Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    I would prefer to know what you have to lose by trying it, other than a few minutes of your life. When I first suggested it you were merely bootlooping and doctor had run fine, albeit without solving the problem.
    That is true. I will try it then, thanks
    It's fixed!

The following will irrevocably erase EVERYTHING from your Touchpad. USB Drive, settings, partitions, Android data, webOS user data, everything.

Basically you have to delete and re-make the LVM volume group.
    There's two ways to remake the LVM group, one manual, and one automatic.

First, try this:
    The automatic way is easy, it's just two steps:
    - Doctor to 3.0.0. This doctor creates the necessary partitions automatically.
    - Finally, run the most recent doctor to update.
    If this doesn't work, follow through below for the manual method. (That's the way I fixed it.)

Required:
    - webOS Doctor jar file, latest
    - Novacom Drivers
    - Novacom and Novaterm (or your preferred webOS terminal)
    - (optionally) webOS Quick Install to load on Preware etc.
    - Archiver that can unzip and open .tar files. Preferably 7-zip, winRAR works as well

The steps go something like this:
    1. Reboot the Touchpad into Recovery mode, by resetting (Power + Home 10 seconds), then hold the Volume Up key as you boot it up.
    2. Once it's at the USB insignia, open the Doctor .jar file in an archiver, and go to resources/webOS.tar/./, and copy off the nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage file.
    3. Open up a command window. If novacom/novaterm isn't in your path, cd to the correct directory.
    4. Type in the following:
    novacom boot mem:// <
    ... and drag and drop the nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage file into the command window. Hit enter.
    5. Wait a few seconds, then load up your novaterm, and connect. Make sure it's connecting to topaz-linux, and the prompt says root@webos-device:/# or similar.
    6. Type in the following commands: (This is where YOU WILL ERASE EVERYTHING. No turning back.)
    This is for 32GB Touchpad/WiFi, only. For other models, change the size of the media partition.
    lvm.static vgscan
    lvm.static vgchange -ay
    lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static vgchange -ay
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3523 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    lvm.static vgscan
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/store-var
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/store-log
    tellbootie recover
    This all will restore your Touchpad to its defaults and give it a default partition layout.
    7. Doctor it.

The whole problem here was that the wiki article section on how to manually restore the partitions, skips out on the step where you format the log and var partitions. A minor oversight, I'd assume; I'm making the edit right now.
  3.    #23  
    Thank you so much! Doctor 3.0.0 restored everything!
    sirocyl likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Thank you so much! Doctor 3.0.0 restored everything!
    Alright! I had to go the long way, since I needed my Touchpad in a matter of minutes and couldn't bother with getting a 3.0.0 doctor over my 2G/EDGE connection. Now that I know, I'll grab and keep a 3.0.0 around in case my partitions need rebuilding.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Hi there ! What would be the changes to make for a 16 Go Touchpad ?

lvm.static vgscan
    lvm.static vgchange -ay
    lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static vgchange -ay
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3523 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    lvm.static vgscan
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/store-var
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/store-log
    tellbootie recover
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCaffey View Post
    Hi there ! What would be the changes to make for a 16 Go Touchpad ?
    It would be better if we figure out what your problem is before blindly giving commands. What was your original problem? Did the Doctor work? If it didn't, was it frozen, or did it give you an error?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    It would be better if we figure out what your problem is before blindly giving commands. What was your original problem? Did the Doctor work? If it didn't, was it frozen, or did it give you an error?
    My Touchpad worked well with a CM10 ROM. 'Til the day I decided to change to an AOKP, but the flashing turned bad. Since then I can't boot WebOS nor Cyanogen. I tried with different versions of WebOS Doctor several times, but no luck.
    It gets stuck at 8%. I tried many things but nothing happens...

I have to say that I can boot on TWRP and if I send a ClockWork uImage, it works, but the Touchpad won't mount as USB Storage...
    Last edited by JohnCaffey; 12/27/2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirocyl View Post
    It's fixed!

The following will irrevocably erase EVERYTHING from your Touchpad. USB Drive, settings, partitions, Android data, webOS user data, everything.

Basically you have to delete and re-make the LVM volume group.
    There's two ways to remake the LVM group, one manual, and one automatic.

First, try this:
    The automatic way is easy, it's just two steps:
    - Doctor to 3.0.0. This doctor creates the necessary partitions automatically.
    - Finally, run the most recent doctor to update.
    If this doesn't work, follow through below for the manual method. (That's the way I fixed it.)

Required:
    - webOS Doctor jar file, latest
    - Novacom Drivers
    - Novacom and Novaterm (or your preferred webOS terminal)
    - (optionally) webOS Quick Install to load on Preware etc.
    - Archiver that can unzip and open .tar files. Preferably 7-zip, winRAR works as well

The steps go something like this:
    1. Reboot the Touchpad into Recovery mode, by resetting (Power + Home 10 seconds), then hold the Volume Up key as you boot it up.
    2. Once it's at the USB insignia, open the Doctor .jar file in an archiver, and go to resources/webOS.tar/./, and copy off the nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage file.
    3. Open up a command window. If novacom/novaterm isn't in your path, cd to the correct directory.
    4. Type in the following:
    novacom boot mem:// <
    ... and drag and drop the nova-installer-image-topaz.uImage file into the command window. Hit enter.
    5. Wait a few seconds, then load up your novaterm, and connect. Make sure it's connecting to topaz-linux, and the prompt says root@webos-device:/# or similar.
    6. Type in the following commands: (This is where YOU WILL ERASE EVERYTHING. No turning back.)
    This is for 32GB Touchpad/WiFi, only. For other models, change the size of the media partition.

This all will restore your Touchpad to its defaults and give it a default partition layout.
    7. Doctor it.

The whole problem here was that the wiki article section on how to manually restore the partitions, skips out on the step where you format the log and var partitions. A minor oversight, I'd assume; I'm making the edit right now.
    Many many thanks
    I thought my Touchpad was lost after trying to install ubuntu on it.
    The flashing failed
    No solution helped.
    the Touchpad has just restarted again and again
    Then I found your post.
    My beloved Touchpad finally working again
    Well done
    thx
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    after trying out Ubuntu, Android and various 'new' launchers I also killed my TP. Doctor v3.0.0 didn't work so I followed the manual entries and Doctored to v3.0.5. It was nail biting, but pleased to say it worked. Thank you so much. I really didn't want to tell my wife I had to buy another one!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12