to have /opt be resized to 2G prior to running optware bootstrap, how would I be able to use tailor? Or, does tailor not need to have optware set up? I thought all homebrew apps needed optware, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    It's currently in the beta feed. It's been there so long with no reports of failure that I've just queued it for the stable feed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals