Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAcosta View Post
    Should have been more specific. Can anyone see it for Pre 2?
    Are you sure that it's not on your phone. It won't show as available if it is. ( that has given me a Duh! moment more than once )
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Are you sure that it's not on your phone. It won't show as available if it is. ( that has given me a Duh! moment more than once )
    Definitely not as I deleted it with the intention of reinstalling it.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Yup, I see it in Preware on my FrankenPre 2. Type "free" in the search on the main page. It's in the WebOS Internals feed, so make sure that's available.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAcosta View Post
    Definitely not as I deleted it with the intention of reinstalling it.
    A restart is always worth a try.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    would some kind knowledgable member help me pull something off with freetether and my ps3? just to clear things up this is what im trying to do. Console Arcadia • View topic - [UPDATE Oct 12] ****PSN v0.9c r1 for CEX & DEX 3.55
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    PuffTheMagic,

I just loaded up fT on my Pre3 (previously AT&T) and am very happy with it. I read through this thread to see if there was any info on the restart after use issue, thank you for the explanation. Regardless of the need to restart this is a really useful app, and the restart is a minor inconvenience.

Best of luck with your school work, that is most important.

Regards,
    Glenn
    steeled likes this.
    So I bought a new dell XPS 12.. Its a fine piece of machinery but now free tether is as slow as molasses compared to my old laptop. I have no idea what is making the difference and I need some suggestions if anybody has some ideas.

I recall when I first got my touchpad it was slow like that but I cant recall if I made any changes to affect it or it just fixed itself
    Hey,
    I have been using freetether app since a couple of months and i find it really good . My only concern is , in the app its open access is default and i cant use password or wpa2 settings for this app,making the network accessible to anyone in vicinity. I am not looking for a robust secure network but I'd really like it being inaccessible to others looking for a free ride.Can someone help me out with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by pnkjtweets View Post
    Hey,
    I have been using freetether app since a couple of months and i find it really good . My only concern is , in the app its open access is default and i cant use password or wpa2 settings for this app,making the network accessible to anyone in vicinity. I am not looking for a robust secure network but I'd really like it being inaccessible to others looking for a free ride.Can someone help me out with this?
    You can change it by tapping wifi. This has to be done when wifi is off, in other words you are not using it (tethering) at the time
    Hi! Does anyone know if there is a possibility to change the channel at which freetether is broadcasting? The default channel appears to be so crowded at my place that not all devices can connect. If I leave my place and try it somewhere else the problem is gone, so this is really about changing the channel number.

Thanx!
    For the issue of having to restart Pre3 after stopping Freetether before you can use it again, I was playing around with the it and found couple of workaround that allows you to re-enable Freetether without a phone restart. Still not ideal, but faster than a full restart.

Both requires you get a root shell on your device, I used Xecutah to get a Xterm and issue the following commands.

Method 1:

ifconfig bridge0 down
    brctl delbr bridge0
    Method 2:

stop org.webosinternals.freetether
    start org.webosinternals.freetether
    Looking at the service code, when the service is stopped, as part of the clean up process it performs the clean up operation from method 1.

I started playing around with the code, to see if I can expose a button on the UI, that does this clean up. (or at least on a Pre3, when you turn off freetether sharing, to perform this clean up automatically.

But that requires adding a few extra methods to the service to expose the functionality. At the moment stuck trying to compile the service ( various missing libraries). Been following instructions at WebOS_Internals_PDK. If I make a break through will let everyone know.

If anyone has a link to instructions on how to setup a build environment to build webos internal C services, please let me know.
    Sorry to revive a dead thread, wondering if anyone has figured out a way to make freetether useful on a Pre3 without having to reboot after the first use?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Rnp likes this.
    i don't think anyone figured out a way around it. sounds like it would require kernel patching or something along those lines.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I have finally got around to create a really simple App that will perform the Clean Up on Pre3 without needing to get a shell access to issue the clean up commands or restart the device before you can use FreeTether after closing it down.

Its nothing much, just a simple Enyo2 App that wraps a shell script that issue those commands.

I have submitted it to WebOS Nation App Catalog - http://admin.webosnation.com/app/dow...tether-cleaner

You can see the source code at https://github.com/mobileteck/FreeTetherCleanup

It took a while to figure out how to write a service to run as root and how to get it installed in the right place on the device. This was my first attempt at both. So feel free to suggest improvements.
    Cool, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by roshang View Post
    I have finally got around to create a really simple App that will perform the Clean Up on Pre3 without needing to get a shell access to issue the clean up commands or restart the device before you can use FreeTether after closing it down.

Its nothing much, just a simple Enyo2 App that wraps a shell script that issue those commands.

I have submitted it to WebOS Nation App Catalog - http://admin.webosnation.com/app/dow...tether-cleaner

You can see the source code at https://github.com/mobileteck/FreeTetherCleanup

It took a while to figure out how to write a service to run as root and how to get it installed in the right place on the device. This was my first attempt at both. So feel free to suggest improvements.
    Hi

stupid question: I use freetether the other way round at times, i.e. I run it on my TP4G to use its connection on my Pre3.

Does this work on 3.0.5 as well?

Regards,
    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrSchwarz5 View Post
    Hi

stupid question: I use freetether the other way round at times, i.e. I run it on my TP4G to use its connection on my Pre3.

Does this work on 3.0.5 as well?

Regards,
    UW
    If it suffers from the same problem it might work. A quick way to verify that is if after shutting Freetether, get a shell and type ifconfig. If it shows bridge0 is still around, then chances are it suffers from the same issue, so hopefully the app will fix that too.

The app simply issue these two commands to clean up any left over interfaces.

ifconfig bridge0 down
    brctl delbr bridge0
    HerrSchwarz5 likes this.
    Roshan it does on TP4G/Go it seems. After I close FreeTether I always need to reboot before I can connect to wifi again via FreeTether. Will try your fix sometime this week. I also noticed email sync stops working when FreeTether is on sometime during the day. Will pull the logs for it sometimes as well :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Roshan it does on TP4G/Go it seems. After I close FreeTether I always need to reboot before I can connect to wifi again via FreeTether. Will try your fix sometime this week. I also noticed email sync stops working when FreeTether is on sometime during the day. Will pull the logs for it sometimes as well :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    hi Herrie,

did you come around to test this on a TP4G?
    I did not yet test it myself. [Edit] now I did test this on my TP4G and it lools like it works just fine!

Regards,
    UW
    Last edited by HerrSchwarz5; 01/19/2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: test on TP4G
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
    Will free tether work on 4G touchpad?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast