Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Is it just me, or does the phone get really hot, almost burning hot, if you charge the phone while using Free Tether? In fact, today I was using Free Tether for a while and the phone dod not get hot, but then after I had switched Free Tether off I put the phone on the Touchstone and the phone became burning hot. I had to restart the phone to stop the heating up. Whatever the issue is that causes the heating up while charging, it is definite that there is an issue with Free Tether not shutting down properly and this is with v1.2.0
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Had an odd experience tonight with freetether which has worked fairly well on my pre 3 in the past aside from the persistent CPU issue that's already documented. I started freetether but the ssid wouldn't show up on my touchpad. Restarted both devices and still the TP sat there searching for networks. I just left them in this state and started reading a web page on the phone. About 10 minutes later, the freeTether ssid just appears on the TP's list. Connected fine... Typing this through that connection. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
    I used FreeTether (version1.2.0) a lot while working up in NoCal last week with no issues, worked flawless. Many times I was in my car charging my Pre 3 while using FreeTether and my phone not only charged while using it, it also did not over heat. When I was finished using FreeTether, the app shut down fine.
    I am having the same issue with having to reboot my phone in order to use freeTether a second time. It shows it turns on but my TouchPad doesn't see it unless I reboot.

I would call it a mild pain but still well worth the hassle. Has anyone determined a fix for this?

Thanks--
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Is it just me, or does the phone get really hot, almost burning hot, if you charge the phone while using Free Tether? In fact, today I was using Free Tether for a while and the phone dod not get hot, but then after I had switched Free Tether off I put the phone on the Touchstone and the phone became burning hot. I had to restart the phone to stop the heating up. Whatever the issue is that causes the heating up while charging, it is definite that there is an issue with Free Tether not shutting down properly and this is with v1.2.0
    The phone definetely gets hotter when freetether is used, but I wouldn't call it burning hot. At least not in my case. I used freetether for an entire day with a desktop and it only got warmer, but not hot. I could touch without any problem...
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I am having the same issue with having to reboot my phone in order to use freeTether a second time. It shows it turns on but my TouchPad doesn't see it unless I reboot.

I would call it a mild pain but still well worth the hassle. Has anyone determined a fix for this?

Thanks--
    I think the solution will come from the developer :P But he has a life, too. All and all, it's a small gripe, given that the app is free and the tethering itself works just fine, much faster than on my Galaxy S on the same network.
    Quote Originally Posted by szlaeyer View Post
    The phone definetely gets hotter when freetether is used, but I wouldn't call it burning hot. At least not in my case. I used freetether for an entire day with a desktop and it only got warmer, but not hot. I could touch without any problem...
    Were you also charging the phone on the Tocuhstone while using FreeTether? In my case, the phone actually became burning hot. In fact, I used FreeTether for some time. Then after 'supposedly' turning it off, I put the phone on the Touchstone and after a while when I picked up the phone, it was literally burning hot. I then rebooted the phone, whihc resolved the issue. Have not used FreeTether again since then. A friend of mine too quit using FreeTether because he too complained that the phone would become burning hot.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    Same thing happens with my new Pre 2... It looks like my Nook is to blame, but I will have to wait to test it with my buddy's Pre...
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    Same thing happens with my new Pre 2... It looks like my Nook is to blame, but I will have to wait to test it with my buddy's Pre...
    I have a Pre2 from ATT with fresh copy of freeTether 1.2 (latest)

My Nook Color has CM7 on it as well and it will not connect to freetether either.
    I tried both Open and WPA2 but no dice.
    It acts like its going to but then disconnects and goes back to my other wireless access point.

I also have an HP touchpad which dual boots CM7.
    It WILL connect to freeTether on the pre when running CM7.
    It is fine while running WebOS too.

Very strange. Something about CM7 on the nook color.

Thanks--

i have this issue too... Am using a pre3.

altho a device restart is faster on a pre3 than on my old pre plus, its not really as painful to wait than before.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by rfreyder View Post
    I have a Pre2 from ATT with fresh copy of freeTether 1.2 (latest)

My Nook Color has CM7 on it as well and it will not connect to freetether either.
    I tried both Open and WPA2 but no dice.
    It acts like its going to but then disconnects and goes back to my other wireless access point.

I also have an HP touchpad which dual boots CM7.
    It WILL connect to freeTether on the pre when running CM7.
    It is fine while running WebOS too.

Very strange. Something about CM7 on the nook color.
    UPDATE: The CM7 version for the nook color does not do adhoc by default. there is a wpa_supplicant replacement "trick" that can be used to enable adhoc network connections.
    v1.2.0-2 works really slow for me over wifi. For about a minute it will be fast then it slows to a crawl where it is not really even usable.

This is on my Pre 2 on Sprint. I don't have MHS installed either that is not the problem.
    For anyone who wants to get USB tethering working on a Pre3, then try the following:
    Download the usbnet.inf (or usbnet-pre.inf) that is linked from various places around precentral or webosinternals.
    Open it in an editor that understands Linux line endings.
    Edit the file and replace the PID_0101 with PID_8056 (do a find/replace all...), and save it as something different so you know that it is the Pre3 version. You should then find you can now install it, and it works fine.
    The Pre3 uses a different Product ID, which is why the other file doesn't work, all you are doing is updating it so that it recognises the Pre3.

(Posted from a USB tethered UK Pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSladen View Post
    Edit the "windows-usbnet-pre.inf" file and replace the "PID_0101" with "PID_8056".
    The Pre3 uses a different Product ID, which is why the other file doesn't work.
    Nice tip, I suspected that the original INF file had something not working for Pre 3. But also, the guys in knowledge about this file should do something about it: Noticed that "$CHICAGO$" signature? That was Windows 95 internal code name (that's fifteen years ago), imagine how outdated it might be.

My problem is different, and I've suffered it on different Windows, webOS and FreeTether versions: As soon as I enable the USB interface in FreeTether, it reboots my phone. If it's not connected to the computer, it doesn't happen.

So I've modified the file, and started the USB interface in FreeTether with cable unplugged. Upon plugging it, Windows promptly detects a "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget", and allows me to install this "driver" (actually, the generic RNDIS drivers form part of Windows since ages). It adds the interface as "Local area connection 2". This is what the "IPCONFIG" command has to say:

Code:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.50
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.11
    So I can "ping precentral.net" (what else), and it works!

Code:
    Pinging precentral.net [166.70.42.10] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 166.70.42.10: bytes=32 time=197ms TTL=42
    I have a Palm Pre- w/ 2.1 and I downloaded this today. I'm also on the unlimited plan. So if I wanted to tether WI-FI, would I be charged extra? I'm just being safe.
    Is anyone else having a problem with enabling the Bluetooth tethering on an AT&T Pre3? If I try to do this, all I get is a the spinning indicator (it does turn on bluetooth if it wasn't already enabled, but nothing else). Am I neglecting to install a necessary patch or something?

Could it possibly because I don't have the cellular data connection enabled? Reading posts from the earlier version thread, I was led to believe that it should work with the WiFi connection I have the phone on. I want to do something like this WiFi->Pre3->bluetooth->notebook computer. It just appears that it's not able to initialize properly (and so the notebook computer isn't finding the PAN profile to use).
    I confirm: If I enable USB tethering while the cable is plugged, my Pre 3 locks up and, luckily, reboots. If I do it while unplugged, and then plug, no problem. This just happened connected to a very special Linux box: A Genesi Efika Smartbook.

Thanks--
    I still have this issue, is there any chance of it being fixed? Its pretty annoying having to restart if I want to wifi-tether..

The trigger appears to be turning the wifi switch to off, not close the app. Once turned off, the wifi tether won't work again. However I also find that having used BT, wifi won't work
    Last edited by Andyf; 12/12/2011 at 07:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Question: What kind of wireless network does freeTether create? Infrastructure or ad-hoc?
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    infrastructure