Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have just bought a Palm Pre 2. I have tried to install preware/homebrew by way of the webosQI, but nowhere, absolutely NOWHERE is the information on how to do it in any way correct.

I downloaded Quick Installer, which didn't get further than asking for the Novacom drivers, and merely closed out when it couldn't find/download any.

I downloaded Robitaille's Standalone Novacom install, and that hung at the "Initialising" stage. (He only put it up last month, so why the hell is HE so bloody hard to find, to email him that his product doesn't work?)

So how the hell are we supposed to get anything onto our Pres?

I think someone needs to a) put current information up
    b) installers that actually work.

As if I wasn't disappointed enough with the Palm pre - can't get the virtual keyboard working, can't get the map to work, no turn-by-turn navigation, and voice dialling dials anything it feels like. Since when did "Home" sound like "Balance", pffft
    Last edited by NickM99; 08/04/2012 at 10:18 AM.
    I think we need more info to be able to help you, Nick.

What computer OS are you using? Each one needs something a bit different...

I've found all of Robitaille's work to be top shelf. So has HP, he's busy doing an internship for them ATM and hasn't been around lately.

Lastly, have you tried the Preware Standalone Installer?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
  3.    #3  
    I am using WinXP Pro SP3

I've spent the last three days solid trying to get this working. The problem with the Preware Standalone Installer, (according to Preware Standalone Installer)
    is that it requires novacom drivers, and those are where I am sticking. I just can't get ANYthing to download those drivers.

Robitaille's work may indeed be top notch, but not from where I'm stood...
    I just looked at the Universal Novacom Installer - UniversalNovacomInstaller.jar - universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer v1.2.1 - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting

I've not used it before, but just tried it. It identified my OS just fine...

It also offers the option to extract Novacom and install from your Doctor File. Have you tried that?

Otherwise I'm still looking for help for you since you are online right now. We'll see if we can get you up and running.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    You might try a different USB port. The documentation in the Preware Homebrew Doc app in the app catalog is first rate. Plus it helps support webOS Internals.
    RumoredNow, Rockbeast and Rnp like this.
    And a follow up... Make sure you are not using a USB hub.

Is your XP 32 bit or 64 bit?
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 08/04/2012 at 11:06 AM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  7.    #7  
    Okay guys, I sorted it - only by having to invest in a huge 200mb download of webos doctor - which I REALLY didn't want to have to do.

Got it all installed, got preware installed. But at this point now I have actually given up. ALL I am trying to get on this damn thing is the virtual keyboard, but something is not right and I can't actually find it via preware.

Right now I'm giving serious consideration to uninstalling the lot and going back to my LG phone instead.
  8.    #8  
    Very odd this. I'm running 2.2.4 and have loaded preware onto the phone. Every video I'd found says I should click preware, then Available Packages. However, Available Packages is grayed out, so there's nothing in there.
    Help! Anyone got any ideas how I can get the virtual keyboard from there?
  9.    #9  
    Never mind, I think I've finally realised that VKB for 2.24 is foxed.
    virtual keyboard is not loaded from Preware (mostly)...

see this thread, and my post in particular:
    [PATCH] Virtual Keyboard

load the patch luna.conf.patch (do this by dropping it into WOSQI, or using Internalz Pro). Then drop VKB.sh into your / directory, and run it (making sure you do so as root).
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
    Okay guys, I sorted it - only by having to invest in a huge 200mb download of webos doctor - which I REALLY didn't want to have to do.
    It is highly advisable to have a Doctor on hand before modifying your device... Anything else is just asking for heartache.

I'm glad it solved your original issue though.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    bevcraw likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Sorry, not one word of that made sense. I've downloaded the file vkb.sh, and was about to drop it into wosqi but that mention of root file means zip to me....

I couldn't find the luna file you referred to. Having it somewhere within a mile of the relevant post would've been great, as there's twenty three pages of sheer gobblede**** to go through.

Thanks, but leaving it there. It should not be such a farce to get a virtual keyboard, when my last phone - LG GD900 - came with one as standard.

At least now I have found a use for the Pre - as a door wedge.
    Very odd this. I'm running 2.2.4 and have loaded preware onto the phone. Every video I'd found says I should click preware, then Available Packages. However, Available Packages is grayed out, so there's nothing in there.
    Help! Anyone got any ideas how I can get the virtual keyboard from there?
    In Preware Preferences you have to enable feeds...

Open Preware > Tap the APP Menu in the upper left (Labeled "Preware") > Tap Manage Feeds and toggle the feeds you want to "On"

I enable all of them except the Palm Catalog (it's the HP App Catalog) as it is a duplicate and gives too much to search through otherwise...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  14.    #14  
    Okay, I've done that and selected every selectable item to on.
    However, Available Packages is still grayed out and not selectable.

-?-
    <thread moved to proper support forum>
  16.    #16  
    Never mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    In Preware Preferences you have to enable feeds...

Open Preware > Tap the APP Menu in the upper left (Labeled "Preware") > Tap Manage Feeds and toggle the feeds you want to "On"

I enable all of them except the Palm Catalog (it's the HP App Catalog) as it is a duplicate and gives too much to search through otherwise...
    that was very helpful RumouredNow - i was working a similar situation and your replies were right on the money - thank-you!
    Okay, I've done that and selected every selectable item to on.
    However, Available Packages is still grayed out and not selectable.

-?-
    Did you solve your issue? And were you connected via wifi or mobile network? Also, it might be worth noting that the VKB is a 'special case' that requires two patches, one binary (the .sh file) and one not (the .patch file available in the OP of the VKB thread).
    The .sh file is a linux shell script, it needs to be uploaded to the device (via USB works) and then run as root in a terminal through webOS Quick Install or the command-line utility 'novaterm'.
    The other patch can be installed via webOS Quick Install via drag-and-drop, all that does is modify a configuration file to actually enable the VKB. You can install this one on it's own sans shell script, but the VKB is buggy and prone to crashing without it.

Also, I understand that it can be frustrating when stuff doesn't work, but that doesn't mean there's any need to act discourteously on the forum. Jason Robitaille and webOS Internals have put in a lot of time and effort to bring these things to the community, and their work with webOS is second to none, so please play nice. People are more likely to come to your aid if you ask for it politely.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Fisack23 likes this.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks, but no I gave up on it. When it comes to running scripts and root things on a format I have no experience with, it is time to give up and use the phone for what it does best. Holding a door open. Buying the pre was for me a big mistake. I don't have big fingers, but the keyboard is a nightmare - button presses don't always work, and the keys are too tiny to prevent pressing three at once, hence the need for the virtual keyboard.
    But I thank you for your attempts to see me through it.

Re discourtesy, it is very frustrating to find sooo much information, all spread out across both the internet and here, when really it could have been boiled down to one informative thread stating:

Download webosdoctor for your version/serial number
    Download webosqi
    Run webosqi and selecting the novacom drivers from webosdoc
    Install preware from webosqi by clicking globe icon.

Frustrating too, that in the standalone novacom driver downloader there was no mention iirc that you HAD to have webosdoc in the first place, but I am sorry if I came across as discourteous. Having been run round the houses by conflicting and disinforming info really tested my patience to the limit.
    Last edited by NickM99; 08/05/2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Warning: I am not installing this patch myself as I am fine with the keyboard but these seem to be the instructions.
    Try at your own risk or wait for one of the other posters in this thread to validate what I wrote.

The vkb patch is one of the more advanced procedures to do with a Pre. It is more complicated than a normal patch so that is why it is not in preware and why you are having problems. The Pre was out for 2 1/2 years before someone came up with this patch.

1) WOSQI Homebrew app in the HP app store and Preware Homebrew app in the HP app store tell you how to install each one (also if you buy them and they are cheap, you are supporting the devs). The WOSQI homebrewer has to update his app to update the automatic novacom driver downloader but he is a little jammed for time right now because he is interning at HP so that is probably why you had to install the doctor to get those files.

I've never looked at it before as I like the keyboard but Here's what you do according to what I read (someone correct me if I am wrong).

PART 1--Install the VKB patch

1) Find the correct luna.conf patch for your device in this thread and download it to your pc. It is not in the regular preware feeds I am guessing as it requires a script to make it stable (see below).

[PATCH] Virtual Keyboard

2). Connect your pre to WOSQI. Add the patch to your Pre using WOSQI. If you don't know how to do this, the WOSQI Homebrew App that you just bought from the HP app store to support the dev for the bargain price of 0.99 will tell you how to do this.

3) Restart your Pre if WOSQI did not automatically restart it.

Now you have your VKB patch installed but an enterprising home brewer has figured out how to make it more stable by running a script to patch webOS. This is very advanced but apparently necessary to keep this patch stable.

Part II. Install the Script to make the patch stable

1. Go back to that thread in #1. above which talks about installing VKB and download the sh file. This is your script.

2.download the script file onto your pc ( the sh file) and then put itonto your Pre. You do this by connecting your Pre to your pc in USB mode and drag the script file onto the Pre. Disconnect the Pre from USB mode.

3. Now you have to run the script. There are various ways to do this but the easiest way to do this for you is to connect the Pre back to WOSQI because the WOSQI dev has included this functionality as one of his tools.

4. Once you have connected the Pre back up to WOSQI then go to Tools, iinux commandline and you will see a terminal open that connects to your Pre and will enable you to run the script.

4.5. Type:
    cd /media/internal into the linux command line

5. Type:
    ./VKB.sh into the linux command line.

6. Restart your Pre (a luna restart is fine)

7. Swipe up slowwwlly from the gesture area and your VKB should appear and be stable

8. Say thanks to the devs by buying the WOSQI and Preware homebrew apps if you haven't done so already.
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/05/2012 at 09:57 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast