Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I only recently used it on my Pre3 and had to reboot to restart wifi tether also...
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Bumping this thread, again. Where's Puff The Magic Dragon? No solution to this (having to restart Pre3, in order to get FreeTether working again, after shutting it off?)

This is about my only complaint right now, also I thought we were getting an Enyo version of this app.....not that it really matters.

I've tried contacting him through Twitter as well, and nothing.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Hope he's okay...
    Got in contact with him. Direct quote:

"Too much school work to be doing at this point to be worrying about
    webOS any time in the near future. Plus I need a new phone so I am
    most likely moving to Android."

5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Bumping this thread, again. Where's Puff The Magic Dragon? No solution to this (having to restart Pre3, in order to get FreeTether working again, after shutting it off?)

This is about my only complaint right now, also I thought we were getting an Enyo version of this app.....not that it really matters.

I've tried contacting him through Twitter as well, and nothing.
    I've answered this question 1000 times now. The Pre3 issues are kernel related and there is nothing I can do about them.
    Hi. I know you have said several times that the Pre3 problem is Kernel related. Could you pls elaborate regarding the details?
    What is exactly in the kernel that prevents FT from working smoothly to turn off and restart the wifi hotspot?

thanks
    JP
    Unfortunately, I've got it even worse -- I have to reboot the phone after turning off FT, otherwise I can't launch anything.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Hi PuffTheMagic

I was doing some research on the wifi system of the PRE3 and now I realize why you say it is kernel related. PRE3 uses an Atheros 6k wifi/bt/sd chip and it seems that it is a POS programming wise.

Nevertheless, I came up with this thread on the OpenMoko project and maybe their solution may work for you. It deals with changing the driver for the Atheros 6000 chip and I am not sure if it would be totally applicable to the PRE3, but it looks quite hopeful for solving the wifi restart bug.

Openmoko Kernel - ar6000 and other SDIO/SDCard Wireless

http://openmoko-public-mailinglists....td3545844.html

I hope it helps.

JP.
    Vistaus likes this.
    One small feature that I think would be nice, since many people will probably be using this in an office environment, is to have an option for a non-broadcasting or "hidden" network. I realize that it's still possible for someone motivated enough to still identify a "hidden" network, but it would keep the vast majority of people from seeing it.
    steeled likes this.
    I know its not ideal, but at least with the connections tab you can monitor if anyone is trying to steal bandwidth
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus View Post
    One small feature that I think would be nice, since many people will probably be using this in an office environment, is to have an option for a non-broadcasting or "hidden" network. I realize that it's still possible for someone motivated enough to still identify a "hidden" network, but it would keep the vast majority of people from seeing it.
    It is interesting, I thought we had the option not to Broadcast the SSID, I see it is not there. I would welcome that setting.

On the other hand, you can always set the DHCP server not to hand out any lease and use fixed IPs for your connected devices, among some protections.

On the third hand, I do not think freetether tries at all to be THAT secure. If you are in such an insecure environment, maybe it is not such a good idea to deploy Freetether

JP
    Quote Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
    It is interesting, I thought we had the option not to Broadcast the SSID, I see it is not there. I would welcome that setting.

On the other hand, you can always set the DHCP server not to hand out any lease and use fixed IPs for your connected devices, among some protections.

On the third hand, I do not think freetether tries at all to be THAT secure. If you are in such an insecure environment, maybe it is not such a good idea to deploy Freetether

JP
    I don't believe configuring a "hidden" network is really a security measure, it's more to keep the network from being visible to the majority of nearby casual users. For example in a corporate environment where I might not want to publicize my hotspot to everyone around me or in environments where if someone noticed new SSIDs appearing in their list it could cause problems. I'd just rather it not be seen by anyone but experienced IT personnel specifically looking for something like that.

As far as I know the standard WPA2 Personal that is implemented by freeTether is plenty secure assuming a sufficiently long and nonstandard key is used.

This is mostly just a "the less seen the better" type of feature
    Vistaus and steeled like this.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    I've answered this question 1000 times now. The Pre3 issues are kernel related and there is nothing I can do about them.
    Hi, does it means that installing a custom kernel might solve the problem?

Cheers
    JD
    First of all, Thank you so much for this app! I have used it many times! I just have one question: does freetether support port forwarding?
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebenskuenstler View Post
    I have some problems on my EU Veer with WebOS 2.1.1.

My WLAN from my Veer is set up with security option WPA2. Both my laptop and Veer see it as open network anyway. In consequence the connect to my Veer fails. Android has no issues here. Tried also BT tethering between TP and Veer, but did also not work.With open wifi tethering is fine, but I do not want to play public hotspot, my data plan is very limited.

EDIT: Unlaunching the dev mode helps. However they are related.
    I have an identical issue to this - EU Veer, 2.1.1, TP sees my WPA2 Freetether network as open. I tried turning off dev mode as the previous poster suggested, but no bananas. Any fix for this?
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    thanks for the app been using it for years now, dont know what i would do with out it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    Is freetether still available? I can't seem to find it in webOS Quick Install or the Preware app...
    Still available in Preware on my Pre3 and TP
    I see pandas.
    yep its still there for me
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAcosta View Post
    Is freetether still available? I can't seem to find it in webOS Quick Install or the Preware app...
    Should have been more specific. Can anyone see it for Pre 2?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast