1.    #1  
    Is there a thread dedicated to issues encountered when using webOS 2.1 on the Sprint Pre? I love the upgrade but I am having some stability issues. I've been googling and getting bits and pieces on how to fix things but I would like to be able to go to one central location for information.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
  2.    #2  
    So there is no thread on webOS 2.1 update issues for legacy devices? Would it be ok to start one?

My phone starts to stutter and lock up randomly at least twice a day. I can't figure out why. At first I thought it was overheating, but that is not the case. I also have issues with Uberkernel. It seems to be very unstable on 2.1. I read somewhere that you want to set the minimum speed to 500MHz for Uberkernel. I'm running the AV8 kernel and it seems to be more stable than Uber. I have to set the maximum speed 800MHz for it to be stable. I have also noticed that you can't move the voice dialing icon. No matter where you put it, it always goes back to the same spot after a restart. I have had multiple issues with Synergy. My Google Mail would sync, but my calendar would not. I had to delete account from the calendar app, then re-add it. Same with my Google contacts. My Yahoo mail account wouldn't work. I followed the fix I found somewhere else in the forums.

Anyone else have an issue and/or a fix with webOS 2.1 on legacy devices they would like to share with the group?
  3.    #3  
    I decided to update to 2.2.4 to see if that build would be more stable. I wasn't. I spent the whole night updating and trying different kernels but it locked up quicker than 2.1.0 did and more often. I decided to re-doctor 2.1.0 on it and now it is running a lot better than it was with 2.1.0 before. My wife's Pre with 2.1.0 is also running great and has not crashed since the initial doctor.

I think I know what may have caused my stability issues. When I initially installed 2.1.0 on my system, I was in a bad coverage area in my house. The initial webOS profile log in did not go so well. Even though it eventually downloaded all of my apps, my profile was listed as "Dr. Skipped First Use". I followed the instructions on the wiki to fix the issue. Even after that some of my apps had to be downloaded again because they were unstable and my Pre would occasionally lock up. When I set up my wife's Pre to 2.1.0, there were no issues with her profile. I was in a good coverage area in my house so it connect right on the first try. When I doctored my Pre back to 2.1.0 I was upstairs in a good area. The profile logged in correctly on the first try and I have not had a lock-up on the phone yet (going on 6 hours now). I highly recommend that you set up 2.1.0 your phone in a good coverage area.
    I did not have any real issues with 2.1 on my Pre, but it was all around more sluggish than 1.4.5. Email was especially bad when very much mail was downloaded. I found that 2.1 runs much better on my Pre plus. Thinking back, it might have been back before uberkernel was available for 2.1... Can't remember anymore as it has been a year and a half since I did it. I just shook my head at those that claimed it was faster. The biggest improvement I saw with 2.0 was fixing the bug in email where it never clears out old emails in IMAP accounts unless you change the number of days to download. Autocorrect was pretty sluggish on the Pre.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 06/30/2012 at 03:26 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I did not have any real issues with 2.1 on my Pre, but it was all around more sluggish than 1.4.5. Email was especially bad when very much mail was downloaded. I found that 2.1 runs much better on my Pre plus. Thinking back, it might have been back before uberkernel was available for 2.1... Can't remember anymore as it has been a year and a half since I did it. I just shook my head at those that claimed it was faster. The biggest improvement I saw with 2.0 was fixing the bug in email where it never clears out old emails in IMAP accounts unless you change the number of days to download. Autocorrect was pretty sluggish on the Pre.
    You definitely need an overclocked kernel with 2.1. I'm using the AV-8 kernel set to screenstate 500/800. I also increased the compcache to 32MB. It is running just as smooth as 1.4.5 right now although it will stutter every now and then (usually when notifications pop up).

Since my last post I had 1 lock-up. It was after about 14 hours of normal use after the re-doctoring. It happened while the Pre was on the Touchstone in exhibition mode (photo viewer). I restarted the phone and it has now been another twelve with no lock ups.

I did not realize that the release has been out so long. Probably the reason I am having a hard time finding info on it and probably why I have only had one response to this post. I may be one of the few people left running 2.1 on a Sprint Pre. No matter to me. I am very happy with it right now. The Pre still does a whole lot better than my newer Android devices at handling email and other PDA related tasks. I want to thank the webOS internals folks for given my favorite phone a new lease on life.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums