webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > The webOS Survival Kit
The webOS Survival Kit
Like Tree35Likes

Old 02/07/2013, 01:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

ipk's can be get DURING the install from App Catalog. Check media/internal/downloads, it's there during install (so only a few seconds usuallly), but you can copy it in this short timeframe using WOSQI for example.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 02/07/2013, 01:40 PM   #62 (permalink)

Some of my apps are not coming back after doctor, but still reside on other devices I have. So the goal is to copy off, 'ipk' the files and save for posterity.
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 02:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So i mentioned the name before in this thread, but perhaps that was too vague and as i posted already details in other threads months ago i'm doing it here again. It's
not exactly "IPK" saving, but simple save and recover of installed apps on webOS devices with anPDK-hybrid app:
L\'Haut-Parleur mybackup coded by Metaview

BACKUP:
- download mybackup.ZIP on Website above
- copy unzipped hybrid/PDK File (mybackup) to root of USB partition (/media/internals) or unzip directly on device if you have an app for that
- Completely reboot the device so that we are starting clean without any hanging apps.
- Check if you have enough space on USB partition as e.g. games could take up 100MB+ (each).
- Login via novaterm or on device with the preware app "wterm" as root (Default exec command: login -f root)
Code:
cd /
- Start app with folloeing vommsnd: (beware of unwanted touches on in the app - the button areas are big):
Code:
/media/internal/mybackup
- select BACKUP and wait from 10-40minutes depending on appcount/size
- all apps are stored/gzipped seperatly in /media/internal/mybackup
- this folder can then be moved to save place on your PCs HDD and be moved back again on restore needed

RESTORE:
- To restore make filesystem writeable:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /
cd /
/media/internal/mybackup
- whatever of the backupfiles is still in the /mybackup folder will be restored when using button RESTORE instead of BACKUP
- to restore only some apps move the not needed zips away from the MyBackup folder
- after restore, reboot device and the restored app icons will apear in the apropiate tab and apps should start.

Notice: Some special apps may do things (cmdline operations...) on install via IPK which will not be redone on restore with this method. Installing of the app ACL is e.g. one i can think of (but IPK is avail. for that). Most standard 3rd Party apps will work and e.g. recreate needed DBs on startup. I would not recommend restoring com.palm stock apps as the doctor could be a better solution for that. So perhaps move all of them out of the MyBackup folder (unless you know better).
Also use app Save&Restore to save data that is created by the app in DBs.

Backup/Restore tested on 1.4.5
Backup tested on 2.2.4
Backup/Restore tested on 3.0.5 (CM dualboot, LunaCE 4.9.10 and ACL installed)
Please post if this works in cross-webos-version scenario (2.x to 3.x) or even to openwebOS.

Running time and space of backup needed:
Pre1- : Saving all apps it had a runtime of 40minutes for 270MB data @146 Apps (be sure to have it on the touchstone)
Pre3: Saving all apps it had a runtime of 10minutes for 315 MB data @142 Apps

Last edited by gizmo21; 10/17/2014 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Updated big time in the advent of 15th Jan 2015
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HerrSchwarz5
Old 02/07/2013, 03:05 PM   #64 (permalink)

thanks for the link!
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 03:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

ipk copy is still more reliable though just more work ;-)

Old 02/07/2013, 04:23 PM   #66 (permalink)

Remember, webOS cloud root certificate expires July 23 of this year. I quickly checked the various webOS cloud sites regarding their certificates. webOS Developer Center will expire in September (not too big of a deal), the general webOS cloud services server will expire in a couple of years (but the certificate is issued by a third party), and the backup services use the current root certificate. So that means after July 23, you will still be able to activate your devices and log in with webOS Profile, but not be able to backup or restore from backups, and although App Catalog will still run none of the downloads will validate.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 05:25 PM   #67 (permalink)

None of that sounds particularly encouraging. Think we could get an answer out of them on whether or not they plan on renewing them? SSL certs are a drop on the bucket for a big corporation. Considering Touchpads and Pre3's are not very old, I think it's the right thing for them to do. But then their record of screwing over webOS owners is well-established.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 06:34 PM   #68 (permalink)

It would be in the best interest of HP to handle this, and handle it well. How well this gets resolved will be a sign to us and other investors whether HP is serious about caring for their products. Remember that HP is (purportedly) pitching a Professional Edition, which is mostly going to be about services. If they fail to support their old devices, who can trust them to properly support possible future devices?

Chances are they have to remake all the most current Doctors for all devices and their variants, and maybe try to push them through carriers or whatever. If they're willing to go to those lengths, and promptly, we might trust them a little bit more.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by Buddy1969 likes this.
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 02/07/2013, 06:39 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
... If they fail to support their old devices, who can trust them to properly support possible future devices?
Hahaha that is a funny statement right there! My answer is "Not me!"
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Old 02/08/2013, 02:23 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
So i mentioned the name before in this thread, but perhaps that was too vague and as i posted already details in other threads months ago i'm doing it here again. It's
not exactly "IPK" saving, but simple save and recover of installed apps on webOS devices with PDK-hybrid app:
L\'Haut-Parleur mybackup

- download mybackup.zip
- copy unzipped hybrid/PDK file to USB partition
- Login via novaterm or on device wterm as root (Default exec command: login -f root)
- cd /
- /media/internal/mybackup starts the PDK app
- select BACKUP and wait from 10-40minutes depending on appcount/size an devicespeed
- all apps are stored/gzipped seperatly in /media/internal/mybackup

Restore:
- To restore make filesystem writeable:
- mount -o rw, remount /
- cd /
- /media/internal/mybackup
- whatever of the backupfiles is still in the mybackup folder will be restored when using button RESTORE instead of BACKUP so can selectivly restore apps.

Backup/Restore tested on 1.4.5
Backup tested on 2.2.4
did not test on 3.x
Please post if this works in cross-webos-version scenario (2.x to 3.x) or even to openwebOS.

Running time of backup:
Pre1- : Saving all apps it had a runtime of 40minutes for 270MB data @146 Apps (be sure to have it on the touchstone)
Pre3: Saving all apps it had a runtime of 10minutes for 315 MB data @142 Apps
I'm not getting this to work on my Pre3. I'm connected with Novaterm. Nothing changes when I type cd / and when I type /media/internal/mybackup I'm told "not found"
Old 02/08/2013, 02:44 PM   #71 (permalink)

You didn't put the program mybackup in /media/internal.
Old 02/08/2013, 02:44 PM   #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
ipk's can be get DURING the install from App Catalog. Check media/internal/downloads, it's there during install (so only a few seconds usuallly), but you can copy it in this short timeframe using WOSQI for example.

im starting to miss "old" amiga workbench/dos methods again, back then as well as read/write permissions we also had a delete attribute, so we could have a folder set to allow read/write but not delete, and i think unfortunatly linux counts write as deleteable.

wonder if the same can be done to the downloads folder somehow to allow our ipk's in during download/install but they dont get deleted?
Old 02/08/2013, 02:52 PM   #73 (permalink)

I was thinking of having a script watch the folder for IPK's, you'd just have to make sure it is done downloading before copying it. Surely the installer app can be patched to not delete them.

Liked by gizmo21 likes this.
Old 02/08/2013, 03:09 PM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
I was thinking of having a script watch the folder for IPK's, you'd just have to make sure it is done downloading before copying it. Surely the installer app can be patched to not delete them.
i only thought of the above when i saw the /media/internal entry in our /etc/fstab, was wondering if the umask option or anything else in there could be abused to allow files to be written but not deleted, i was thinking of linux methods but im not sure how it all factors given that the internal partitions vfat and not ext?
Old 02/08/2013, 05:04 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
You didn't put the program mybackup in /media/internal.
I did!
Attached Images
File Type: png internalz_2013-08-02_180046.png (73.4 KB, 30 views) Email Attachment
Old 02/08/2013, 05:29 PM   #76 (permalink)

Try using autocomplete. Enter the first few letters of media, then internal, then mybackup. That'll guarantee the path is right.
Old 02/08/2013, 06:28 PM   #77 (permalink)

Thanks for the information You can call HP Corporate in Palo Alto 1-800-756-0608 opt 7 (Corporate Customer Relations) and voice your displeasure on HP's decision. Please take the time to do so.
sunshinelaughin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 10:10 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Try using autocomplete. Enter the first few letters of media, then internal, then mybackup. That'll guarantee the path is right.
Still not working. I'm probably doing something wrong. I connect with novaterm. Then I type "login -f root" (without quotes) and enter. Then I type "cd /" and enter. Then I type "/media/internal/mybackup" and enter.
Old 02/10/2013, 11:21 AM   #79 (permalink)

Does Save/Restore also backup the paid content for apps stored in cryptofs, such as expensive nDrive maps? If not, I have a minor addition to make to this post.

Not the least of which is to donate to the good folks who have built tools like InternalzPro that make it possible, which I'll be doing in short order. Thanks, guys.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 12:29 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
Still not working. I'm probably doing something wrong. I connect with novaterm. Then I type "login -f root" (without quotes) and enter. Then I type "cd /" and enter. Then I type "/media/internal/mybackup" and enter.
I think I know. The app was probably built with an older version of system libraries shipped, so the files weren't found/loadable. The system can't find the loader, and gives the message. linux - How can I find which ELF dependency is not fulfill? - Stack Overflow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0