webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > A-1 Skyraider Kernel for Pre3
A-1 Skyraider Kernel for Pre3
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By unixpsycho

Old 11/07/2011, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

This Thread is for feedback on A-1 Skyraider kernel. This is not a "How-To thread", this is for serious testers only. Spamming the thread with irrelevance will most likely get you flamed by someone.

Kernels are available. Check your local neighborhood beta testing feed.

When posting problems or bugs please specify kernel name and version.

This kernel is ever changing and may sometimes not boot.

Basic guidelines for install:

• You know how to doctor
  • You have some kind of idea how to do a memboot.
  • You know something about Linux, not necessarily a guru.
  • You can do basic debugging in case of crash or hang.
  • You have a strong command of how to use a webOS device.

After installing kernel, do a full power off.

Features in common codebase:

• 1.9GHz
  • Screenstate
  • Lagfree
  • SIO
  • NFS & CIFS
  • debugging code left in (on purpose)
  • Numerous patches for performance

All bug reports should be qualified by running CLI commands to determine it is a kernel problem and not a UI problem. All complaints or crying with no CLI paste will be ignored!

Recovery: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Memboot recovery kernel: XXX

How to memboot after finding out your device wears pink underwear:

Put your device into recovery mode.

Newer versions of the SDK will say "HP webOS" in the directory name instead of "Palm".

Run novacom:

Linux:
Code:
/opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage
Windows:

Code:
cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin novacom boot mem:// < uImage
Mac: (Contributed by sd_matto)
Code:

1. Install PalmSDK (and novacom drives therein). This will install the necessary novacom binary (under /opt/nova/bin) and add that to your program path
  2. Download the stock kernel (from links above)
  3. Open Terminal window (under /Applications/Utilities)
  4. Type "cd ~/Downloads" (or other path to your downloaded kernel)
  5. Type "novacom boot mem:// < uImage"

Last edited by unixpsycho; 12/03/2011 at 07:33 PM.
unixpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jc-Treo, everythingsablur and xjstattoo like this.
Old 11/07/2011, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Should have called it blackbird LOL man this must scream

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
major payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Been running this for almost 24 hours and its totally stable! Camera works just fine still. Loving it so far, man! Thanks so much!
Volcom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks unixpsycho! 've been running it for about 18 hours. Pretty stable, though I was having a laggy morning that I blame on Govnah using the wrong profile.

At idle I see no difference in power consumption (as one would expect for idle since all kernals should drop to the minimum frequency at idle) at < -10 mA. At load clocked to 1.9 GHz I'm seeing it go as high as about -560 mA. Will run some more prolonged tests to monitor power consumption.

So far so good though. My device feels pretty stable, but it noticeably more spirited in my day-to-day tasks.

Palm lineage:
PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
Should have called it blackbird LOL man this must scream
SR71 Blackbird was already used for my old Pre kernel .
Old 11/07/2011, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
Thanks unixpsycho! 've been running it for about 18 hours. Pretty stable, though I was having a laggy morning that I blame on Govnah using the wrong profile.

At idle I see no difference in power consumption (as one would expect for idle since all kernals should drop to the minimum frequency at idle) at < -10 mA. At load clocked to 1.9 GHz I'm seeing it go as high as about -560 mA. Will run some more prolonged tests to monitor power consumption.

So far so good though. My device feels pretty stable, but it noticeably more spirited in my day-to-day tasks.
The current voltages I'm using aren't necessarily optimal yet. You can play with the voltages to see what's stable for you until I settle on better voltages good for everyone.
Old 11/07/2011, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

So far I've lowered the voltage on my unit for the 1.4 and 1.53ghz marks down to 1200Mv and my phone still seems stable. Below 1200, I started getting screen artifacts under highload. I'm working on tweaking the other ranges as well.
Nightburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

So, I'm still on the first kernel, haven't updated to today's update yet, but wanted to note that it seems my MMS picture sending/receiving is broken with this kernel.
Volcom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2011, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Unix, set "screenstate enable" to 1 to turn on this new hybrid ondemand/screenstate option?
Nightburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2011, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
Unix, set "screenstate enable" to 1 to turn on this new hybrid ondemand/screenstate option?
Yes, and select your "SS Max Freq" (Govnah update on it's way)

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2012, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Can someone please explain in full detail what this "lagfree" setting does?

Also how does it affect battery life compared to OndemandTickle

Thanks
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/05/2012, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
Can someone please explain in full detail what this "lagfree" setting does?

Also how does it affect battery life compared to OndemandTickle

Thanks
Let me google that for you

It does the exact *opposite* of ondemand, providing barely any lag.
Old 01/06/2012, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Unix:

Wanted to post an update. Been running the A-1 since early december and I have had no issues with it and fairly decent battery life.
My parameters are currently as follows:

Lagfree
368 Mhz Min
1.68 Mhz Max
.5 sampling rate
3 Sampling down factor
50% Up Threshold
20% Down Threshold
Ignore Nice = True
Freq Step Down = 108000
Freq Sleep Max = 368640
Freq Awaken Min = 368640
Freq Step Up = 20
Voltages = 800 / 800 / 800 / 850 / 900 / 950 / 1000 / 1050 / 1200 / 1200 / 1325 / 1375
Compcache = True
Comp Memlimit = 24MB
IO = SIO
TCP = Reno
Old 01/06/2012, 10:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
Let me google that for you

It does the exact *opposite* of ondemand, providing barely any lag.
I did goodle "Lagfree" and nothing came up....
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 05:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

quick question for anyone in the know, i tried this kernel again, but had issues with my device menu missing information and govenor losing all its configs and marking every single option as "N/A" so went back to uberkernel.

i did note however that even with this kernel removed and uberkernel put back in place 2 of the extra I/O Schedulers that a-1 provided now show while running uberkernel, so ive picked SIO (which didnt show in uberkernel originally) and it still shows as in use in govenor, but is that an incorrect display or has uberkernel somehow picked up an I/O scheduler that should only list in a-1.

cheers.
Old 01/10/2013, 11:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
quick question for anyone in the know, i tried this kernel again, but had issues with my device menu missing information and govenor losing all its configs and marking every single option as "N/A" so went back to uberkernel.

i did note however that even with this kernel removed and uberkernel put back in place 2 of the extra I/O Schedulers that a-1 provided now show while running uberkernel, so ive picked SIO (which didnt show in uberkernel originally) and it still shows as in use in govenor, but is that an incorrect display or has uberkernel somehow picked up an I/O scheduler that should only list in a-1.

cheers.
Usually the only time Govnah displays "NA" is when you are using a newer kernel than what Govnah recognizes. Always make sure Govnah is up to date. You can always use the command line to verify the sysfs fields are indeed reporting NA or not.

Other than that, Uberkernel is nothing more than a stable build of the beta kernels. So features would be the same on both.

Almost sounds like you got a bad install somehow.
Old 01/10/2013, 11:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Usually the only time Govnah displays "NA" is when you are using a newer kernel than what Govnah recognizes. Always make sure Govnah is up to date. You can always use the command line to verify the sysfs fields are indeed reporting NA or not.

Other than that, Uberkernel is nothing more than a stable build of the beta kernels. So features would be the same on both.

Almost sounds like you got a bad install somehow.
i think id read the help inside govnah and assumed it mentioned that some features like I/O/govnah settings were only available on differing kernels, my uberkernels always had very few to choose from, this one had several more and i thought ooooh, ive now got the smartass govnah to try and IO schedulers like SIO/VR and some other 1 i cant remember atm to try out.

its deffo weird tho, after removing this kernel and putting uberkernel back i can choose the IO shedulers that were only showing in a-1, tho cpu govenors that showed when using a-1 like smartassv2 dont show when im back on uberkernel, i assumed this was a normal difference of the kernels in question.

should all the govenors and IO shedulers show up in govnah regardless of which kernel we have?, so far i do have those differences with uberkernel and a-1, i havent yet tried warthog to see if theres more differences tho.

so far when i press help on the govenors and io schedulers, i never see the whole list of whats shown in help.
Old 01/11/2013, 07:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i think id read the help inside govnah and assumed it mentioned that some features like I/O/govnah settings were only available on differing kernels, my uberkernels always had very few to choose from, this one had several more and i thought ooooh, ive now got the smartass govnah to try and IO schedulers like SIO/VR and some other 1 i cant remember atm to try out.

its deffo weird tho, after removing this kernel and putting uberkernel back i can choose the IO shedulers that were only showing in a-1, tho cpu govenors that showed when using a-1 like smartassv2 dont show when im back on uberkernel, i assumed this was a normal difference of the kernels in question.

should all the govenors and IO shedulers show up in govnah regardless of which kernel we have?, so far i do have those differences with uberkernel and a-1, i havent yet tried warthog to see if theres more differences tho.

so far when i press help on the govenors and io schedulers, i never see the whole list of whats shown in help.
Sounds like it's the default kernel.

Can you verify the A1 kernel does indeed get installed. Govnah should display the kernel version. It displays whatever is in the sysfs.
Old 01/11/2013, 09:03 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like it's the default kernel.

Can you verify the A1 kernel does indeed get installed. Govnah should display the kernel version. It displays whatever is in the sysfs.
yup, both a-1 and uberkernel names show "Govnah v1.3.9 xxxxkernel-version#"

in my current case "Govnah v1.3.9 UberKernel-38", and a1 shows as "Govnah v1.3.9 A1-42"

Uberkernel Govenors listed.
conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersave, ondemandtcl, performance

Uberkernel IO shedulers listed.
noop,anticipatory, deadline, cfq, bfq

vr and sio now show up in uberkernel but only when id previously installed a-1 for testing.

when i install a-1 i get a different list of govenors which is:
A-1 Govenors listed.
conservative, ondemand, lagfree, smartassV2, screenstate, ondemandtcl, performance

A-1 IO schedulers listed.
noop anticipatory, deadline, vr, sio

so some show in both but not in all

cheers for the info btw, dont wanna end up wasting your time or anything, ive just been on another mission to try and push my battery power as far as possible again, so have been swapping kernels again as they seem to offer different features to test out.

reinstalled a-1 again, so far my govnah settings havent broken like before.

Tags
a-1, skyraider

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0