webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Sprint Franken Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4
Sprint Franken Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4
Like Tree5Likes

Old 12/22/2011, 10:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYravefever View Post
Thanks for trying to help troubleshoot. I'll keep trying, starting from scratch each time. Worse case, I'll just bite the bullet and metadoctor to 2.2.4 (didn't get OTA System Updates keeps showing "Checking for updates"+spinner)

UPDATE: Just looked into my /var/log/updated.log, and it seems that it is stuck at carrier check (I'm guessing) since the output says, "Check the DMCARRIER token for a build mismatch."

UPDATE2 + QUESTION: In reading the thread/post regarding getBT script (How to install webOS 2.1.0 on Pre+ and Pre- using the Meta-Doctor), it sounds like 1) it references a doctor file within meta-doctor directory, and 2) I may need to run the test verizon script. Can anyone confirm?
the older script required the pre2 2.2.4 unpacked, the new getbt script downloads and unpacks if not downloaded and unpacked...

so you just need to run the getbt which will produce the bt.tar file which needs to untared then copied files to root of pre+ or pre2...
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2011, 02:51 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
the older script required the pre2 2.2.4 unpacked, the new getbt script downloads and unpacks if not downloaded and unpacked...

so you just need to run the getbt which will produce the bt.tar file which needs to untared then copied files to root of pre+ or pre2...
Made headway, but still not at the finish line. Turns out that I didn't extract the tar before copying over to /media/internal/bt. (Doh!) Was able to pair w/TP (3.0.4), but couldn't get SMS going. Upon pairing, my TP reads, "Unable to connect Messaging (MAP) profile." My voicemail icon made it over. See screenshot.

On my Pre2, I do see the option to "mirror SMS," so I'm guessing the problem lies on the TP side... Is there suppose to be an option on the TP side, if MAP pairing is successful?

Within Bluetooth Preferences, tried deleting the TP on the phone & vice versa, then pairing it again. Also tried restarting each device several times as well. Nothing.

One last note, turning off Bluetooth on Pre2 is now hit-and-miss. Sometimes it'll turn off gracefully, other times, it ends with the device freezing & requiring battery pull.
Attached Images
File Type: png bluetooth_2011-23-12_000044.png (43.8 KB, 10 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by SKYravefever; 12/23/2011 at 03:03 AM.
SKYravefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2011, 11:57 AM   #43 (permalink)

I can't make phone calls since the OTA update. I type in the number and then select the call button and the number vanishes and nothing happens. I can call voicemail, dial numbers less the six digits and it make the call, but if I dial a seven digit number it does not work. I can receive calls also. Any ideas?
settelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2011, 12:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by settelma View Post
I can't make phone calls since the OTA update. I type in the number and then select the call button and the number vanishes and nothing happens. I can call voicemail, dial numbers less the six digits and it make the call, but if I dial a seven digit number it does not work. I can receive calls also. Any ideas?
Your best bet is to just doctor the phone. You could try a Full Erase, but I'll doubt that will work. Have you tried resetting the phone as well? If you have patches, then run the EPR.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: settelma
Old 12/24/2011, 04:05 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYravefever View Post
Made headway, but still not at the finish line. Turns out that I didn't extract the tar before copying over to /media/internal/bt. (Doh!) Was able to pair w/TP (3.0.4), but couldn't get SMS going. Upon pairing, my TP reads, "Unable to connect Messaging (MAP) profile." My voicemail icon made it over. See screenshot.

On my Pre2, I do see the option to "mirror SMS," so I'm guessing the problem lies on the TP side... Is there suppose to be an option on the TP side, if MAP pairing is successful?

Within Bluetooth Preferences, tried deleting the TP on the phone & vice versa, then pairing it again. Also tried restarting each device several times as well. Nothing.

One last note, turning off Bluetooth on Pre2 is now hit-and-miss. Sometimes it'll turn off gracefully, other times, it ends with the device freezing & requiring battery pull.
I had the same problem... The database that holds the Bluetooth config needs to be updated...for me as I stated in the thread I paired then had my phone lock up... Did battery pull. Then next time it worked.. No more lock ups....

the most important thing is to make sure you copy the entire content of the bt.tar (extracted) some files might be in use hence the renaming to .old.. Some had soft links they needed to remove so all the files get copied...

once you have all the files and the database gets updated to handle the new Bluetooth profiles... I have not had any more lock ups and Bluetooth turns on and off without any issue...

if you want pm me we can setup time to walk thru it step by step..
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: SKYravefever
Old 12/24/2011, 11:25 AM   #46 (permalink)

i'm getting the following error when attempting to update using the meta doctor:

Dec 24, 2011 11:20:21 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
INFO: Device has been disconnected. Command: put file:///tmp/settz.sh

Dec 24, 2011 11:20:21 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
INFO: trenchcoat retries exhausted

Dec 24, 2011 11:20:21 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
WARNING: Flash Failure
err -1 "Trenchcoat failure, retries exhausted"
at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:483)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:21 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1324743621675
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:21 AM com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
INFO: from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.lck
INFO: to /tmp/palmInstallerError0.log
INFO: from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.1
INFO: to /tmp/palmInstallerError1.log
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:23 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:23 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
err -1 "Trenchcoat failure, retries exhausted"
at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:483)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:24 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
INFO: got controller
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:24 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
INFO: got devices 1
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:24 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
INFO: device runner done
Dec 24, 2011 11:20:24 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card

Any ideas?

Thanks
forsytsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2011, 12:07 PM   #47 (permalink)

I'm not sure yet (Wifey updated even tho I told her not to) but it looks like they might have moved the PIN code into the binary [like they did in 3.x on the TP] in 2.2.4 (Bypass PIN worked fine in 2.1).

The gotcha here is that if you had a pin set and used the Bypass PIN patch (you (or she) probably don't remember what your/her pin was). When your wifey updates her phone even tho you warned her at least 5 times over the last month to not do any updates on her phone if it asks, um then your (um her) phone is locked and YOU are screwed. QuickInstall and/or Commandline access won't even help. Unless we can figure out how to (without getting into the phone) either remove the EAS account that is forcing the PIN/Reset the PIN/Find the current PIN/patch the binaries or new enyo pin code (whichever it is), even a Doctor/Restore won't help. The doc will wipe the phone and get it back to a working state, but any attempt to restore the profile will put the PIN requirement back.

research ensuing ...
AMR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2011, 04:35 PM   #48 (permalink)

Bypass PIN fixed - Sounds like it wasn't in the binary after all - just needed to track down the right js file...

lingfish found the correct line in the new js code and uncommented it out with a new patch (can't for the life of me figure out how I missed it - palm even left a friendly comment for us) - released for all current vers (including 3.x on the TP).

And for future reference, all I had to do to get out of the mess in the above post was to doctor again and set a new pin before profile sync. I forgot that the PIN is not stored in your profile. Kinda the same fix/process we found after first frankenin our devices and forgetting that a PIN was set before the process on the original phone and we wiped it out during the process. Then installing the patches via the restore process thereby bypassing the required nonexistant PIN. This caused the dialer to lockup (when it is trying to access the EAS addressbook). Reference Thread: phone app hangs on 'homebrew pre2' WebOS 2.1
AMR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 12:10 AM   #49 (permalink)

First thanks Abyssul for getting the scripts completed. Well I took the plunge and bought a used Pre 2. I had been running a Sprint Pre Plus with 2.1.0.

I transferred the Sprint Comm-Board to the Pre2/unlocked and ran the Sprint Pre 2 unlocked scripts on WebOs Internals pages. Everything seem to go fine and the Doctor installed without any issue. Everything seems to be fine, calls, texting, web surfing (expect the small text) all working.

Only issue and it almost makes the phone unusable. The phone resets numerous times throughout the day. It can be setting on the charger or in the middle of just about any app. The reset is the to HP logo so I'm assuming it is a luna reset. I can't seem to track down any specific app that is causing it. I have noticed that PDK apps don't seem to cause the resets.

The resets are probably in excess of 40 times a day. Very discouraging. I have re-doctored the phone several times to include re-running the meta-doctor scripts with no change. Created a new profile with no added apps and the resets still occur.

With or without Preware installed the resets occur. With or without patches they occur.

As far as I can tell the phone was a stock unlocked Pre2. I was not able to test the phone under 2.1.0.

Anyone seeing the same issues.

ALSO: Same process for my mothers Pre- conversion to a Pre 2. Same Meta-Doctor except her phone is working great. No a single reset in 4 days.

Is there any way to pull a log to see what the errors might be? Lumberjack does not seems to be showing anything (if I'm using it right)
Old 12/30/2011, 12:47 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
Your best bet is to just doctor the phone. You could try a Full Erase, but I'll doubt that will work. Have you tried resetting the phone as well? If you have patches, then run the EPR.
After your suggestion I ran the doctor from the palm site thinking it was 2.2.4, it was actually 2.1. The phone worked great with no problems, reinstalled all the patches and was able to make phone calls with no problem. So I decided to update 2.2.4, using the meta doctor. I first ran EPR and backed up all my files. I then ran the meta doctor and installed with no problems. everything works, except I can't make any phone calls out. I can skype, but can't make a direct phone call. This was the same symptom as before. I can dial 411 or any number Up to six digits and it will make the call, but if I dial a seven digit phone number it does nothing.

update: With the 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 versions my phone preference carrier shows Sprint, but in device info under hardware, network, it shows Verizon. I assume this is ok?

I am not sure I understand tokens and how they work, could this be an issue? If so, why would the older version work and the latest update not?

Last edited by settelma; 12/30/2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12/30/2011, 05:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Quote:
After your suggestion I ran the doctor from the palm site thinking it was 2.2.4, it was actually 2.1. The phone worked great with no problems, reinstalled all the patches and was able to make phone calls with no problem. So I decided to update 2.2.4, using the meta doctor. I first ran EPR and backed up all my files. I then ran the meta doctor and installed with no problems. everything works, except I can't make any phone calls out. I can skype, but can't make a direct phone call. This was the same symptom as before. I can dial 411 or any number Up to six digits and it will make the call, but if I dial a seven digit phone number it does nothing.

update: With the 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 versions my phone preference carrier shows Sprint, but in device info under hardware, network, it shows Verizon. I assume this is ok?

I am not sure I understand tokens and how they work, could this be an issue? If so, why would the older version work and the latest update not?
Having the Device Info app report Verizon is intended and will not affect anything. Did you get 2.2.4 fully running with the metadoctor? I replied to your PM before this post.

Check your regional settings for the digit phone problem. I assume you are in the US. It might be a Palm Profile problem. Only way to find out is to log into a different profile.

Last edited by Abyssul; 12/30/2011 at 05:36 PM.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 05:37 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Having the Device Info app report Verizon is intended and will not affect anything. Did you get 2.2.4 fully running with the metadoctor? I replied to your PM before this post.
check to see if you have international dialing turned on in the phone prefs... Turn off if you do. I think that'll fix that 6 digit dialing problem.
oakridge outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 06:12 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:

Check your regional settings for the digit phone problem. I assume you are in the US. It might be a Palm Profile problem. Only way to find out is to log into a different profile.
I got it running with the meta doctor 2.2.4, but had the same problem calling out. I then got an OTA update notice and downloaded that hoping it would fix it. When I revert back to 2.1.0, I have no problems. I am in the US and just verified the regional settings to be correct. If a create a new profile will that destroy me prior app purchases? I can recover all my data, but don't want to have to purchase apps again.

Last edited by settelma; 12/30/2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12/30/2011, 06:15 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
check to see if you have international dialing turned on in the phone prefs... Turn off if you do. I think that'll fix that 6 digit dialing problem.
Thanks, I had already checked that, but not joy.
Old 12/30/2011, 10:18 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
I got it running with the meta doctor 2.2.4, but had the same problem calling out. I then got an OTA update notice and downloaded that hoping it would fix it. When I revert back to 2.1.0, I have no problems. I am in the US and just verified the regional settings to be correct. If a create a new profile will that destroy me prior app purchases? I can recover all my data, but don't want to have to purchase apps again.
Ok, I created a new profile and it works. I can call out on the new one, but can't on the old one. So can I transfer my apps to the new one? Is there any way of fixing a profile?

Update: First I want to thank Abyssul for the assistance! Abyssul recommended I shutoff backup and re-doctor 2.2.4. Since shutting off backup erases your data, I thought I would try using the old profile once more after erasing the backup. I ran a full erase on the phone and then re-logged in using my old profile. That seemed to worked, something in the profile was hanging it up.

Everything seems to work except the sprint tv. Not sure if anyone knows the trick to the tv app, but at least the phone works now.

Last edited by settelma; 12/31/2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Resolution
Old 01/27/2012, 05:44 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
First thanks Abyssul for getting the scripts completed. Well I took the plunge and bought a used Pre 2. I had been running a Sprint Pre Plus with 2.1.0.

I transferred the Sprint Comm-Board to the Pre2/unlocked and ran the Sprint Pre 2 unlocked scripts on WebOs Internals pages. Everything seem to go fine and the Doctor installed without any issue. Everything seems to be fine, calls, texting, web surfing (expect the small text) all working.

Only issue and it almost makes the phone unusable. The phone resets numerous times throughout the day. It can be setting on the charger or in the middle of just about any app. The reset is the to HP logo so I'm assuming it is a luna reset. I can't seem to track down any specific app that is causing it. I have noticed that PDK apps don't seem to cause the resets.

The resets are probably in excess of 40 times a day. Very discouraging. I have re-doctored the phone several times to include re-running the meta-doctor scripts with no change. Created a new profile with no added apps and the resets still occur.

With or without Preware installed the resets occur. With or without patches they occur.

As far as I can tell the phone was a stock unlocked Pre2. I was not able to test the phone under 2.1.0.

Anyone seeing the same issues.

ALSO: Same process for my mothers Pre- conversion to a Pre 2. Same Meta-Doctor except her phone is working great. No a single reset in 4 days.

Is there any way to pull a log to see what the errors might be? Lumberjack does not seems to be showing anything (if I'm using it right)
I'm having the exact same Luna restart issue w/ a Verizon com board in my Unlocked Pre2. No Joy - is yours still doing this? Ed
Cartersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2012, 06:01 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartersfarm View Post
I'm having the exact same Luna restart issue w/ a Verizon com board in my Unlocked Pre2. No Joy - is yours still doing this? Ed
Yes and no. I replaced the phone with another PRE2 and not a single reset over the last week and LOVING it.

With the other phone I re-installed the unlocked GSM-Comm board. Doctored, re-doctored, erased USB drive and several full erases. Got a cheap T-Mobile simm. The phone went over 18 hours with out a reset on a dummy profile. So far three resets in the last day. This is way down from the 40+ I was getting.

I wish I knew what the was on the phone to begin with. I don't know what may have been installed. My phone did not have so much as a scratch on it.

There must be some way above and beyond the normal doctor and secure erase to make sure that you have a completely stock device.
Old 03/09/2012, 11:09 AM   #58 (permalink)

has anybody seen a meta-doctored sprint pre 2 running 2.2.4 say that it wants to download an OTA update to 2.2.4? because that what i'm seeing...

nevermind. i really should have taken the time to read the forums before I actually posted a question (which was answered in the OP)

Last edited by coveredwagonkid; 03/09/2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: stupidity
coveredwagonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 11:43 AM   #59 (permalink)

Help with texting?

I did my best to follow all steps to do my first Franken Pre2 on Sprint last night (I know, late to the game), but when I got to the part where webOS Doctor says to connect the phone (new Verizon Pre2 not activated), I was unable to begin the DR without going ahead and signing in with my Profile.

The phone automatically checked that it was activated, then prompted for my profile (again not registering as connected to the DR). I logged in and the phone synced all my apps (from Pre- and Touchpad). I was pretty pumped. Even tried a phone call, it worked. I called it a night (at 4am).

And I guess the roaming profile can get pulled from the Palm profile? I did update the preferred roaming list and back it up (to a now broken Linux store). However, I never ran the DR and I never copied the list over, but there it is, in my settings with the current Sprint preferred roaming list.

I found out this morning that I cannot text anyone, all texts fail. Super bummed now, because I was feeling like I wouldn't have to try to go back and kickoff a DR (especially since I can't seem to get Linux to boot anymore either, that's 4-6 hours of config, setup, and my backup files in the toilet if I can't get that figured out (hangs on boot)).

So, it sounds like, with everything looking great (no fuzzy notifications or whatnot like others report), superfast app loading, and all my apps back, I'm going to have to wipe it all with a new DR now?

Any help on if I can get texting working without having to reconfig another Linux setup and run a DR, or is it back to the drawing board, just to get texting?

End result has me at 2.0.1
metro72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 09:38 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro72 View Post
Help with texting?

I did my best to follow all steps to do my first Franken Pre2 on Sprint last night (I know, late to the game), but when I got to the part where webOS Doctor says to connect the phone (new Verizon Pre2 not activated), I was unable to begin the DR without going ahead and signing in with my Profile.

The phone automatically checked that it was activated, then prompted for my profile (again not registering as connected to the DR). I logged in and the phone synced all my apps (from Pre- and Touchpad). I was pretty pumped. Even tried a phone call, it worked. I called it a night (at 4am).

And I guess the roaming profile can get pulled from the Palm profile? I did update the preferred roaming list and back it up (to a now broken Linux store). However, I never ran the DR and I never copied the list over, but there it is, in my settings with the current Sprint preferred roaming list.

I found out this morning that I cannot text anyone, all texts fail. Super bummed now, because I was feeling like I wouldn't have to try to go back and kickoff a DR (especially since I can't seem to get Linux to boot anymore either, that's 4-6 hours of config, setup, and my backup files in the toilet if I can't get that figured out (hangs on boot)).

So, it sounds like, with everything looking great (no fuzzy notifications or whatnot like others report), superfast app loading, and all my apps back, I'm going to have to wipe it all with a new DR now?

Any help on if I can get texting working without having to reconfig another Linux setup and run a DR, or is it back to the drawing board, just to get texting?

End result has me at 2.0.1
So, I got my Ubuntu up and running again, but when I try to run a doctor, tried 2, the 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 version, neither identified that the Pre2 was connected.

I also tried novacom from the terminal and it said there was no device found.

I tried the method of shutting down, taking out the battery, plugging in the cable, waiting for power sign, then holding up volume rocker while putting battery back in...but I didn't get a usb logo, it just automatically kicked off the boot process and went into the OS then prompted the usual USB Drive or just Charge prompt. Still not recognized.

Any ideas?
metro72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0