webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > wTerm: The WebOS Terminal Emulator
wTerm: The WebOS Terminal Emulator
Like Tree17Likes

Old 03/17/2012, 12:59 AM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinbaIttai View Post
I've had no luck getting wTerm working on my pre3 at all - after install I get the "setup" menu (set root passwd etc) but then I get a grey screen with mini virtual keyboard down the bottom - no terminal window.

I get this error in /var/log/messages

2012-02-16T14:42:04.626312Z [897] webos-device user.warning activitymanager[1671]: [activitymanager.resourcecontainermanager] No container currently mapped for [BusId appId:us.ryanhope.wterm]

Any ideas why wTerm apparently works on other prełs but won't on mine?
Out of frustration with this over the past few weeks I finally took my phone on a trip to the Doctor, under the assumption that it must be something else (eg a patch) I had installed that was clashing.

I'm now sat here with a freshly doctored phone..All I've done is connect to my WiFi network, use WebOsQuickInstall to install Preware and then immediately install wTerm. It lauched, asked me to set a root password, and then presented me with that familiar grey screen.

and if I manually launch the wterm app from the commandline I get:

Am I on the right track with the "No container mapped" message, or is that unrelated?
Any other thoughts on how I can figure out what's causing this and more importantly how I can resolve it?

It's a UK Spec Pre3 with upgraded 16GB storage thanks to the webOS Internals team.
Old 03/18/2012, 12:32 PM   #202 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Hi all,

I have a problem to su to root. I searched the config files, the thread and the Internet but I'm not able to solve it.
When I try to su to root I get the following:
Code:
wterm@TP~$ su - root
Password:
': No such file or directory
wterm@TP~$
I checked /etc/passwd for the shell entry and it points to /bin/sh as it should. I also checked the .profile file in /var/home/root and it only contains the xtern entry.

I tried do remove wterm, rebooted and reinstalled wterm. Set a new root password. But all without any change.

What could be the problem?

HaPe
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 03:21 PM   #203 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
Hi all,

I have a problem to su to root. I searched the config files, the thread and the Internet but I'm not able to solve it.
When I try to su to root I get the following:
Code:
wterm@TP~$ su - root
Password:
': No such file or directory
wterm@TP~$
I checked /etc/passwd for the shell entry and it points to /bin/sh as it should. I also checked the .profile file in /var/home/root and it only contains the xtern entry.

I tried do remove wterm, rebooted and reinstalled wterm. Set a new root password. But all without any change.

What could be the problem?

HaPe
Look for a quote syntax error in your profile file.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 03:36 PM   #204 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
Hi Rod, for a test I renamed the .profile in /var/home/root still the same problem.

HaPe
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/19/2012, 07:25 PM   #205 (permalink)

Just installed 0.4.0 and have the 3/4 keyboard issue. I seem to be blind, where do I find the keyboard lock toggle?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 06:18 AM   #206 (permalink)

It's "rotation lock" you're looking for, and you will find it by tapping the clock or battery icon at the top-right of your screen.
Just turn it on and off and wTerm will be able to see the current state.
Old 05/15/2012, 05:51 PM   #207 (permalink)

Is there a way to set my WTerm preferences such that it opens as Root just like XTERM does?
Edit: Just to clarify, Setting the misc Preferences to root works when WTerm is started from its icon but when it is kicked off from Just Type, it starts as non-root wterm.

Also, is there a way to remove the Password that I set in Setup?

Last edited by Wheel_nut; 05/15/2012 at 07:14 PM.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/30/2012, 12:43 PM   #208 (permalink)

Is this a dead App?

PuffTheMagic hasn't posted since March
Old 05/30/2012, 03:24 PM   #209 (permalink)
Developer

It's open source - any developer can pick up where he left off...

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Old 05/31/2012, 11:08 AM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
It's open source - any developer can pick up where he left off...

-- Rod
Yes, but it would lose its Magic.
Old 05/31/2012, 06:54 PM   #211 (permalink)

This is a great app. Nice improvement over having to use xterm for sure, dead or not.
Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Mize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2012, 07:10 PM   #212 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mize View Post
This is a great app. Nice improvement over having to use xterm for sure, dead or not.
Fully agree. I hope someone takes up the challenge to continue its development.

-- Rod
Old 08/16/2012, 10:03 PM   #213 (permalink)

how do i press 1 2 3 4 / + - * etc in veer?

the modifier key is treated as alt, which mean when i press 1 (the modifier key + e) it becomes alt+1. which is treated as '1' (the alt is ignored) in /bin/sh, but treated at alt+1 in bash/python/vim etc, so i cannot type 1 in them
moo.tinys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/24/2012, 11:15 PM   #214 (permalink)

How to enter "|" sign?
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2012, 03:31 AM   #215 (permalink)

the key is on the right side of the keyboard, underneath the bksp arrow key, press the shift button at the same time as the | key
johnjaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2012, 12:40 PM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
Hello, I've got the same problem as rwhtiby, I have looked for .profile in /var/home/root but didn't find it, there is just .pulse-cookie file in that directory.
Has anybody another idea ?
--
Zepal
Zepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 10:57 PM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjaycee View Post
the key is on the right side of the keyboard, underneath the bksp arrow key, press the shift button at the same time as the | key
Anybody figure out a way to get the pipe on a phone (2.2.4) keyboard? That's the main thing this app is missing
cerenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 04:35 PM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjaycee View Post
The enter key is just that in all modes, no pipe in wterm.
Old 01/05/2013, 04:02 AM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerenoc View Post
Anybody figure out a way to get the pipe on a phone (2.2.4) keyboard? That's the main thing this app is missing
I built and use the git version that provides a "sym" popup with everything anyone can need.
Though, dot key is not working anymore in this version. I didn't took the time to debug that, and just added it as a virtual key. In the end, I reworked the popup layout so the extra keys I often use are easily accessible.

It's in the file "src/enyo/charSelector.js", array "chars" in object className 'enyo-popup charSelect'.

Someday if I'm not lazy, I'll try to figure out how to get another layer of mapping for the physical keys. So I can directly map everything I'm missing. But the current settings works well enough for what I do.
rabsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 07:31 PM   #220 (permalink)

Too busy with dissertation work to spend any time on mobile apps let alone fix bugs for wTerm on such old webOS hardware.
PuffTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0