Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by baldric View Post
    --- Logical volume ---
    LV Name /dev/store/extfs
    Should be /dev/store/ext3fs - did you make the fatal mistake of creating it manually instead of using Meta-Doctor or Tailor?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Yes I did :-(.

Can it be modified, or do I need to wipe, remove and re-install?

Thanks again,
    Baldric

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    All working now.

I did the following:
    >umount /dev/mapper/store-extfs
    >lvrename store extfs ext3fs

Edited my /etc/fstab to point to /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs

>mount -a

It its all good and shows up in Tailor.

Baldric

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    What condition is this app in?

0% being non-existant
    80% being suitable for normal preware audience
    100% being faultless

because I just cant read the jargon about meta doctor
    its giving me a headache

i really want ubuntu chroot working and would prefere not to boot up my old clunky laptop

thanks in advance
  5.    #85  
    It's in the Preware beta testing feed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    thanks I will have a look
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I checked tailor and i have a ext3fs partition detected. Is the fstab file in /ect the one that is holding the memory? I was manually creating and got to the echo command but it won't run completely. Any suggestions?

UPDATE

Recreated the partition but can someone post the correct fstab file?
    Last edited by Remolten; 01/18/2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelight0 View Post
    What condition is this app in?

0% being non-existant
    80% being suitable for normal preware audience
    100% being faultless

because I just cant read the jargon about meta doctor
    its giving me a headache

i really want ubuntu chroot working and would prefere not to boot up my old clunky laptop

thanks in advance
    I deleted and re-created my chroot with tailor, worked great
    EDIT: that would be the ext3fs partition, not the chroot itself of course
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
    Going to use Tailor on a live device (entire usb drive is backed up offline) and was going to follow these confirmed instructions Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing to create a 4 gig partion for ubuntu.

However, before I start as this is not an 'empty' 16GB TP; I want to confirm what I am seeing on Tailor before following through.

(a) When I first open Tailor, I see the mounted USB(media) at 12.641GiB(12944MiB) and unused space of only 8MiB;
    (b) After unmounting the USB(media) and checking filesystem; is this where I would 'downsize' the usb media from 12944MiB to 8848MiB (4024MiB or 4GiB) ??

This is the step that I worry about.
    The rest of the instructions from the post above make obvious sense and should follow on smoothly. Can someone confirm I am on the right track with my query in (b).

TIA!

- Thomas
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Yes

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!
    Damn....get the service error: mount - can't find /media/ext3fs in /etc/fstab

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Damn....get the service error: mount - can't find /media/ext3fs in /etc/fstab

I had to manually edit fstab, check the chroot wiki page for the line that needs to be added
    Quote Originally Posted by pfaffa View Post
    I had to manually edit fstab, check the chroot wiki page for the line that needs to be added
    Not sure which line from the wiki is relevant; BUT I was able to remove the attempted partition and resize USB(media) back to where it was before. And so far, I have not found any borked files (e.g. photos, memos).

So my understanding of Tailor is now accurate! :lol
    Just gotta get over this bump and will be ubuntu-ing shortly.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    i had to manually edit to

just insert this into the second line (just press enter and make a new line)

dev/mapper/store-ext3fs media/ext3fs auto noatime 0 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Remolten View Post
    i had to manually edit to

just insert this into the second line (just press enter and make a new line)

dev/mapper/store-ext3fs media/ext3fs auto noatime 0 0
    I thought that might be the correct line.
    Do I insert the line "prior" to creating the partition in Tailor? Or afterwards.
    I thought that might be the correct line.
    Do I insert the line "prior" to creating the partition in Tailor? Or afterwards.
    Well, I believe I have done it.
    I followed the process from here up to mounting the ext3 partition: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3245729

When it threw the error notice regarding /etc/fstab; I left tailor open;
    I went to the metadoctor wiki on the browser; opened up xterm and peformed the following commands from the metadoctor wiki:
    If your device does NOT have a folder at /media/ext3fs then you will need to create it first. Use the following two commands:

mount -o remount,rw /
    mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
    it is important that you use /media/ext3fs as the location, otherwise some homebrew applications (such as Optware and the Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot) will not be able to find it and use it properly.

After you have created the mountpoint, we are going to edit the fstab file to set it up to mount at bootup.

mount -o remount,rw / *****Not necessary if you performed the previous steps, but doesn't hurt if you do it twice

echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

Now to get it mounted you have several options, the best one is the first command as it will use the data in /etc/fstab. If that works, then you have done this correctly and your ext3fs will mount at bootup.

mount -a
    Full reboot; checked Tailor; shows both /media/internal and /media/ext3fs as mounted.
    Well my ubunut chroot install did not go as planned; though not terribly.

After successfully mounting the ext3fs; I install the chroot through preware; that worked fine.

Went to xecutah; started the chroot; and wanted to install lxde amongst other things.
    I think my internet connection was dodgy; so lxde was not installing correctly, so I decided to use the oppotunity to 'unwind' everything I had done so far.

Rebooted, uninstall the chroot with preware.
    Rebooted, opened xterm and entered the instructions found here:
    Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals
    Opened tailor, unmounted /media/internal, check filesystem, then reclaimed the prior 4096 MiB back to /media/internal and remounted /media/internal

Tailor works great! Thanks Rod and webosinternals!

Then reboot
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Someone suggested I post this here instead of the general Touchpad forum. Any help appreciated!

I have the 32GB TP. I had installed CM7 back in the fall. Worked great but had issues with the Wi-fi disconnecting so I uninstalled and went back to WebOS. Fast forward to Feb ... I gave CM9 a shot and really liked the enhanced interface. Curious to see how much drive space each OS was using I checked Tailor and this is what I have:

USB (media): 21.523 GiB
    Android (system): 304 MiB
    Android (cache): 200 MiB
    Android (data): 1.5 GiB
    Unused Space: 4.016 GiB

How to reallocate that 4.016 back to WebOS? It does not appear that this can be done in Tailor. I can only create an ext3 partition with the unused space in Tailor. How to I give that unused space back to the USB (media) so that it's back to being 25GiB like it was before the CM7 uninstall?
    Generally speaking, one would unmount the usb media, check filesystem, resize as desired, check filesystem, then mount usb. All from Tailor.

Good posts to look at:
    Here Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing

and here:
    Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing

If all you are doing is reclaiming the unused space back to USB; these posts have those steps.

Quote Originally Posted by 149113 View Post
    Someone suggested I post this here instead of the general Touchpad forum. Any help appreciated!

I have the 32GB TP. I had installed CM7 back in the fall. Worked great but had issues with the Wi-fi disconnecting so I uninstalled and went back to WebOS. Fast forward to Feb ... I gave CM9 a shot and really liked the enhanced interface. Curious to see how much drive space each OS was using I checked Tailor and this is what I have:

USB (media): 21.523 GiB
    Android (system): 304 MiB
    Android (cache): 200 MiB
    Android (data): 1.5 GiB
    Unused Space: 4.016 GiB

How to reallocate that 4.016 back to WebOS? It does not appear that this can be done in Tailor. I can only create an ext3 partition with the unused space in Tailor. How to I give that unused space back to the USB (media) so that it's back to being 25GiB like it was before the CM7 uninstall?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Generally speaking, one would unmount the usb media, check filesystem, resize as desired, check filesystem, then mount usb. All from Tailor.

Good posts to look at:
    Here Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing

and here:
    Tailor (On-Device Live Partition and Filesystem Editor) Beta Testing

If all you are doing is reclaiming the unused space back to USB; these posts have those steps.
    MudShark22- Thanks. I'll try this when I get home this evening.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast