Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    i am thinking about buying the touchstone charger for my touchpad. i have one reservation which might change my mind. does overclocking around 1.5GHz - 1.7GHz affect the touchstone charge? i've read from another forum that USB charging an oc'ed tp yields undesirable results.
    I have not had any problems charging via Touchstone on an overclocked TP, or via USB for that matter. The only difference I notice is that when actually running full bore (at 1.5 or 1.7 GHz), the TP uses more power. When the device is idling (as it likely is if you're charging it overnight), then it drops to the same power consumption level as a non-oc'd TouchPad.

What undesirable affects have you heard? I've not noticed any.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post

What undesirable affects have you heard? I've not noticed any.
    It was from an unsupported forum. Maybe they were running full throttle (2 cores) while charging and the tp was discharging faster than the laptop was charging.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    I have not had any problems charging via Touchstone on an overclocked TP, or via USB for that matter. The only difference I notice is that when actually running full bore (at 1.5 or 1.7 GHz), the TP uses more power. When the device is idling (as it likely is if you're charging it overnight), then it drops to the same power consumption level as a non-oc'd TouchPad.
    yes, I was mostly concerned about overnight charging. i'm glad you didn't come across any problem. thanks for the confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadph View Post
    It was from an unsupported forum. Maybe they were running full throttle (2 cores) while charging and the tp was discharging faster than the laptop was charging.
    I notice that more when I leave my TouchPad plugged into my computer over USB. It's completely normal/expected though as a USB 1.0/2.0 port is only designed to output 500 mA of power, whereas the TouchPad's charger is 2000 mA. Slight difference. I can usually get a slow charge out of a USB 3.0 port as it allows for 1000 mA of current, which is what the Pre 3 wall wart charger can output. And those are max capacities; most USB ports won't push out that level of power.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Slight difference
    hehe..

Thanks for the feedback friend. You sold me on the HP Touchstone.
    You can't charge the touchpad through normal USB from a computer. You have to use the HP branded ones. Even my palm pre chargers and touchstones do not work. Nor do normal aftermarket wall to USB chargers.

It is not due to overclocking. That person was mistaken.

My Touchpad charges fine at 1.9ghz and a touchstone. Under use or not.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 10/28/2011 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Lame touchpad autocorrect