webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > wTerm: The WebOS Terminal Emulator
wTerm: The WebOS Terminal Emulator
Like Tree17Likes

Old 02/04/2013, 12:28 PM   #221 (permalink)
tfj

Has anyone else noticed certain keys of the wTerm keyboard tend to not respond when pressed?

This seems to vary a lot, perhaps depending on the temperature, but the most troublesome are, one or more of the arrow keys. Other problem keys are Shift-versions of c (especially), b and v (the c key itself is sometimes a bit stubborn, but the Shift-versions commonly fail, although many other Shift-keys work fine). Large keys
like Bksp and Enter sometimes work if you hit them near the corners, but not in the middle.

I frequently have to give up editing a file, and try later (things may improve in only a short while, maybe after the day has warmed up).

Could this be a coding glitch, or is it more likely something physical to do with the touchscreen? Why would it consistently affect some keys, like Shift-c, but not, say, Shift-n?

Thanks,
tfj
tfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 12:31 PM   #222 (permalink)
tfj

I have been repeatedly fooled by the 'upswipe freezing' of bottom-row keys during carding
wTerm; on fullsizing, one of the commonest things I enter is "ls", but if the Ctrl key is stuck, this results in
"Ctrl-l" (clear screen) and "Ctrl-s" (Xoff, that is, turn keyboard I/O off), which clears and freezes the screen; the
solution is to press Ctrl-q (Xon). Sometimes, whatever I entered causes the keyboard itself to freeze; do you know
what key-pattern causes this, and how to recover (otherwise, I have to toss the screen)?

This seems like a bug; 'carded' keypresses should be ignored and released on fullsizing.

Thanks,
tfj
Old 02/04/2013, 12:32 PM   #223 (permalink)

Yeah, arrow keys are sometimes glitched. The others are caused by your fingers being too close and the touch panel interpreting it as one finger.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 12:33 PM   #224 (permalink)
tfj

If I 'card' a wTerm screen, then later fullsize it, broadcast messages from root about <powerd> going down and waking up are scattered all over the screen, which is confusing if you were in the middle of interactive scripting or editing a file. How do you tell root to clam up?

Thanks,
tfj
Old 02/19/2013, 11:45 AM   #225 (permalink)
tfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Yeah, arrow keys are sometimes glitched. The others are caused by your fingers being too close and the touch panel interpreting it as one finger.
Well, this actually is not about the keyboard being cramped - the keys are literally unresponsive. I'm a hunt-and-peck typist, and I'm talking about hammering a key a dozen times and it still might not respond.

On the three lines below, I'll hit twenty 'c' characters, then twenty 'Shift-c' characters, then twenty 'Shift-m' characters (continuously pressing the shift key; temperature is around 55 F):

cccccccccccccccccccc (20 successes)

CCCCCCC (7 successes)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM (20 successes)

(the 7 'Shift-c' successes were scattered; 'Shift-m' typing gave irregular (delayed) key-press indications, but all twenty hits displayed)

Recently the TP was near-freezing, and I determined:
the 'c' key depresses only if you hit it along it's left edge;
the 'r' (and to lesser extent the 'f') keys reliably depress only if you hit them on their right half;
'Shift-c' (and to a lesser extent 'Shift-v' and Shift-b') rarely depress at all, while 'Shift-r' and 'Shift-f' work fine;
the 'Ctrl-' version of the 'c', 'v', 'b', 'r, and 'f' keys all depress normally (although only the 'c' does anything);
the right arrow key is most often frozen, but this can change quickly - sometimes the right key works fine,
but then the up or down arrow is usually frozen instead;
most other keys work normally.

I should mention that my TP screen is protected not only by a thin screen film, but also by the thicker carrier
film that you're supposed to remove, but I don't know why this would cause the anomalies, since most keys work fine.

Shift-c is the most consistently stubborn key I notice, even when it's fairly warm. I'm often at 50 or 60 degrees F, and when any of the arrow keys are stuck, it's just too tedious to write much of anything. Sometimes, at warm temps, a completely-frozen arrow key will be freed (at least briefly) by simply turning the TP off and back on. I don't know if this suggests a software problem or a power-distribution problem.

I wonder if this could possibly be a software issue, that could be fixed. Or maybe it has something to do with the graphical key positioning - if you think of the touchscreen as a grid, then maybe most keys are covering 'sweet-spots', but some are over 'four-corner' areas and aren't getting enough 'juice', or whatever; the problem seems concentrated at two places on the keyboard ('rfcvb' and the arrow keys). Maybe it's just 'normal' variation in the touchscreen, but it's irksome.

Last edited by tfj; 02/25/2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added info about turning TP off
Old 04/18/2013, 04:38 AM   #226 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabsmd View Post
I built and use the git version that provides a "sym" popup with everything anyone can need.
Could you or anybody else who has built the latest version with the "sym" popup, post somewhere the package?

I'm using the latest from the beta feed (0.4.0), but I'm unable to enter the '|' symbol. Btw. I have a Pre3 with german keyboard layout, so it's even harder...
tylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 12:37 PM   #227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylla View Post
Could you or anybody else who has built the latest version with the "sym" popup, post somewhere the package?

I'm using the latest from the beta feed (0.4.0), but I'm unable to enter the '|' symbol. Btw. I have a Pre3 with german keyboard layout, so it's even harder...
I put the packages on WebOS stuff. There is a build of the 0.4.1 and a modified version named wtermt (for test), as I wanted to keep the stable one running along.
And a patch file with what I changed.

Too bad I didn't notice earlier we can post zip here...
rabsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/05/2013, 08:02 PM   #228 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabsmd View Post
I put the packages on WebOS stuff. There is a build of the 0.4.1 and a modified version named wtermt (for test), as I wanted to keep the stable one running along.
And a patch file with what I changed.

Too bad I didn't notice earlier we can post zip here...
Hi,

Can you please also do a pull request on the GitHub repo for your patch?

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2014, 08:12 PM   #229 (permalink)

Changing the key bindings seems to be an easy way to gain acces to the pipe character "|" in wterm on your webOS phone. I'm using Sym+T for this purpose. Sym+@ or Sym+. may look as nice alternatives at a first glance, but Sym+. doesn't work in wterm, as entering "." is broken. Sym+@ doesn''t work either, don't know why. Sym+I could be another choice, but the standard linux Tab function can't be overwritten.

The key bindings can be declared in /etc/inputrc. Sadly, the plain-vanilla Bourne shell /bin/sh does not read this file, so you have to install bash beforehand (read as: install "Bourne Again Shell" via preware or WOQI). To get bash being the default shell, you may alter /etc/passwd accordingly.

Adding this code to /etc/inputrc will do the magic trick:
Code:
# Pipe on Ctrl+t for wTerm
"\C-t": "|"
Internalz Pro seems to be a wise choice for these changes, here you can use the Sym character selection box to get access to "\" and "|". Using the desktop keyboard via WOQI or SSH shell works as well.

Last edited by ZehHa; 04/15/2014 at 04:22 AM.
ZehHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vgg likes this.
Thanked by Grabber5.0, p41m3r, vgg
Old 04/15/2014, 12:59 PM   #230 (permalink)

Did create a patch from the above. Wanna try?
My first patch!
Attached Files
File Type: patch wTermPipe.patch (240 Bytes, 10 views) Email Attachment
ZehHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2014, 04:10 PM   #231 (permalink)

Thanks I'll check it out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2014, 03:09 AM   #232 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

How about creating a pull request from that patch and try to trigger the people to distribute an updated version via preware?

Ups.. just now read that you don't really modify wTerm but system files.. sorry.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0