Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Don't tell me ... you really mean Australia, and not Austria. I was soooo often asked, why there are no kangaroos where I live ... no hoppedys in the alps, no sir
    That's hilarious! "Snow-Roos - on Skis!!"
    Asked by Americans, mostly?

Like I said: "Say no more!"

PS. You're gonna Love LunaCE - mostly!

~*~
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFF Stough View Post
    I believe 4.9.7 and 4.9.9 are still in alpha.
    correct, as posted here, the beta is in a feature freeze until a stable non-beta version is released.

The alpha versions are getting features added.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    hmmm

If the Alpha are getting added and the Beta is frozen until a stable release is made surely that means that the newer ALpha features wont be released in the Stable release.

The makes me want to use Alpha more!
    The road to success is always under construction
    Actually, the alphas are currently for fine tuning the current set of features.
    kayphoonstar likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post

PS. You're gonna Love LunaCE - mostly!

~*~
    I don't mean meddle my nose around, but what do you mean by: Mostly! ? It seems to show that the LunaCE Install doesn't bring much improvements to the WebOS operating system(beyond of what developers have been tinkering with and shown up on YouTube videos). Does the WebOS still slow at booting up or loading apps, do we still have a crappy OS browser on WebOS ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  6.    #626  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I don't mean meddle my nose around, but what do you mean by: Mostly! ? It seems to show that the LunaCE Install doesn't bring much improvements to the WebOS operating system(beyond of what developers have been tinkering with and shown up on YouTube videos). Does the WebOS still slow at booting up or loading apps, do we still have a crappy OS browser on WebOS ?
    You seem to have confused the malleability of webOS CE and Open webOS.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    luna CE isnt a full blown OS, its a revamp of the gui or face of webOS if you like with other added extras, it does some nice stuff, but its just the face of the body, the face changes but the body inside is the same until they get to enhance much more when they have access to absolutely everything.

getting a facelift doesnt make an overweight person slim with an automatic 6pack and bulking muscles, in the same way all the webOS features youd like modified cant be done by lunaCE alone, its just a small part of a bigger whole.

i probably made a bad example, someone else can likely explain better, but that doesnt distract from the fact that lunaCE is good and very welcome, and more importantly a brief glimpse into what we can expect when the devs in question have eventual access to everything they need, ie.... changes, updates, additions and more importantly, some ongoing support.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I am still waiting for some android code to be cut/pasted, Active widgets, animated wallpaper, folders in the launcher, although what has been done so far has enhanced the UI, that is what LunaSysMgr is...

You want faster browser compile Open webOS QTwebkit and replace webOS 3.0.5 modules... Complaining will not help, suggest ideas, help compile, add code...

Test existing code...
    "the" webOS seems to be quite more responsive overall with CE, but it's still basically, 3.0.5. Also, the webOS browser is hands down better than everything on mobile other than iOS 5+, Jelly Bean, and PlayBook OS. Which means basically Apple users, and a very very small amount of non-Apple users.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Active widgets, animated wallpaper
    played with those on android and came to the eventual comclusion that their pretty but generally not particularly useful when their there in my face 24/7, im a growing fan of garrets weather widget and what is it now? 2 updated apps from boucles0 that take advantage of lunaCE to make the new gen of widgets in our notification bar.

This system were getting now in prettier form thanks to lunaCE and devs taking advantage of it is what i like, i see the widgets/app when i ask for it, and it doesnt keep doing stuff in my face all the time unless i want it too.

others do like the shiney in your face stuff which is fine as a choice, but so far im a fan of the unobtrusive stuff, i like the fact my touchpads getting more useful stuff, and that my UI is kept clean and tidy without any needless clutter without losing anything in the process.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I didn't use my touchpad much until I installed lunaCE. Navigation is greatly improved
    Actually what I meant by 'mostly' was a mildly humorous reference to the loose theme of conversation I had been involved in regarding the "'Optimisations' to Tabbed Cards" in a recent Alpha version of LunaCE, whereby the user has the choice of either tolerating instant minute tabs in Docs, Browser, Email etc... or just disabling the entire 'feature' in Tweaks.. which seems a shame to have to do!
    Far better I feel, to at least give the user a two-tier choice in Tweaks instead..
    1) - Tabbed Cards by side bezel swipe.
    OR
    2) - Tabbed Cards on 'Auto' as such.
    I prefer the former.

Well you did ask!

LunaCE seems to be confined to incorporating improvments to the (SysMgr) User Interface of webOS.

I hope that clarifies for you a little.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/26/2012 at 08:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lagoldste View Post
    Everything I have seen says the Beta is for "fine tuning the current set of features" that is why it is in a feature freeze and alpha is continuing to see new features and tweaks to those features being added. Since 4.9.5 (the last beta version), trackball has been added, also Ctrl+ functions ...

Please Rod, Shifty, Eblade, etc correct me if I am wrong here.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    There is something ...

Just a little thing ...

I'm not sure it is worth mentioning ...

I GOT LUNACE ...
    Man, it's sleek, fast and furious. Veeeeerrry nice job, guys

I activated the beta feeds with wterm and instantly had my problem with the linux commandline of course.
    Therefore I have a hint: you need to activate the su command in wterm and then su to root before you can use the mkdir command ... Took me a few minutes to find that out (my last time I came in touch with unix was 1996, when I had to set up a RS/6000 system with AIX ... so you can imagine how jittery the commandline makes me )

Okay, I tested all the apps I normally use over the day, which is the browser, mail, calender, facebook, spazHD, RSSbasic, Kindle (0.12.50), TV Spielfilm (a german language TVprogram guide) and Tunein Radio.
    So far they all work without any problems.

Only thing I am still searching is: how can I activate the qwertz keyboard profile??

Again: congratulations all you devs of WOI, you did a hellofa job!
    me happy
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
  15.    #635  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Everything I have seen says the Beta is for "fine tuning the current set of features" that is why it is in a feature freeze and alpha is continuing to see new features and tweaks to those features being added. Since 4.9.5 (the last beta version), trackball has been added, also Ctrl+ functions ...

Why would we restrict ourselves with rules?

It's clear that alpha versions are more likely to be broken than beta versions, and beta versions are more likely to be broken than stable versions. Other than that, the developers will use the alpha and beta feeds as they see fit.

It's quite simple to uninstall a version, change your feeds, and reinstall a different version. If you're in this thread, you're part of the testing effort and are expected to do that. If you're looking for a stable version, then you should just be watching this thread and not installing anything.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

1) Because when we feature froze, there were broken things in our issues.webos-ports.org bug tracker

2) Because I don't like to put "fixes" directly into Beta (especially some that are bound to break stuff)

3) Because they aren't "Features" but rather things that we were told worked but *didn't*

Tom
    Project Leader WebOS-Ports and LunaCE
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Why would we restrict ourselves with rules?

It's clear that alpha versions are more likely to be broken than beta versions, and beta versions are more likely to be broken than stable versions. Other than that, the developers will use the alpha and beta feeds as they see fit.

It's quite simple to uninstall a version, change your feeds, and reinstall a different version. If you're in this thread, you're part of the testing effort and are expected to do that. If you're looking for a stable version, then you should just be watching this thread and not installing anything.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod, sorry wasn't commenting on the rules, just trying to clarify what the poster I quoted had said. I have been back on alpha for a while now personally with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ka6sox View Post
    1) Because when we feature froze, there were broken things in our issues.webos-ports.org bug tracker

2) Because I don't like to put "fixes" directly into Beta (especially some that are bound to break stuff)

3) Because they aren't "Features" but rather things that we were told worked but *didn't*

Tom
    Project Leader WebOS-Ports and LunaCE
    Thanks Tom I fully understand what you are both saying... i think I misunderstood the post I quoted (shown below)...

Quote Originally Posted by lagoldste View Post
    I thought he was saying that alpha wasn't getting new features and was only for fine tuning the current set of features.

I was on beta at feature freeze, so I was going based on the change log, not thinking of where alpha was at when beta was frozen...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Hummm... the "other keyboard layouts" is not in this page?

Can I leave a suggest here?

Best Regards...
    The visual features documentation page is on a wiki, to which the community can contribute.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod.

I just registered on your wiki page but can't find the "visual features documentation page" where I can add my feature request (which is a german layout keyboardmapping - qwertz).
    TIA for any hint, help or slap on my head to put my eyes in the right direction :P
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    There is a qwertz keyboard layout already?
    Quote Originally Posted by horzel View Post
    There is a qwertz keyboard layout already?
    umm the TPad already has a qwertz layout without LunaCE added . So yes it has a qwertz layout . You just need to change your location in the regions app .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->