Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Willard
  • 1 Post By rwhitby
  1.    #1  
    I noticed a Chromium XApp launcher in the nonworking git repository. I got it working.

First I updated to the 0.5.15 XChat source.

Then changed the name of the package that needs to be installed and ultimately launched to chromium-browser, the nonworking 0.1-1 code had just chromium.

Finally, I found everything worked better if I started lxde. So I launch the program by:

Code:
    su - webos -c "lxsession -a & chromium-browser --maximized"
    Thanks to whomever threw that code in there!

Now I just need to figure out how to make the xserver not cover the webOS panel, then maybe share clipboards between xapps and webOS.

Edit: by working I mean launching from xecutah

Edit 2: can I post the ipk since it I only made minor adjustments? And does anybody want it?
    Last edited by Willard; 01/14/2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Firstly : Does this browser require the ubuntu chroot, and what does it do

Secondly : Seeing as you've asked I would be interested in the ipk anyway ;-)
    Touchpad 16GB 3.0.5
    Pre 2 2.2.4
  3.    #3  
    yes, i have it set to require the ubuntu chroot. further it requires lxde. and a restart of the lunamanager to make it show up in xecutah.

both of these can be changed to another chroot and de if you change the appropriate files

I would, as a further disclaimer, add that I am an ecologist and not a programmer so very definitely ymmv.

i built it following the instructions here: XApps Development - WebOS Internals

and only modified code that was made available by following those instructions
    follow the instructions in the TigerVNC thread, was instructions on how to have it appear perfectly in Xecutah, could work the same here.
  5.    #5  
    pm for dropbox link

Please delete this post if this is not kosher. I am not part of webos internals, but merely a humble ecologist.

You will need to modify /media/cryptofs/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xecuatah/app/assistants/main-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $add$ $the$ $app$ $id$ '$org$.$webosinternals$.$xapps$-$chromium$-$ubuntu$-$natty$' $to$ $the$ $list$ $of$ $supported$ $apps$.

You will then need to restart the luna manager after install for it to show up in xecutah.

You need xecutah (duh!), ubuntu chroot, and lxde for this to work. It will install chromium-browser if you don't already have it.

I recommend you install the chromeTouch extension.
    Last edited by Willard; 01/14/2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: removed download url, since I am not part of webos internals
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    pm for dropbox link

Please delete this post if this is not kosher. I am not part of webos internals, but merely a humble ecologist.

You will need to modify /media/cryptofs/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xecuatah/app/assistants/main-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $add$ $the$ $app$ $id$ '$org$.$webosinternals$.$xapps$-$chromium$-$ubuntu$-$natty$' $to$ $the$ $list$ $of$ $supported$ $apps$.

You will then need to restart the luna manager after install for it to show up in xecutah.

You need xecutah (duh!), ubuntu chroot, and lxde for this to work. It will install chromium-browser if you don't already have it.

aye got it working (some snaps inc), quite handy if you dont want the entire ubuntu os/gui loaded up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 01/14/2012 at 02:16 PM.
  7.    #7  
    I'll add a couple screenshots showing the virtual keyboard and right click menu.

You can hide the openbox titlebar in the chromium preferences.
    found ist quite nice starting in portrait mode, and launching xecutah that way with the xs virtual keyboard up (if you dont have or dont wanna lug around the BT keyboard, *cough* or your in bed), then just set the zoom level of chromium to fit the new width.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    found ist quite nice starting in portrait mode, and launching xecutah that way with the xs virtual keyboard up (if you dont have or dont wanna lug around the BT keyboard, *cough* or your in bed), then just set the zoom level of chromium to fit the new width.
    Though if you have the latest alpha(?) xserver, a three finger tap will show and hide the virtual keyboard. I keep the black space for the keyboard turned off.
    geekpeter likes this.
  10.    #10  
    Of course now with the update 3.0.5, the stock browser appears to be working great.
    pm for dropbox link

Please work with ka6sox (you can PM him here), and we will get your modifications into the official feeds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    spud101 likes this.
    Of course now with the update 3.0.5, the stock browser appears to be working great.
    at least your offering has the advantage of chrome extensions.
  13.    #13  
    I need to change the chromium startup command to
    Code:
    su - webos -c "lxsession -a & chromium-browser --maximized --disable-sync"
    I was getting random crashes due to glx not being installed.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Wow, this is great. When (if) it appears in Preware I'll try it right away!
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i'd say this is pretty impressive for a "mere" ecologist
    anyone have any clues how to make this badboy re-appear in preware/webos quickinstall, was gonna try it on my pre3 and touchpad again.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Was there ever actually in Preware? Is there an ipk somewhere?
    probably best asking willard to resubmit it back into preware, if he isnt around anymore i still have the ipk to link to as i use chromium on my pre3 and sometimes but not very often on the touchpad, im just not sure what the score is with linking other peoples work that isnt in preware anymore.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    probably best asking willard to resubmit it back into preware, if he isnt around anymore i still have the ipk to link to as i use chromium on my pre3 and sometimes but not very often on the touchpad, im just not sure what the score is with linking other peoples work that isnt in preware anymore.
    Thanks. I pm'd him - I'll let you know if I hear back (or not).