webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > The webOS Survival Kit
The webOS Survival Kit
Like Tree32Likes

Old 11/29/2011, 06:36 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Move your contacts, calendar, tasks, etc to a third-party Synergy supplier like Google.

-- Rod
how to move it, or where to move it to. Has anyone provided more explication on this step?
fgdn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2011, 09:50 AM   #42 (permalink)

Move your contacts, calendar, tasks, etc to a third-party Synergy supplier like Google.

-- Rod

I have a Gmail and Google Calendar account, but, other than that, I'm not really sure what to do. Is this something that you need Preware or another homebrew app for?
kzanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2011, 10:00 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdn17 View Post
how to move it, or where to move it to. Has anyone provided more explication on this step?
in contacts go to Preferences & Accounts, change the default account to Google. In calendar, do the same. This is assuming you have a Google account & you've added It to your Accounts. Hope that helps.
toaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2011, 10:15 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaste View Post
in contacts go to Preferences & Accounts, change the default account to Google. In calendar, do the same. This is assuming you have a Google account & you've added It to your Accounts. Hope that helps.
And this will automatically move all my existing contacts stored on HP's servers to Google?
Old 11/29/2011, 11:52 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
And this will automatically move all my existing contacts stored on HP's servers to Google?
it will also make sure future contacts go to Google. Be sure to tap the sync now and Google should be updated with your contacts. There is also a thread on here about importing your contacts to Google, but it may be just for phones
toaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: T-Pad
Old 11/30/2011, 12:36 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
No, it will not move any existing data. There is a method to export them using the hidden cellbrite app in the dialer (on phones anyway, not sure about touchpad) into a .vcf file, that you can copy to your pc and import into gmail. I don't have the thread link handy, but its on here.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2011, 12:44 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
Is there a way to re-direct Tasks & Notes from the in-house Palm Tasks & Palm Memos apps? I keep very little there (opting for the Synced Chapura Tasks & Notes apps instead).

The only way I can imagine migrating data in Palm Tasks/Palm Memos would be to, in-device, physically cut & paste data into an app that syncs elsewhere (ie: Chapura, Toodledo, etc..)

Side-note: Rod -- thanks for all your hard work: very much appreciated.

Side-note 2: In the command-line section, it might also be worth noting that the on-device 'terminal' app is extremely handy to have: provides a fail-safe if NovaCom drivers are missing, etc..
Old 12/02/2011, 03:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

Will a webOS Internalz/Preware paid 'App Store' also be a part of the survival mechanism?

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2011, 07:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Will a webOS Internalz/Preware paid 'App Store' also be a part of the survival mechanism?
A decision on that would be made at the point where closure of the HP App Catalog is announced.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2011, 01:35 PM   #50 (permalink)

I see that in this "survival kit" there is a link to a guide that explains how to disassemby the HP Touchpad in order to change the battery. What about similar links to oter webOS devices disassembly tutorial? For example i read a similar tutorial right on webosinternalz on how to diassemply a Veer. A direct link to that tutorial would be usefull when reading the survival kit. What do you think?
Trovatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2011, 02:51 PM   #51 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

You don't have to completely disassemble a phone to change it's battery, though. Merely pop the cover.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 11:42 AM   #52 (permalink)

Re: Saving Tokens, is this something I should do periodically (like Save/Restore) or is doing it once enough.

Palm History:

Palm Personal => Palm Personal with Palm Pro upgrade card => Palm III => Palm IIIx => Palm IIIxe => Palm T|X => Palm Pre
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 12:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Re: Saving Tokens, is this something I should do periodically (like Save/Restore) or is doing it once enough.
Once is enough - they only change if you doctor (and then it's just dmSets that potentially changes, but it is rewritten on each doctor anyway).

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 08:22 AM   #54 (permalink)

Given what we have recently heard re: legacy support in openwebos;
if one has not yet perused the survival kit and set up their backups, perhaps one should begin now.

I have done so for my entire fleet of devices:
2 pre (-) (sprint)
2 Pre3 (one WR, one ATT)
1 ATT Veer
2 TP Wifi
1 TP ATT
1 TP Opal

Takes less than 30 minutes to get it all together. Highly recommended.

- Thomas
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 08/08/2012, 07:16 PM   #55 (permalink)

Proof the end is comming: I found a Pre2 for 5$ at Salvation army.....

A tear slipped from my eye.
gfdos.sys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/08/2012, 08:46 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post

Wow that would so make my day!
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2012, 02:25 AM   #57 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post

Oh wow now i know where to look for a spare one

The european UMTS unlocked ones are still for 130-190Eur here in ebay.
Old 02/07/2013, 10:26 AM   #58 (permalink)

As its now 2013 (per Rod's 1st post) and given advances in openwebos, current issues with apptuckerbox servers, and certain apps pulled / no longer supported, I believe its time to bump this thread for those who have not yet 'pre'pared for longer term survival of their devices.

One item I will be working on is 'copying' all apps to an off-device location for future installs (e.g. Re-doctoring) as a fail safe.
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 11:16 AM   #59 (permalink)

So is there an easy way to copy apps for backup? The wiki doesn't have those steps, as the App Catalog is still available.
Old 02/07/2013, 11:32 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
So is there an easy way to copy apps for backup? The wiki doesn't have those steps, as the App Catalog is still available.
i used shiftyaxels wifi sharing app combined with a file sync program to save all my applications to dropbox and or box.com, does mean having my PC running with a sync app on but its better than nothing.

current trying Conduit from the repository, was going to see if 2 sets of 2way folder sync's would work to have /media/internal/appdata (and anything else i can think of) sync'd to dropbox and having both only sync newer files, im assuming any app that saves its data/saves into there would sync newer data to the pre3/touchpad, meaning a save on the touchpad would then get auto uploaded to my pre3 so i could carry on.

for now tho i only have backups of my installed apps and not ipk's which would be more useful tbh.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0